Need advice on EDC (around $50).

Need advice on EDC (around $50).

Main criteria is durability and easy to use/sharpen. Currently I’m thinking about Camillus EDC. Any other ideas ?

cant go wrong there. The EDC offers a lot of bang for the buck. I will through in a couple of others though.

Outdoor Edge Paragee, another Darrell Ralph design. Construction similar to the EDC.

Benchmade Griptilian, mini or full size.

Spyderco Endura/Delica in VG-10

I don't think you can beat the Camillus EDC at that price. The Paragee is also nice but I prefer Camillus. Have fun.

92degrees,dennis - could you say why you prefer the edc over the paragee and maybe what the major pros/cons are between them? I've only seen the paragee mentioned a couple times here (usually in conjuction with the edc) and I'm curious to know more about it.

To learn more about the "paragee" run a search here or go to.....
www.outdooredge.com for a look.

Of the two ( both designed by Darrell Ralph by the way) I'd give the
edge to the "Paragee" simply because of the blade steel ....Aus-8.
Now don't get me wrong I'm life long Camillus fan / user it's just that
for an everyday easy to shapen blade it really is hard to beat Aus-8.
For a $50 user it's a such a deal.

Now if it's the visuals of the EDC that's got you going you have your
choice of blade steels for more money. However, none of them are as
easy to care for as Aus-8.

Make your pick and you won't be wrong with either one.

The Paragee is a straighter design, not as much forward cant to the blade. It also has a slightly finer point.
The lock bar on the Paragee can be flexed rather easily.
Both are good designs. I prefer the design of the Paragee, but the EDC is, IMO, the better built knife.

Paul

i dont hear much about hte paragee, did they advertise it much ? or was it overshadowed (as someone has said) by the release of the edc ?

both are designed by darrel ralph (as said earlier) and are excellent designs. i dont know about the paragee, but the EDC is extremely comfortable in the hand, though it may be a bit small for larger people. both look very ergonomic, and i know the EDC definately is ergonomic.

i would take the EDC, its just over 50 dollars for the 154 CM version (im pretty sure of this) and is very well built. cant go wrong with it. and should something go wrong, i hear camillus has an excellent repair department, and will take care of you

Daniel

Thanks all, I did that search for the paragee (duh!) and did find lots of opinions. It looks like the basic idea is that you can't go wrong with either - the only consistent advantage with the EDC is if you want to spend more you can get a better blade steel. I found it interesting that although the paragee has steel frame and the edc is titanium, the paragee is a hair lighter.

Thanks again.

My Paragee is every bit as solid as the EDC. If I were going to choose between the two I would pick the one that looked the best to me. Which design do you like the best?

I believe both use steel frames actually.

Dennis - you're right, of course, why did I think the EDC was ti framed? (that'd be a great price for that!!) Must be somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain I conflated a dr custom edc w/ the cuda version. :)

As for which I like better, I like the blade style on the edc better, I like a fat blade, but the handle better of an apogee. :)

Delta Z has a close-out going on their website. You can get one of their High Tech folders for $49.00! THese knives were $200.00 originally and I saw them yesterday at a knife show for $140.00! I won one of these in a knife forums raffle and have to say that it seems like a lot of knife for the money. Clip point blade about 4.5" of Sandvik 12C27 that comes sharp and holds up well to cardboard cutting. The liner lock seems pretty solid as well. The one I got is the blue burl handle, and personally I would prefer the one piece aluminum scales that are features in the closeout. The website says that the blades are 420C but mine is stamped 12C27 and so are the ones in the pictured on their site.

I am not familiar with the Paragee, but I was looking over the EDCs at the show yesterday as the idea of a Talonite blade in a $200.00 ish package was appealing, and the knife is certainly competently built, I just couldn't fall in love with it. So to console myself, I bought a Microtech Socom Elite....:)

Hope this helps

jmx

Back