Need help/info on this knife

I would also say that it's older than the 60's. Hard to say for sure but could be an Imperial .
Or Colonial.
Both made "no name" "(Made In) USA" knives.
It MIGHT be a 1950's/1960's "Gas Station Special". Not all were low quality junk.
Another possibility is Woolworth's, or another five n dime, or retailer, sold it from a point of sale display by the cash register.

Nice find. 👍

Last edited:
Never mind it's not a UTICA the other side of their awl/ punch was quite a bit different in the era of this style of knife.
based on the long nail pull and swedges it could be a PAL cutlery knife, but most certainly made in New York either way.
Based on the brass liners it was likely not made during ww2, but whether it's before or after I'm not sure though I'm thinking 1930's.

Never mind it's not a UTICA the other side of their awl/ punch was quite a bit different in the era of this style of knife.
based on the long nail pull and swedges it could be a PAL cutlery knife, but most certainly made in New York either way.
Based on the brass liners it was likely not made during ww2, but whether it's before or after I'm not sure though I'm thinking 1930's.

I Googled Pal Cutlery and found almost the exact same knife! But it had a pen blade instead of the awl

PAL wasn't around in the 1930's but it could be a post war era knife. I have a PAL with a similar clip blade although the long pull doesn't extend to the swedge as far as this one.

Looks to me like a Kingston K320 cattle knife, WW2 or sometime there after. Many were only stamped USA on the tang.
The only Kingston cattle knife I could find online ( only a picture of one side, no model number visible) had a more hump back spey blade that looked a lot like the Utica examples I see.
Other Kingston knives I could find online also had that hump back spey blade as well.
I couldn't find anything like this having a straight spined spey with a swedge or a long pull on the other side and certainly not both.
Google images has gone to crap the past few years and I don't turn up as many relevant images anymore, so maybe I just didn't find the same images you did ?

I think that particular spey blade will probably be the key to identifying it.

The only Kingston cattle knife I could find online ( only a picture of one side, no model number visible) had a more hump back spey blade that looked a lot like the Utica examples I see.
Other Kingston knives I could find online also had that hump back spey blade as well.
I couldn't find anything like this having a straight spined spey with a swedge or a long pull on the other side and certainly not both.
Google images has gone to crap the past few years and I don't turn up as many relevant images anymore, so maybe I just didn't find the same images you did ?

I think that particular spey blade will probably be the key to identifying it.

You are correct, the spey blade was different on the pics I saw as well.

Thanks everybody for your input! Very much appreciated!

I started working on the knife this morning, it needs a bit more TLC but i think it's going to clean up quite well eventually. I don't have power tools so it takes a while to get the deep scratches out 😂 I included a little before/after progress update.

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Joshua

Thanks everybody for your input! Very much appreciated!

I started working on the knife this morning, it needs a bit more TLC but i think it's going to clean up quite well eventually. I don't have power tools so it takes a while to get the deep scratches out 😂 I included a little before/after progress update.

Greetings from the Netherlands!
Joshua

That really is a cool knife :thumbsup:

I think most here would advise against being too agressive with the cleaning. Just the removal of any active surface rust, and cleaning out the joints as best as possible, to restore some “snappiness” to the action. You won't get the pitting out without destroying the blades, and some amount of patina is considered a good thing. I wouldn’t take it any further than what you have right there.

Back