New Work Sharp Professional Precision Adjust sharpening system.

Just picked it up & came home. Will put it to use after dinner this evening. Seems like it fixes many of the traditional issues that many of the guided systems have.

Ok. 1 knife done. Worked excellent. Hair shaving sharp.
Is it worth the msrp: No I don't think so. I caught it for substantially less than the msrp. I feel that it is worth what I paid. The jury is out as to the longevity of the diamond stones but I think the aftermarket has already stepped in & stuff is already available.

The fact that you can adjust the angle to 0.25° of accuracy is impressive. And the tiny little plastic support does an excellent job of keeping your blade straight and centered and from deflecting off center from the weight of your sharpening stroke, if that makes sense. Very user friendly, very easy for a beginner to get excellent results and repeatable results, which is also very important.

I have the basic version and it seems to work well, I wonder if the pro upgrades are worth the extra $$_

I think they are worth what I paid. Msrp is $300. I paid way less than $200.

I have now resharpened about 1/3 of my knife collection. So I have real world experience with the new sharpener. These are my thoughts:

They hit a home run with this system BUT IMHO, THEY SHOULD KEEP EXPANDING with this sharpening system. What I mean really when I say that is this: I have a LOT OF BIG CHOPPER KNIVES OF 1/4" - 3/8" THICK SPINES and it is still difficult, because many big choppers thin the blade right before the spine, which makes it very difficult to hold firmly and to hold it evenly on both sides.

But do not despair, because Work Sharp could easily fix these issues by just designing a "new and improved" clamping system insert. It needs to be able to insert your spine much deeper into it, and be able to easily take a 3/8" thick spine, and stick out farther, for blades 3-4" wide, and have a different support piece to help stabilize a 18" long, thick steel knife while sharpening.

I don't know if they will do this or how long it would take. But I sure hope that they make these improvements or just design a different sharpening system for giant chopper knives. Lots of people love big choppers.

So, 1/3 of my collection is now absolutely hair popping sharp, from handle to the very point. 1095 Cro Van, stainless steel, D2 tool steel, S7 tool steel, 5160 tool steel, 1055 steel, 1075 steel and a bunch more that I am forgetting.

SURE HOPE WORK SHARP READS THIS. Always awesome to see a company improve their product from customers.

I seriously don't know too many people who have a 1/4" thick BK&T BK2, that will pop hair from the handle to the very tip. I use my Tormek T4 Bushcraft to get my grinds on my big choppers equal and sharp, but try to finish them by hand. There is just something primal about finishing them by hand, then checking to make sure it shaves.

Last edited:
I think they are worth what I paid. Msrp is $300. I paid way less than $200.

I have now resharpened about 1/3 of my knife collection. So I have real world experience with the new sharpener. These are my thoughts:

They hit a home run with this system BUT IMHO, THEY SHOULD KEEP EXPANDING with this sharpening system. What I mean really when I say that is this: I have a LOT OF BIG CHOPPER KNIVES OF 1/4" - 3/8" THICK SPINES and it is still difficult, because many big choppers thin the blade right before the spine, which makes it very difficult to hold firmly and to hold it evenly on both sides.

But do not despair, because Work Sharp could easily fix these issues by just designing a "new and improved" clamping system insert. It needs to be able to insert your spine much deeper into it, and be able to easily take a 3/8" thick spine, and stick out farther, for blades 3-4" wide, and have a different support piece to help stabilize a 18" long, thick steel knife while sharpening.
SURE HOPE WORK SHARP READS THIS. Always awesome to see a company improve their product from customers.

I seriously don't know too many people who have a 1/4" thick BK&T BK2, that will pop hair from the handle to the very tip. I use my Tormek T4 Bushcraft to get my grinds on my big choppers equal and sharp, but try to finish them by hand. There is just something primal about finishing them by hand, then checking to make sure it shaves.

I think the pro model is easily worth the usual retail price of $250. It will sharpen almost any knife except for very big or flexible blades. For that, you need something like a Hapstone R2 Black, which runs around $500 with stones, or perhaps a Kazak Model 100, which costs even more.

But I do like the idea of an alternative clamp that opens wider and deeper.

For major reprofiling, a Tormek would indeed be very nice. I use the Hapstone or Kazak with extra coarse stones, but it still can take an hour or more.

Still, I use the Work Sharp Professional Precision Adjust more than any of the other 5 sharpening systems I have for folding and outdoor knives.

Back