Not Getting Expected Results

RLB0414

Gold Member
I have the workshop Ken Onion addition and cannot get a decent edge on any knife. Not sure what the issue is. Following directions but not getting what I want.
Any and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated

can you provide a bit more detail? What results are you getting currently? Personally, i've found this device to be one of the most simple powered sharpeners to use and get sharp blades fast with the one caveat that unless you follow their instructions to the T, you may experience excess metal removal.

can you provide a bit more detail? What results are you getting currently? Personally, i've found this device to be one of the most simple powered sharpeners to use and get sharp blades fast with the one caveat that unless you follow their instructions to the T, you may experience excess metal removal.
After following the directions I have a full knife. For a larger knife it might work better but smaller knives such as a case Texas jack or even small rapala filet never get sharp. I get better results using a ceramic rod but that is not always the answer

After following the directions I have a full knife. For a larger knife it might work better but smaller knives such as a case Texas jack or even small rapala filet never get sharp. I get better results using a ceramic rod but that is not always the answer
not sure I follow...are you getting good results with large blades but NOT small blades? Like nearly every other sharpening system, aim to develop a burr (wire edge) from sharpening one side only. once you feel the burr, proceed to the other side to deburr.

not sure I follow...are you getting good results with large blades but NOT small blades? Like nearly every other sharpening system, aim to develop a burr (wire edge) from sharpening one side only. once you feel the burr, proceed to the other side to deburr.
Large blades are ok. Small blades not so much

Buy some cheap goodwill cutlery to practice. Go slow, use the correct belts. Hair shaving edges every time. Some knives may take a little more work, getting the angle correct, but the only knife I’ve ever given up on was a Miller Bros M8 at 5/16ths thick. And a FAT edge, it’ll get a working edge but I usually stop there.

Keep working at it till you find what works for you.

Back