"Old Knives"

These just came to me. I will not be "restoring" away that approximately 150 years of use history the previous owners put on them.

KDSxS5ph.jpg

Joseph Rodgers small 2 blade Lamb

One thing of interest, there is no liner between the blades.

That's a good looking J. Rodgers Lamb Foot model which dates to the early post WWII era with those blade tang stamps.
Enclosed is a catalog illustration from 1961 which shows a similar model with "Black" (plastic) handles.
No option is listed for bone handles as seen on your model, so yours most likely dates to the 1950s.
The lack of a center liner is uncommon for a two-blade Lamb foot knife.

Lambfoot 2 Blade Rodgers 1961.jpg

Nice knives cray, Steve, and Glen. I'd like to have seen that in its original shape. Was it a spey or a special?

Nothing super rare, just super nice condition. I missed out on the peachseed but if this is second place, I'm fine with being the first loser ;) :) A nice Schrade Cut Co Barlow, with awesome covers, with only one small chip near the butt. Full blades that are centered and solid with zero play:)
GkiNM3.jpg

0WG3f2.jpg

0KfmGA.jpg

jF8cjD.jpg

Beautiful old Schrade, Paul! :thumbsup:

Thank you Charlie, it is probably my favorite barlow in my collection. I will always wonder what the story is behind this knife, was it bought as a gift for someone that went off to WW2 and never came back. Why did it remain unused tied in the gift box? I almost wanted to leave it in the box as found but the light layer of rust was too much to ignore, at least I have the pictures.

What a cool (and mysterious) old knife, Augie. Definitely one of those times you wish an old knife could tell a story.

I just picked up this Rodgers, which also has no center liner...

View attachment 2531000

Interesting blade combo on that one, Glenn. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as some of y’all when it comes to old knives, is full clip/full spey a combination you see a lot?

I just caught up on several pages of this thread. Man, that “restoration” video was tough to watch. 😳 Those of you who didn’t make it to the end missed a gem, where the guy says, “Sometimes you just have to let an old knife be an old knife,” after he’d just buffed and Dremel’ed the absolute hell out of it. 🤣🙄

Interesting blade combo on that one, Glenn. I’m not nearly as knowledgeable as some of y’all when it comes to old knives, is full clip/full spey a combination you see a lot?

Yes, more common on English knives. Also, the Moose pattern used that combo a lot, albeit the blades were on opposite ends.

Back