Opinions on D2 steel?

Mitchell Knives

Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Recently, I've found a few knives that I like that are made of D2 steel. I've read the steel info under the knowledge base section, and it seems to be a good steel. Can anyone offer their own personal experience with this steel? How is the edge holding and toughness? Since so many custom makers use it, D2 must be pretty good. Thanks.

There's a pretty good discussion starting a few threads down.

"CPM 420V or D2 ? Which would you choose and why?"

My personal experiences with D-2 have all been positive. It's a very tough steel that really holds an edge. In theory it is more susceptible to rusting than the full stainless steels, but rather casual normal care has kept me from having any problems with that. Unless you expect to use a knife around salt water a lot I think D-2 is one of the best steels available.

Several of my favorite knives are in D-2, including my Dozier Texas #6 and one of my REKAT Sifus. I am looking forward to having a Camillus CUDA Maxx in D-2 soon. :D

--Bob Q

bquinlan - The Camillus CUDA Maxx was the exact knife I was looking at. D2 and a frame lock...sweet. I read somewhere that the knife had tested to over 1000 lbs. Hopefully they'll have them shipping on time.

Back