Pearlite to Martensite - Misc WIP's

RyanW

One of my favorite parts of knife making is the Heat Treat and Quench. It is what makes a piece of steel work as a knife!!

I will do my best to frequently post updates in this thread... If you like WIP's and have questions this is the place!!

Last edited:
Klark's Guardless Fighter:
Steel: 1/4″ 1075 HC (W/Hamon)
OAL: 12.25"
Blade: 7"
Handle:
Misc: Tapered Tang, Sharpened Clip,
Sheath: Buy Brown Kydex Back Scabbard

Here is the Blade Drilled and Profiled

Blade is Rough Ground and Tapered the Tang

Clay Coat for Differential Heat Treat

Here we have the Post Heat Treat Photo...

and the Post Temper photo

Got the blade Machine Finished, Hand Sanded, Etched Logo and polished out the Hamon... Loving it, always worry about knives that will have a sharpened Clip getting that top edge fully hardened with Clay below it! Got Lucky :D

Finished up the Klark Fighter!!

Last edited:
I have had a few orders for the “Devil’s Cleaver” I built for the Jerzee Devil Halloween Buildoff (CLICK ME). I wanted to keep that a one of a kind so I made some modifications to the original design… And I like it!

Cleaver Specs:
Steel: 3/16″ 1095 (with Hamon)
OAL: 15.5″
Blade: 10.75″
Handle: Black G10, Red/Orange/Yellow Spacers, Grey TeroTuf Bolster, Black G10 Liner
Misc: Toxic Mosaic Pins, Lanyard Tube
Sheath: Buy Brown Kydex (Multi Color)

1. I had ICI (New Jersey Steel Baron) Water Jet the blank due to the difficult curves and size of the blade, They do great work! Next: I will be drilling the handle out a little more and correcting the 1/4″ Pin Holes with an #F bit (Slightly larger than .250″)

Here I have the Blade Rough Ground, Not tapering the tang on this one because I want to keep as much weight in the cleaver as possible to add to the Strike weight. That is also why I did not do the usual Skeletonizing of the handle that I usually do.

Here we have The Cleaver Clayed Up ready for Heat Treat

WOW... this cleaver has a lot of surface to hand sand! Spent a good portion of today hand sanding her... There is a nice hamon under there!

Here I have my Logo Etched on the blade and Polished out the Hamon

Have the Cleaver finished up and ready for David and some Kydex Magic

Still need to clean up the spine sanding a little, just wanted to show a top view

Last edited:
Posted a few photo updates on the Klark Fighter and Cleaver... Should have some photos of the Hamon on the Cleaver SOON!

I love seeing these threads. Thanks for sharing, sir.

The Hamon on that cleaver looks great.:thumbup:

I have very little experience (none) with metallurgy, but is there a reason that you don't put clay all the way to the butt of the handle?

Thanks Cooper! I dont clay all the way to the butt because I only quench the blade and dont fully dunk it (Usually) Sometimes I clay all the way to the end.

I have the Cleaver All finished up and updated the thread...

Plan on making some progress on Klark's "Guardless Fighter" this coming week! Thanks for looking...

C'mon.................let's see that fighter in 1075 finished out. :D

Package headed your way as of first thing this past Saturday morning. ;)

Haha I am hoping to get an update on the 1075 Fighter here by Tuesday... Really excited to get the package John! I will post up some photos in the "Lets see your collection thread"

Thanks everyone for following... (hiding this double post)

Nice job Ryan. That fighter looks awesome. I just did a bowie in 1075 that has a sharpened clip and had to do the same thing. It worked out for me too. Have to show you when it's done.

I like the shape of this one here.

Finished the Fighter... now off the David Brown for some kydex

how do you get that hamon to come out after heat treat? not familiar with this process. how do you polish it out to show the hamon?

also, what are the black pins made of in that guardless fighter? carbon fiber? g10? canvas micarta? i like that look alot.

Holy lightning strike good ness! Well done!
Thanks Jonas!!

how do you get that hamon to come out after heat treat? not familiar with this process. how do you polish it out to show the hamon?

also, what are the black pins made of in that guardless fighter? carbon fiber? g10? canvas micarta? i like that look alot.

Hey Hopper thanks for posting! I did a WIP A while back that outlines my entire Hamon Process you can find it here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/997744-My-Hamon-Process

The Black pins are Micarta, USA knifemaker usually has them.

my friend, your work just keeps on impressing!

Back