Phill Hartsfield style Bowie

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So for anyone who doesn’t know, I am a huge fan of Phill Hartsfield’s knives 👍 A million years ago when I was 17, I got to handle a Bowie he made called The One. Well I could never afford one and now Phill is gone. Chances are slim for finding one now. Well I used my memory and a lot of drawing paper to come up with this inspired piece 😎 I used .262 thick 5160 and natural canvas Micarta for mine. I know I’m running a little larger than Phill’s version but I wanted a monster Bowie! Overall I’m at 14 3/4in with a 9 1/4in blade. Weight is 28oz! Hefty Bowie for sure👍 The grinds are very similar too in that I’ve zero ground the bevels but I put the final edge on at 20degrees on each side. The false edge is also zero ground but I’ve dulled it to not have it cutting sharp. I’m planning on having a lot of fun with this one this Summer!!!!

IMG_3471.jpegIMG_3472.jpeg

That is a very WILD looking BOWIE!!!

ONE of the intimidating one I think I've ever seen. But simultaneously, breathtaking!

I have always admired Mr Hartsfield's working art, I was never fortunate enough to have handled any of it but I looked at all the pictures I could find. I believe he would be honored to have inspired your work just by the fact you held that memory so strongly all these years later. Beautiful knife , I hope you do more knives inspired by his.

Very nice Bill. Let us know how she plays. It looks like a real fun chopper.

n2s

Last edited:
Back