pilot survival knife question

BigAl62

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what the numbers mean on the pommel of pilot survival knives? I know Camillus also made these. Is it a date or a military spec number maybe? I know it's not a model number because mine is an Ontario 499.

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpg
    IMG_6195.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Date of Manufacture.

My question has always been why? Those and MLK knives are dated, I can’t think of any other issued knives that were dated.

It's actually the date of the design revision by the government, for the 499. More about that here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ontario-499-questions.1888961/#post-21843271

I was issued an Ontario 499 pilot knife by the Navy in the fall of 1982. The date stamp on the pommel is 2-80.
Thanks. I really did do a search for an answer but that thread didn't come up. That was good information. Do Camillus versions also show the design revision date? So if there was a list of design revisions out there, it would be possible to approximate a date of manufacture sometime between the date of revision and date of the next revision?

Here's a 06/91 revision (not my photo, pic swiped from a seller on a popular auction site) and a similar photo of my 03/11 knife. The only external difference I can see is the "saw" teeth extend all the way out to the swedge on the 91 version and they are back a bit on mine.

Attachments

• IMG_6191 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_6191 - Copy.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l960 - Copy.png
    s-l960 - Copy.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 4
  • s-l960 (1) - Copy.png
    s-l960 (1) - Copy.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I stand corrected on the Ontario dates interesting stuff.

The Camillus JPK Knives have at least 28 dates on the pommels. Hard to believe there were that many changes.

The Camillus knives were stamped with the date of manufacture after they switched to the pommel mark from the blade. I think that was in 67. I know I was still issued one with a blade mark in 68. Nothing to do with changes in the model.

The Camillus knives were stamped with the date of manufacture after they switched to the pommel mark from the blade...
As far as I know most collectors, and myself, have always believed they were the date they were manufactured. I'll remain open to any proof to the contrary. Until then I'll stick with the date of manufacture.

Frank Trzaska, who is probably the biggest military knife historian in the US right now, says it's a date stamp too. He has an article cataloging the major changes here - https://www.knifemagazine.com/darwinism-in-the-knife-field-jet-pilots-knife/ , graciously supplied by Knife Magazine (Knife World).

The blade to pommel change was requested in Early 66, started 67. Apparently, they were allowed to use up excess blade stock, so you could have a blade and pommel marked knife, but no-one has ever seen one to my knowledge.

I really wish Camillus kept the 6" as a civilian offering, that seems the right size for it.

Last edited:
Frank Trzaska, who is probably the biggest military knife historian in the US right now, says it's a date stamp too. He has an article cataloging the major changes here - https://www.knifemagazine.com/darwinism-in-the-knife-field-jet-pilots-knife/ , graciously supplied by Knife Magazine (Knife World).

The blade to pommel change was requested in Early 66, started 67. Apparently, they were allowed to use up excess blade stock, so you could have a blade and pommel marked knife, but no-one has ever seen one to my knowledge.

I really wish Camillus kept the 6" as a civilian offering, that seems the right size for it.
If Frank Trzaska states that then it's Official. In the military edged weapons world his words are as good as gold.

Back