Pimped HK34/14200

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Here is one I fixed up for myself. First I Waved the blade. then I made some red linen Micarta scales for it to make the knife slide in and out of my pocket easier. The grippy rubber texture of the sanoprene grips from the factory just made using the Wave too difficult. After I installed the scales I debated about the finish I wanted and went ahead and bead blasted the finish on them for just the right amount of grip texture. While I was blasting I went ahead and blasted all the screw heads and pocket clip to wipe off that original black finish.

Its a sweet heart now. I really like these HK knives and the Axis lock is fast moving up to become my favorite lock mechanism.

Thanks for looking.

STR

Sweet work Bud! I would love one in green canvas micarta. I always enjoy seeing pictures of your work, really inspiring . Steve

Steve great work on your favorite knife. I know it is a knife you always rave about and now you have made it better.

That looks great. Was the factory handle material similar to the 420 Snody model? They sure use a lot of screws. No worries of a scale falling off eh?

Thanks guys. Yeah at 9 screws per side they are not messing around. Actually three of those I added to fill the holes for the pocket clip on the left side.

I think scaling the 420 is certainly possible and in many ways it is much easier. These Axis lock folder have to have the inside of the handle routed out for the spring to work. It is not for the faint at heart. One other thing that can throw you off is the fact that their pivot pin has a flat side so it can't be turned. This make drilling the hole round quite difficult so you have to double and triple check the pivot hole before drilling. If its off just a micron it throws the whole handle off and you have to start over.

STR

Takes a lot of guts to work on your favorite knife. How many knives have you put waves on? do you use a dremel? What cuting tool? The diamond circular attachment?

I stopped counting after 50.

I have a high speed water spray handpiece and silicon carbide cutting wheels as well as several specialized grinders and attatchments to do the job right.

I've engineered this HK with some grip strip on the thumb side which allows me to use the Wave without the characteristic reposition of the hand once it is out. With this one it comes out just the way you hold it now.

I love it!

My pants and my wife don't though. :D

STR

I love that knife and what you've done to it. Would you consider doing it for a fellow member?:D

Back