Please help! Antique kitchen knives

Hello enthusiasts!

I'd love your help to understand whether some beautiful knives I inherited from my grandpa are worth anything. He was a knife enthusiast and hunter, so it's possible...Images linked here.

Both are labelled "Old Hickory." The larger (10in blade) has inscribed on the blade, "Coast Cultery Co, Orlando Oregon" and the smaller (8in blade) has "Tru-Edge Ontario Knife Co, Made in the USA" engraved on it. They're quite weighty.

Any thoughts you have are very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Mary

Coast Cutlery was/is a cutlery distributor to independent hardware store in the Northwest. I think they are still in business but have probably chanced their business model as there are few independent hardware stores left.

from memory Old Hickory were fairly mass produced? I wouldn't scrap them, but the value is probably more sentimental. They would look cool as display pieces

Hello enthusiasts!

I'd love your help to understand whether some beautiful knives I inherited from my grandpa are worth anything. He was a knife enthusiast and hunter, so it's possible...Images linked here.

Both are labelled "Old Hickory." The larger (10in blade) has inscribed on the blade, "Coast Cultery Co, Orlando Oregon" and the smaller (8in blade) has "Tru-Edge Ontario Knife Co, Made in the USA" engraved on it. They're quite weighty.

Any thoughts you have are very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Mary
They're good quality butcher knives that are quite popular, but while nobody would pass them up at a flea market or yardsale they're very common and of very little monetary value.
The example with the Coast etch on the blade may be less common, but unless there's some die hard fan looking for every variant it's probably not worth anything more.

OKC recently closed and their fate is still up in the air, but at the moment they had made so many of their Old hickory knives that there's plenty still in stock most places and probably will be for quite awhile, that includes these same 7" & 10" butcher knives.

Back