Post the tools you have and love. Hopefully we will learn from each other and find some we NEED to have :)

Gress

Gold Member
Let me start.

I have a few to share, but let me show you the one I grew up with and used it all the time while living with my parents.
This is my G.Father's pliers which he bought new.
Here it is
DSC069421000.JPG

This is a famous Bernard - Sargent parallel action pliers.
Here is the patent and commercials from that time:
Bernard Patent 1911 US999739-0.png
pop_mech 1952.jpg

Leaving my parent's house I could not afford not having this great tool, so I found a "like new" old pliers and got it.
IMGP69121000.JPG

IMGP69131000.JPG

And to continue with the family tradition now my daughter and son in law got theirs :)
IMGP69541000.JPG

IMGP69741000.JPG

And I am happy to say that this design continue to evolve with this tool now
SportMate1028NN_web.jpg

I'm just as into tools if not more so than knives and I have a lot of them that I really like, but one of my absolute favorites is the Chapman bit drivers.
I have lots of tools I just like for personal preferences, but the ever expanding Chapman kit I put together was a game changer and I have no clue how I ever lived without it.
I don't care what anybody says, the Chapman bits have no equal and I can't recommend them enough.

I will say however that they are not general purpose bits / drivers they're more of a specialty use tool, and for me that's firearm / airgun screws and the vintage spinning reels I work on.

I also love that they're a multigenerational family owned and operated company who makes their products 100% here in the USA.

I'm just as into tools if not more so than knives and I have a lot of them that I really like, but one of my absolute favorites is the Chapman bit drivers.
I have lots of tools I just like for personal preferences, but the ever expanding Chapman kit I put together was a game changer and I have no clue how I ever lived without it.
I don't care what anybody says, the Chapman bits have no equal and I can't recommend them enough.

I will say however that they are not general purpose bits / drivers they're more of a specialty use tool, and for me that's firearm / airgun screws and the vintage spinning reels I work on.

I also love that they're a multigenerational family owned and operated company who makes their products 100% here in the USA.
Great set you've built! Thanks for sharing. I am at Chapman candy store, as we speak :)

Ok, have Chapman deluxe set plus few extras coming. Will complement my General / Husky set
1000008466.jpg
and sure will last much longer.

I like tool threads. I like tools :) .

I doubt a day goes by that I'm not using tools. I'm always making/modifying/fixing something, or doing maintenance on my motorcycles. My tools are among my most valued possessions. I don't want to imagine life without them.

I consider myself very fortunate that I was raised by generations of men who owned and used tools, so I grew up with access to tools, and I used them. Many of the tools I own and use today were inherited from previous generations, which is particularly great because it means I didn't have to buy them myself.

And on the subject of not buying tools, one of my philosophies in life is "why buy it if I can make it", so whenever possible, when I need or want a particular tool, I ask myself "can I make one myself".

Here are some of the tools I use regularly, and which I made/modified-

This first pic shows four drivers, all started out as flathead screwdrivers. All of those original screwdrivers were inherited.

Top item/yellow handle- a 3/8ths socket driver. I cut and ground the screwdriver down and jammed a socket extension on it (also inherited).

Second item/blue/red/clear handle- a dedicated 7/16ths socket driver. I wanted a dedicated 7/16ths socket driver for one of my bikes, so I cut and ground the screwdriver down and jammed the socket on the end (I inherited a LOT of sockets).

Third item/green handle- This is a 1/4" hex bit driver. I cut/ground the screwdriver and jammed a magnetic 1/4" hex bit driver on the end. The magnetic bit driver came with a cheap Remington multitool that a friend gifted me. This is my primary knife disassembly/reassembly tool.

Bottom item/wood handle- another 1/4" hex bit driver. I pulled the screwdriver out of the handle and jammed a magnetic bit driver with a long hex shaft into it. I bought the bit driver from Harbor Freight and added some rubber hose for grip when choking-up.

JriGZB2.jpg

I wanted a small socket driver that could also be used as a screwdriver to carry in one of my bikes tool bags. In order to convert this 1/4" socket driver into a 1/4" bit driver I epoxied the 1/4" hex shaft of a magnetic bit driver into a 1/4" socket. The socket driver handle and socket were inherited, the bit driver came with a cheap set of 1/4" bits that I bought for the case.

qNcErDt.jpg

I needed a second driver for my Wiha micro bits, but I wanted one with a bigger handle than the skinny aluminum one, and I didn't want to to buy one. So I took a 1/4" Wiha magnetic micro bit driver adapter and jammed it into the end of a wooden file handle. Then I ground the sides of the handle flat for better grip. I had to pay for all the parts, but it was cheaper than a Wiha micro bit driver.

uBb7sME.jpg

I will occasionally cut a tool down to make it lighter and more compact for carry. I carry three of these in one of my bikes tool bags. I used to carry a few of them on my boots, but I switched to the bag, and transfer the bag from one bike to the other as needed. Space is limited, and I don't like to carry excessive weight, so smaller tools are more practical. All of these tools were inherited.

XPluynX.jpg

And on a related note, there are certain tool sound that I just love. The sound of a ratchet clicking, and the sound of wrenches clanging on a cement floor, are some of the sweetest music to my ears. These sounds take me back to my childhood, watching the men in my family work on their cars, and in particular, my biker uncle working on his old Harley. I have a physical/emotional reaction whenever I hear those sound, and they always bring a smile to my face, and my heart.

My eternal thanks to the men in my life who made tools a part of my world :).

Last edited:
I like tool threads. I like tools :) .

I doubt a day goes by that I'm not using tools. I'm always making/modifying/fixing something, or doing maintenance on my motorcycles. My tools are among my most valued possessions. I don't want to imagine life without them.

I consider myself very fortunate that I was raised by generations of men who owned and used tools, so I grew up with access to tools, and I used them. Many of the tools I own and use today were inherited from previous generations, which is particularly great because it means I didn't have to buy them myself.

And on the subject of not buying tools, one of my philosophies in life is "why buy it if I can make it", so whenever possible, when I need or want a particular tool, I ask myself "can I make one myself".

Here are some of the tools I use regularly, and which I made/modified-

This first pic shows four drivers, all started out as flathead screwdrivers. All of those original screwdrivers were inherited.

Top item/yellow handle- a 3/8ths socket driver. I cut and ground the screwdriver down and jammed a socket extension on it (also inherited).

Second item/blue/red/clear handle- a dedicated 7/16ths socket driver. I wanted a dedicated 7/16ths socket driver for one of my bikes, so I cut and ground the screwdriver down and jammed the socket on the end (I inherited a LOT of sockets).

Third item/green handle- This is a 1/4" hex bit driver. I cut/ground the screwdriver and jammed a magnetic 1/4" hex bit driver on the end. The magnetic bit driver came with a cheap Remington multitool that a friend gifted me. This is my primary knife disassembly/reassembly tool.

Bottom item/wood handle- another 1/4" hex bit driver. I pulled the screwdriver out of the handle and jammed a magnetic bit driver with a long hex shaft into it. I bought the bit driver from Harbor Freight and added some rubber hose for grip when choking-up.

JriGZB2.jpg

I wanted a small socket driver that could also be used as a screwdriver to carry in one of my bikes tool bags. In order to convert this 1/4" socket driver into a 1/4" bit driver I epoxied the 1/4" hex shaft of a magnetic bit driver into a 1/4" socket. The socket driver handle and socket were inherited, the bit driver came with a cheap set of 1/4" bits that I bought for the case.

qNcErDt.jpg

I needed a second driver for my Wiha micro bits, but I wanted one with a bigger handle than the skinny aluminum one, and I didn't want to to buy one. So I took a 1/4" Wiha magnetic micro bit driver adapter and jammed it into the end of a wooden file handle. Then I ground the sides of the handle flat for better grip. I had to pay for all the parts, but it was cheaper than a Wiha micro bit driver.

uBb7sME.jpg

I will occasionally cut a tool down to make it lighter and more compact for carry. I carry three of these in one of my bikes tool bags. I used to carry a few of them on my boots, but I switched to the bag, and transfer the bag from one bike to the other as needed. Space is limited, and I don't like to carry excessive weight, so smaller tools are more practical. All of these tools were inherited.

XPluynX.jpg

And on a related note, there are certain tool sound that I just love. The sound of a ratchet clicking, and the sound of wrenches clanging on a cement floor, are some of the sweetest music to my ears. These sounds take me back to my childhood, watching the men in my family work on their cars, and in particular, my biker uncle working on his old Harley. I have a physical/emotional reaction whenever I hear those sound, and they always bring a smile to my face, and my heart.

My eternal thanks to the men in my life who made tools a part of my world :).
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Your self made tools are excellent. There is nothing better than using a tool you did yourself. Great job!

Those Grip-Tite look interesting, but they don't seem to be for sale any more. Same with the Sargent Sportsman pliers in the top post. You hear about a unique tool, but they are gone before you can get one. 😖
Yep, it feels like that. Unfortunately, many great tools and even brands are gone.
Luckily, there are new tools, materials, enabling technologies, etc. coming to the market all the time. However, there is always that tried and trusted one that I take first.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Your self made tools are excellent. There is nothing better than using a tool you did yourself. Great job!

Thank you :) .

It's often said that "necessity" is the mother of invention. In my case it's also "cheapness" 😁. I'm a cheap bastard, always looking to save money wherever possible.

Great job on that Snap Cap :thumbsup:

Thank you :) .

It's often said that "necessity" is the mother of invention. In my case it's also "cheapness" 😁. I'm a cheap bastard, always looking to save money wherever possible.

Great job on that Snap Cap :thumbsup:
Absolutely. Cheapness or "just" a drive to make exactly what you need, you did excellent job!

Not even distantly at the same level, but here is a small hummer I made from bar stock some 50 years ago learning how to use a lathe and a mill. Still with me.
1000008476.jpg

Absolutely. Cheapness or "just" a drive to make exactly what you need, you did excellent job!

Not even distantly at the same level, but here is a small hummer I made from bar stock some 50 years ago learning how to use a lathe and a mill. Still with me.
View attachment 2548834

That hammer is awesome! True craftsmanship :thumbsup:

Here is another old tool I like and use all the time - Craftsman Sears Table 4x36 Belt & 6" Disc Sander 351.215140
1000008475.jpg
I use it for all kind of sanding jobs beyond knife sharpening. And it is my goto tool for knife sharpening too :)

This is my go-to 1/4dr kit I put together, basically a deluxe 1/4 set with extra small tools that come in handy when working in 1/4dr territory such as small engine work.

100% American made, the sockets extensions ratchets flex handle and spinner handle are Wright tool, the bits and driver sockets all Vermont American that I got NOS.
The box is a 1992 Snapon " party box " which is basically a miniature but proper quality fully functional replica of their popular KRA-21A which housed a poker and cribbage set which I discarded.

The Wright tool contour grip ratchets are my favorite,I started with just the 2426 ratchet and liked it so much I decided to build a deluxe set from there then it just got a bit out of hand..
I think all told I'm in it for about $500, but that was gradual.

Last edited:
Back