Prices, steels & design

The earlier post regarding knife prices got me to thinking about prices, steels, and designs. I don’t consider myself a knife “novice.” I’ve been seriously interested in knives for 10 or so years and have gone the route progressing from production to customs. Here’s some thought:

On prices – I’ll agree that a knife is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That being said I’m not sure many are using knives that cost $300-$500 much less those costing thousands. Collectors are going to pay whatever price the market will bear for given pieces. Certainly, the various custom knife vendors prices show this point. I would bet most working knives are modestly priced and replaced when used up. Price doesn’t always indicate capability. If you need working knives beware the hype and look for functional pieces. If you’re buying to add to a collection or because you want to have something special – no problem - spend the money and be happy.

On steels – There are folks who disparage AUS6 or 1095 and tout the fabulous virtues of the latest powdered stainless steel. While I don’t doubt the many virtues of these new steels, I sometimes wonder how our forefathers conquered the continent with nothing to use but simple carbon steel. How do many peoples all over the world manage to cope with primitive conditions using simple materials and tools? If most users were presented a blind test with a dozen or so steels represented how many would be able to tell A from Z? I’ve heard it said that so many want super hard steels because they can’t sharpen a blade. Maybe or maybe we are suckered by marketing hype. There isn’t a steel around that’s sharper than a stone-age obsidian blade. I’ve come to the conclusion that most of the steels used in cutlery today will do the job and it’s a matter of personal fancy as to what’s best.

On designs – Gee, the knife has been around for a while and there really aren’t that many styles that are what could be called modern or innovative. Some styles obviously work well for chopping or slicing or piercing. There are many designs that try to work all sides of the street making compromises to achieve utility. There are many designs floated as ultimate this or that. Knives are really simple tools but many tend to think a knife should be a substitute for an axe, chisel, hammer, etc.. “Fighting” knife designs seem especially prone to hype. Of all the variables possible in edged combat perhaps one of the least important is the particular design of a knife. From practical experience I suggest discounting much of the hype about one maker or another offering the best, strongest, meanest, or whatever. Chisle grinds, tiger stipping, americanized tanto points - seem to add little to function but may be cool to look at and sell knives. There are many practical designs and many makers doing great work. Buy what looks good works for you - don't worry too much if it's not the next generation cutting tool.

Back