Project: Tanto Yoroi-Doshi Magnacut

CPE_Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a new build to follow along with. It will take a while before the project is complete because these are being worked on as time allows between orders.

The profile is based upon a blade made in the 1500s with the tang signature "Bizen no kuni ju Osafune Katsumitsu saku". The original blade was made in the Moroha style which is a double edged dagger style. I decided to use the profile but wanted to make the blade in the Yoroi-Doshi style. The Yoroi-Doshi style appeared in the 1400s and was made for close combat grappling and armor piercing. As it was an armour piercing knife the spines were thick, up to 0.39". I went with 0.300" material

One of the things I found interesting is that Yoroi-Doshi were worn inside the belt on the back or right side for left hand draw. I am curious how this design will work with an IWB leather sheath making it more practical to carry. I lean towards leather over a wooden saya because I can make it much thinner which would be more comfortable. Maybe with some nickle silver at the tip and throat to grip the habaki so it draws like a saya. I figure if it turns out to be stupid idea I can always revert to wooden saya. Depending on how the first one finishes I may repeat it or do the second more traditional.

I decided to go with Magnacut for both. One is still available so if you are interested let me know. If they have a home before they are finished you can participate and customize a bit.

Here is the current state and progression.

LAYING OUT THE LINES
20240222_113520.jpg

ROUGH GRINDS
20240222_164614.jpg

AFTER HEAT TREAT
20240223_113311.jpg

FINISH GRINDING (NOT COMPLETE IN THESE PICTURES. THIS IS ONLY 60 GRIT)
20240301_142543.jpg20240301_142535.jpg

Last edited:
Back