Prune Big, or Go Home!

9HkN96.jpg
You know, I was just thinking about that one the other day. I’m glad you still have it. Beautiful knife.

Jack my friend, Taylor Eye Witness is a Stamp that immediately grabs my attention - what a beauty!

Nice Wolfertz & Co. Allentown PA. Lithicus, Great to see those awesome Old Ebony beauties come out from obscurity and into the open where a Tang stamp / Cutler that is not often seen, a great story and a great Knife!
I love that Wood, pretty sure it would be Cocobolo? Ebony can have all sorts of beautiful character Colours too ! Lots to look at - Love it!

Charlie, that Humason & Beckley is just gorgeous, another rare Stamp / Cutler we never see, like you say the condition is awesome!

Mr. Hilborn my friend, that Pruner is stunning, that was a very good score matey.

Rufus1949, Stag only gets better doesn't it! I can't get enough of older Stag like this, and whenever I pick up an older Pruner / Hawkbill the very first thing I look for is to see if it is Integral Construction like those two old beauties you have, now please forgive me my friend as I am sure I will have the dates wrong, but I think that most Sheffield Cutlers stopped Integral construction in the later 1800's fir example 1870's or so- but again I don't know I just remember discussions about this subject in the past.
You could be correct....I am using some passing information given to me by someone much more knowledgeable (JB). He was giving his best estimate.

Last edited:
You could be correct....I am using some passing information given to me by someone much more knowledgeable (JB). He was giving his best estimate.
If JB is Jack Black- that would be the one person to trust with anything Sheffield, Jack and also Herder.

Harry, you could post that one all day long and we would never tire of seeing it!

Jack my friend, Taylor Eye Witness is a Stamp that immediately grabs my attention - what a beauty!
Thanks mate :) :thumbsup:
Really?! 🤷‍♂️:D:thumbsup:

Do you mean me Bob?

Last edited:
When I see the Taylors Eye Witness logo blade stamp , it just draws my attention . I am sure that there are more people who would also like to see and hear more about that beautiful old pruner .

Harry
Thank you Harry :) These photos are from a few years ago I'm afraid. Knife is 7 3/8" overall, blade is 2 7/8" (measured from the front of the tang to the tip). The steel liners are not integral to the bolsters. I rather like the old tang stamp :thumbsup:

7uWu3yX.jpg

Eb0xRyE.jpg

U4tQYzc.jpg

77CBN1y.jpg

L1mjDHg.jpg

zBDfWpZ.jpg

HowVriG.jpg

ZoVKv99.jpg

Nice Wolfertz & Co. Allentown PA. Lithicus, Great to see those awesome Old Ebony beauties come out from obscurity and into the open where a Tang stamp / Cutler that is not often seen, a great story and a great Knife!
Thank you very much! It does seem to be a less common knife. One I am very proud to have!!

Thank you Harry :) These photos are from a few years ago I'm afraid. Knife is 7 3/8" overall, blade is 2 7/8" (measured from the front of the tang to the tip). The steel liners are not integral to the bolsters. I rather like the old tang stamp :thumbsup:

7uWu3yX.jpg

Eb0xRyE.jpg

U4tQYzc.jpg

77CBN1y.jpg

L1mjDHg.jpg

zBDfWpZ.jpg

HowVriG.jpg

ZoVKv99.jpg
Here's an old Capped Pruner by Saynor, Cooke & Ridal :thumbsup:

sG2FEBl.jpg

TiYUEOx.jpg

afFUBJ7.jpg

F4lTjo0.jpg

J24inkD.jpg
Wow... Absolutely stunning examples of old pruning knives, Jack!! Thanks for posting!

Was he forgetting Barlow in the 1600s?
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding "integral bolsters".
We first see integral bolsters on the fixed blade utility knives, which were carried, primarily as eating implements, in the 16th century. Adding a 'shoulder' to a forged knife was not only easier, and cheaper, than having to add a separate bolster, but it also strengthened the knife at the point where the forces applied would be greatest, and breakage most likely. We see these integral bolsters starting to appear on knives in the 16th century, with the start of a fashion for inset-scale knives, which we later see on early Spring Knives, and Barlows. Fashion, rather than function, generally led design though. One thing is certain, in Sheffield, if a type of construction supposedly died out, there'll be at least one or two cutlers still doing it 50 years later! Don't forget they were still forging pen knife blades and hand-cutting files in the 1960's! Features like this can only, for the most part, be factors in assessing the age of a knife, in my opinion. It's easier to say when a practice started, rather than when it ended. The Spring knife did not appear until the early 17th century, and many do not have bolsters at all. John Barlow, the grandson of Obadiah, who first registered the famous 'BARLOW' mark, did not finish his apprenticeship until 1745.

We first see integral bolsters on the fixed blade utility knives, which were carried, primarily as eating implements, in the 16th century. Adding a 'shoulder' to a forged knife was not only easier, and cheaper, than having to add a separate bolster, but it also strengthened the knife at the point where the forces applied would be greatest, and breakage most likely. We see these integral bolsters starting to appear on knives in the 16th century, with the start of a fashion for inset-scale knives, which we later see on early Spring Knives, and Barlows. Fashion, rather than function, generally led design though. One thing is certain, in Sheffield, if a type of construction supposedly died out, there'll be at least one or two cutlers still doing it 50 years later! Don't forget they were still forging pen knife blades and hand-cutting files in the 1960's! Features like this can only, for the most part, be factors in assessing the age of a knife, in my opinion. It's easier to say when a practice started, rather than when it ended. The Spring knife did not appear until the early 17th century, and many do not have bolsters at all. John Barlow, the grandson of Obadiah, who first registered the famous 'BARLOW' mark, did not finish his apprenticeship until 1745.
What a great piece of information! Thanks for sharing! I always find posts about dates and construction super interesting.

Back