Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Thank you my friend. I sent ya a DM a while back did ya get it? You are probably right on Dawn.

Wow those are great books for kids to be reading I'm impressed! That they even want to read such books at their ages is dang good parenting! My father told me I have a cousin, whom I never met obviously, that didn't make it back over "the Hump." Also had two cousins in the Bataan Death March. One survived and one didn't. That would be another interesting thing for Roy to read up on if he likes military history. Here's a little "Hump" tidbit for Roy that probably didn't make the history books. There was a lot of heavy equipment at the bases and as things were shutting down we were selling off this equipment to locals for almost nothing on the dollar. However, time to go and still quite a bit of equipment left not sold. My father was ordered to destroy it. So lined it all up along the runway. Had kerosene poured all over it, lit a match and got in his plane and flew away.

I'm currently bout 3/4s of the way through on: The Decline of the Californios, a Social History of the Spanish Speaking Californians from 1846 to 1890. Long title but pretty interesting. Then I got a cool one to dive in to that was sent to me by Phil!
When the kids learned to read I really wanted them to pick up the habit. I've always said it doesn't matter what they read, as long as they were reading and pick up the habit. Now that they have the habit I make reccomendations and it's usally the classics.

Ains quickly went from Cat in the Hat kind of books to full novels. She challenged me to a race some time ago to see who could read 10 pages of their book the fastest. I never give them pity wins so I read as fast as I could and I'm no slouch. She finished her 10 pages when I was on the 8th page, both were full page books. I thought, no way she actually read that. I asked her what it was about and she told me all about it (I checked her book later and sure enough she had absorbed it, trust but verify lol). Roy was close behind moving to full length books though he doesn't devour them like his sister. He likes history and adventure. Couldn't be prouder of them, which I'm sure you guys get tired of hearing lol.

I'll tell Roy that story, he'll be shocked imagining all that equipment burning up!

When the kids learned to read I really wanted them to pick up the habit. I've always said it doesn't matter what they read, as long as they were reading and pick up the habit. Now that they have the habit I make reccomendations and it's usally the classics.

Ains quickly went from Cat in the Hat kind of books to full novels. She challenged me to a race some time ago to see who could read 10 pages of their book the fastest. I never give them pity wins so I read as fast as I could and I'm no slouch. She finished her 10 pages when I was on the 8th page, both were full page books. I thought, no way she actually read that. I asked her what it was about and she told me all about it (I checked her book later and sure enough she had absorbed it, trust but verify lol). Roy was close behind moving to full length books though he doesn't devour them like his sister. He likes history and adventure. Couldn't be prouder of them, which I'm sure you guys get tired of hearing lol.

I'll tell Roy that story, he'll be shocked imagining all that equipment burning up!
In fact, no!

Yeah let Roy know it was crawlers, tractors, all kinds of heavy equipment.

It's a 199lb Hay Budden, solid to the waist, early '20s I think. The seller was surprised when I gladly paid his asking price of 275.

Only $275?! Sheesh, trying to find an anvil over here without paying a fortune is an endeavor I gave up on awhile ago. All the hipsters and their weird obsession with finding old tools has driven the costs up considerably in the past 10 years or so.

Only $275?! Sheesh, trying to find an anvil over here without paying a fortune is an endeavor I gave up on awhile ago. All the hipsters and their weird obsession with finding old tools has driven the costs up considerably in the past 10 years or so.
Absolutely, plus the forged in fire show pretty much quadrupled the price of them. To see an anvil for less than 6 dollars a pound anymore is rare.

I'd like to find another one for the shop, I already know it's gonna cost me. With Montana's long time lack of population you rarely see them here. Back east they're a lot more prevalent.

Found out a few years ago that my great grandfather was a blacksmith. His name was John also and we look waaay too much alike. The similarities end there though hopefully, he threw my grandfather out of the house when he was 14 because he was tired of feeding him! Found out the other day that my Dad has his anvil. The thought of forgin on that tickles my fancy more than you can imagine.

My dad passed away just before Christmas and I now have a lot of tools. Before he passed I noticed and anvil on his workbench and told him that I'd like to try it out. He said "take it". I told him that I wanted him to teach me to use everything. He never got that chance but growing up I saw him use just about all of his tools so I may understand their use. Now to find the time...

My dad passed away just before Christmas and I now have a lot of tools. Before he passed I noticed and anvil on his workbench and told him that I'd like to try it out. He said "take it". I told him that I wanted him to teach me to use everything. He never got that chance but growing up I saw him use just about all of his tools so I may understand their use. Now to find the time...
Condolences on losing your Dad so recently Mack. I enjoy using the few tools I have from my grandfathers.

It's a 199lb Hay Budden, solid to the waist, early '20s I think. The seller was surprised when I gladly paid his asking price of 275.

That is a nice one for a great price!
I got a 100# Peter Wright a few years ago before the whole Forged in Fire thing was around, and it costed me $100, which is what they were going for at farm auctions...$1 per pound. Now they have gone up to $6-7 a pound for a beat up one.

That one you have John looks to be in fantastic shape, a real family heirloom!

That is a nice one for a great price!
I got a 100# Peter Wright a few years ago before the whole Forged in Fire thing was around, and it costed me $100, which is what they were going for at farm auctions...$1 per pound. Now they have gone up to $6-7 a pound for a beat up one.

That one you have John looks to be in fantastic shape, a real family heirloom!
It was in an airplane hangar and had been used for everything but an anvil. The edges were beat on pretty bad, I got it cleaned up well enough to use though. It's a beast for sure. I saw "brook" faintly on the side and thought, it's a Hay Budden, I'm in. When I paid for it I asked the guy if he could get the door for me. He looked at me like wtf? I picked it up and carried it out to the truck probably 50 yards away. I couldn't read the weight on it, but figured it was about 100lbs. Had I known it was 200 pounds I wouldn't have even tried lol.

Holy cow that's awesome price!
Absolutely, that was probably a decade ago but still a great price at the time. Now it seems like if you can find something that's not banged up into oblivion for under 800 bucks you're doin good.

I recently put mine in a 30 gallon steel drum and filled it with sand. It was on a wooden stand before and was fairly solid but now it's a while new game. It's amazing the difference in rebound and how much more effective your strikes are with a 200 pound anvil sitting on 300 pounds of sand! It's night and day.

There's a guy on Instagram in Texas (Dallas area maybe?) called Blacksmith Tools, he comes across some awesome anvils and tools. I'd like to go down there sometime and visit his shop with a chunk of change.

Oops got started and couldn't finish in the couple minutes I had. I'll do it later.
I have that problem all the time. ;)
Absolutely, that was probably a decade ago but still a great price at the time. Now it seems like if you can find something that's not banged up into oblivion for under 800 bucks you're doin good.

I recently put mine in a 30 gallon steel drum and filled it with sand. It was on a wooden stand before and was fairly solid but now it's a while new game. It's amazing the difference in rebound and how much more effective your strikes are with a 200 pound anvil sitting on 300 pounds of sand! It's night and day.

There's a guy on Instagram in Texas (Dallas area maybe?) called Blacksmith Tools, he comes across some awesome anvils and tools. I'd like to go down there sometime and visit his shop with a chunk of change.
The local CL is selling them for ridiculous prices. I just checked and there is a big Fisher 500 lb in good shape for $3800.

I have that problem all the time. ;)

The local CL is selling them for ridiculous prices. I just checked and there is a big Fisher 500 lb in good shape for $3800.
Yeah it's crazy, I'm convinced Forged in Fire starting in 2015 changed the game completely. Blacksmithing tools went through the roof, especially anvils.

It started a ton of advantages though too, there's a lot of new knifemaking supply businesses and tools and equipment that were hard to find are pretty accessible now. It used to be you had to call places and track things down, now they're on websites everywhere.

It brought a lot of people into the community and raised peoples interest in knives in general. The amount of people making knives went through the roof though a lot didn't continue.

My interest started in 2009 and I spent a year just researching. One of the things I researched was makers that were just starting out. I'd look for pitfalls and try to learn what to avoid. The overwhelming problems with knifemakers was communucation. I'm not the greatest at it bit I do make a sincere effort. Second seemed to be overconfidence, once they made a few sales it was like they quit working on their skill level. That's a recipe for a failed business in my opinion.

Aaaaand I'm rambling, I'll stop lol.

Yeah it's crazy, I'm convinced Forged in Fire starting in 2015 changed the game completely. Blacksmithing tools went through the roof, especially anvils.

It started a ton of advantages though too, there's a lot of new knifemaking supply businesses and tools and equipment that were hard to find are pretty accessible now. It used to be you had to call places and track things down, now they're on websites everywhere.

It brought a lot of people into the community and raised peoples interest in knives in general. The amount of people making knives went through the roof though a lot didn't continue.

My interest started in 2009 and I spent a year just researching. One of the things I researched was makers that were just starting out. I'd look for pitfalls and try to learn what to avoid. The overwhelming problems with knifemakers was communucation. I'm not the greatest at it bit I do make a sincere effort. Second seemed to be overconfidence, once they made a few sales it was like they quit working on their skill level. That's a recipe for a failed business in my opinion.

Aaaaand I'm rambling, I'll stop lol.
Ya guys heading to Sheridan again this year? Looks like we're finally gonna make it to the show.

I remember anvils just being lawn art for years before they got so pricey. There's some of that, that hasn't changed much too on makers . Can't tell ya how many times a week we get told an emphatic thanks: for calling me back or thanks for emailing me back or messaging or what ever. I mean its like nobody else does.

So here's my story since I got a minute now.

Boo Kitty was insistant that we were not leaving with out her:

FPtjBIw.jpg

I won her over by telling her she was in charge of the rancho while we were gone. We were heading off to AZ to visit the Grand Canyon. Nichole my wife had never been and it had been 44 years since I'd been there. We had an ulterior motive too as we were meeting our other son Josh there. He was in the process of moving back to California from Florida and was enroute. He got there a day earlier then we did and did some strenuous hiking, tougher and more than this ol horseman was likely to want to do. But the other side of the coin was he had scouted out all the cool stuff and how to get it to it from the Lodge. So we had a guide. Heading east of I 40.

ZUTGmdR.jpg

Met up with Josh and did some hiking around along the rim in the late afternoon evening:

wsKC40p.jpg

I'd been talking to Mack and he'd said winter was a great time to go to the Grand Canyon. He was right. Rain squalls over the canyon provided some great light:

8tRt3Bh.jpg

94FfQZD.jpg

l4S1UBo.jpg

Perhaps my fav as it gives the size and scope, the immensity of the place:

alKNNF3.jpg

Also interesting was the amount of wildlife. We'd seen two herds of elk on the way into the park but these guys were right on the rim.

XkIWjDz.jpg

Q1x0Qkl.jpg

These guys too. They were more wary then the elk:

IYWtZvK.jpg

ZdXL34A.jpg

Walked back to the lodge and had drinks and dinner in the tavern:

vKiPtSK.jpg

Woke up the next morning and it was snowing hard! So we packed up quick. Loaded up and headed off back to the rim:

6RgnmaE.jpg

I6nlIEB.jpg

We'd had big plans of shooting some product pics with the canyon behind but it was not to be. Snowing so hard ya couldn't even see the Canyon, even standing on the rim. Ya know ya could feel it though.

sB0eeiq.jpg

We got a few pics of some other stuff, not so much knives so wasn't a total bust:

J26mm2O.jpg

lIvGFdd.jpg

u37xxHn.jpg

It was snowing so hard we thought we'd better hustle on down the hill so we did. Had breakfast in Williams. Great trip! And I bought a cup:

HYQJ5YW.jpg

Back