Rambler > Classic

I love the Rambler. It is my most carried knife. I like the small Philips and bottle opener. If I had to choose between the two, it’s the Rambler. But…I realize with just a little bit more effort I can do everything with a classic that I can do with the rambler. And I enjoy some of the artwork on the Classics. Particularly my Xfiles and my Bigfoot Classics.

Is the SAK "SIGNATURE" an option?
I like the retractable pen for when (not "if"):
(a) Primary pen quits, and not carrying another like pen for back-up/in reserve.
(b) Primary pen(s) is (z) At home, or (y) Anywhere else I ain't.

I carried a Signature daily on my key ring for 20 consecutive years. The pen was not used daily ... or evem monthly.
However, it still wrote flawlessly ( with the original refill), and with no starting issues, when I used the Signature as a partial trade for my Cellidore Mini Champ, a couple years ago. AFAIK it still writes.
(The Cellidore Mini Champ has the same retractable ball point pen side tool.)

I also used the Signature's scissors (and use the Mini Champ's) quite often.

I love the Rambler! The Philips screwdriver is very precise. It can handle screws that are tiny, like on eyeglasses, as well as screws that are much larger. The cap lifter is ok once you get accustomed to using it. Haven’t tried using the wire stripper yet.
Nice too that the key ring attachment is opposite the blade pivot, makes using the blade easier when it’s attached to a set of keys. Nice trick I learned, if you deploy the nail file or Philips driver or both, you can now extend the handle while using the knife blade. Gives more control over the blade. Always have a Rambler in my pocket when I’m outside. It’s usually all the knife and tool l need daily. Enjoy it very much.

Rambler on my keychain for years because the knife and scissors open away from the keys. Also, the extra thickness compared to the Classic gives me a better grip.

6e3ibDl.jpg

Is the SAK "SIGNATURE" an option?
I like the retractable pen for when (not "if"):
(a) Primary pen quits, and not carrying another like pen for back-up/in reserve.
(b) Primary pen(s) is (z) At home, or (y) Anywhere else I ain't.

I carried a Signature daily on my key ring for 20 consecutive years. The pen was not used daily ... or evem monthly.
However, it still wrote flawlessly ( with the original refill), and with no starting issues, when I used the Signature as a partial trade for my Cellidore Mini Champ, a couple years ago. AFAIK it still writes.
(The Cellidore Mini Champ has the same retractable ball point pen side tool.)

I also used the Signature's scissors (and use the Mini Champ's) quite often.
I really like the pen in the SAK Compact. It's truly an EDC for me. I carry other knives because I like to. But a Compact does pretty much every thing needed. With knipex on the belt too I am set.

If I had to buy a Victorinox 58mm knife, I would definitely prefer the Rambler to the Classic. The magnetic mini Phillips is useful. I also appreciate the blade pivot being opposite the keyring boss. That's why I always bought the Wenger Esquire, that and the 1/4 inch longer body and blade. Then I discovered the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest, and haven't looked back.

I suppose if I were a young guy just starting out, I'd go with a rambler. On paper, it just makes more sense and it does away with the slightly annoying cons of the classic. Like the blade being on the keyring end, and no really really small Phillips.

But...and its a really big but...I'm not a young guy, in fact am an old fossil that is very set in his ways, more than slightly curmudgeonly. (Think A man Called Otto.) And due my hatred of change, and once used to something I will use it until St. Peter blows his horn, I go with a classic because I am used to the classic. Just like I go with a 50 year old Smith and Wesson revolver, a 60 Year old Marlin rifle, even though there are so called "Better" choices around, I go with what I've always used, and works for me. To me, the classic is like the humble Bic stick pen. Yes, the loose cap is a bit of a pain and can be lost, yes, there are better writing pens around, but after using something for 50 or 60 years, it gets to be a hard habit to break.

The Rambler is a great little knife/tool, but it does not have the availability of the classic. I mean, the classic is EVERYWHERE. Big box stores, small sports stores, hardware stores, used in large numbers for dirt cheap at gun shows where they sell TSA confiscations, most of which seem to be classics. A few ramblers, mini champs, and other SAK's in small numbers, but mostly classics. One lady at the local gun show I go to, has them in such numbers that they sell for 5 dollars for one, but if you buy three or more, then it's 3 dollars a classic. Most of them are in very good shape and just need a cleaning.

Yeah, if I were some young guy in the beginning, I'd go rambler, but I'm not, so they will send my off to the great beyond with a classic in my pocket. I'm just too damm used to the classic to change now.

I suppose if I were a young guy just starting out, I'd go with a rambler. On paper, it just makes more sense and it does away with the slightly annoying cons of the classic. Like the blade being on the keyring end, and no really really small Phillips.

But...and its a really big but...I'm not a young guy, in fact am an old fossil that is very set in his ways, more than slightly curmudgeonly. (Think A man Called Otto.) And due my hatred of change, and once used to something I will use it until St. Peter blows his horn, I go with a classic because I am used to the classic. Just like I go with a 50 year old Smith and Wesson revolver, a 60 Year old Marlin rifle, even though there are so called "Better" choices around, I go with what I've always used, and works for me. To me, the classic is like the humble Bic stick pen. Yes, the loose cap is a bit of a pain and can be lost, yes, there are better writing pens around, but after using something for 50 or 60 years, it gets to be a hard habit to break.

The Rambler is a great little knife/tool, but it does not have the availability of the classic. I mean, the classic is EVERYWHERE. Big box stores, small sports stores, hardware stores, used in large numbers for dirt cheap at gun shows where they sell TSA confiscations, most of which seem to be classics. A few ramblers, mini champs, and other SAK's in small numbers, but mostly classics. One lady at the local gun show I go to, has them in such numbers that they sell for 5 dollars for one, but if you buy three or more, then it's 3 dollars a classic. Most of them are in very good shape and just need a cleaning.

Yeah, if I were some young guy in the beginning, I'd go rambler, but I'm not, so they will send my off to the great beyond with a classic in my pocket. I'm just too damm used to the classic to change now.
I'm that way about Case folders.

I have a Rambler in my pocket everyday, usually my one and only Alox version. Occasionally wish I had the tweezers though. Very useful tool. Usually it accompanies a larger knife of some sort.

If I decided to dump my Alox Minichamp (spoiler alert: I won't), the Rambler is the 58mm I'd choose. If the Rambler was discontnued, I'd go with a Rally and grind off the keyring attachment. In reality, they'd probably discontinue the Rally before the Rambler.

Rambler on my keychain for years because the knife and scissors open away from the keys. Also, the extra thickness compared to the Classic gives me a better grip.

6e3ibDl.jpg
Those are exactly reasons why Rambler is in my watch pocket every day for more than two years. Those and magnetic 3D Philips. What a great tool for replacing batteries in my girls toys!
I tried to carry and love the Classic really hard but the key ring on the wrong end is a huge issue for me. Bought two spares (at a great discount price) to be sure to have this mighty minitool in my pocket for at least a few decades. Love the Rambler!

Last edited:
The one thing the rambler does that helps is it gets the blade on the opposite side away from the key ring.
I use a TEC P-7 clip, which will mangle the blade edge on the classic unless I'm careful.
on the rambler, you just hold the clip and handle in your hand and don't have to worry about it flopping around and hitting the edge.
I find the small phillips, the wire stripper, and the tedious bottle opener aren't really my favorite tools.

I love the Rambler. It is my most carried knife. I like the small Philips and bottle opener. If I had to choose between the two, it’s the Rambler. But…I realize with just a little bit more effort I can do everything with a classic that I can do with the rambler. And I enjoy some of the artwork on the Classics. Particularly my Xfiles and my Bigfoot Classics.
Ah, but if you’re just a little handy, you could always switch those scales on to a Rambler. That’s what I did with mine.IMG_0953.jpeg

Back