Random Thought Thread

Went shooting our 357 Magnums with my son last night. We thought the Hornady American Gunner 125 gr, and the Barnes Vor-TX 140 gr copper HP, to be fine; but we cried out *&^#@$E)*&^%!! the first time we shot a round of DoubleTap Ammo 158 gr Bonded JHP 😭 Holy S(*^%$#*t! maybe 11.8 oz is too light for a .357 yah think?!?!

My laser grip is aiming a little high and to the right of impact, but I forgot to bring the tool to adjust it with me. 7 yards, last 7 rounds aimed at the #10

FeJX2q2.jpeg

mC68LGC.jpeg
Airlite snubbies are very snappy with hot loads for sure.

Airlite snubbies are very snappy with hot loads for sure.

That's why I carry a 642. (But not with +P+...I think I still have some though.)

The only thing I'd shot previously in the Scandium snubbie previously was the Barnes TAC-XP 125 grain at 1200 fps - much more mild than a full house DoubleTap ammo.

The only thing I'd shot previously in the Scandium snubbie previously was the Barnes TAC-XP 125 grain at 1200 fps - much more mild than a full house DoubleTap ammo.
Personally I prefer lighter loads in the scandium snubbies to allow for much faster follow up and much less muzzle flash. Everyone has opinions and preferences, but ammo has come a long way and the only guns I carry very hot loads in now are ones for bear protection.

Personally I prefer lighter loads in the scandium snubbies to allow for much faster follow up and much less muzzle flash. Everyone has opinions and preferences, but ammo has come a long way and the only guns I carry very hot loads in now are ones for bear protection.
Those scandiums are insane, the 329PD with warm loads was borderline painful. I’m definitely not recoil sensitive. I’ve owned .454 casull, 460 XVR and .500 mag. The 329PD was the worst.

The hottest load that I fired out of one of my scandium snubbers was 158 gr Speer gold dot +P+, it was stout to say the least. I carried 38 spl+P or light 357 in it when out and about. I like to think that I'm pretty handy with that thing but if I had to use it with one hand and those hot loads the second shot would be at the moon. Tons of fun at the range though and a fantastic way to turn money into sound and fire.

Heard some knife violence happening in the kitchen yesterday. Came out of my office later to discover this. :( My expression of pain resulted in a marital dispute. It’s just a thing, but this is my fav kitchen knife ever.

D3V…it can save a marriage! Bring on the CPKitchen.

at the 10 dps a lot of japanese knives are sharpened at, I dunno how much steel matters for abuse like that

(but I'd still take a CPKitchen even though I have a takamura)

Sooooooooo..... youngest just broke up with his d bag girlfriend....

Life comes full circle sometimes......

You feel bad but also say I told you so

Seems like every generation learns the same lessons

Damn I feel old hahaha
That stinks, man. I feel bad for you're son. Timed like that are hard.

Sounds like it was for the best, though.

Hopefully he doesn't dwell on it too long and he moves on to greener pastures!! 👍🏻

Sooooooooo..... youngest just broke up with his d bag girlfriend....

Life comes full circle sometimes......

You feel bad but also say I told you so

Seems like every generation learns the same lessons

Damn I feel old hahaha
Take him shooting in the boonies and have a fire. Burn all the stuff she gave him together. It's cathartic!

I want to clarify that above - the only .357 Magnum ammo I'd previously shot in a Scandium 360PD snubbie was Barnes TAC-XP. But over the past 5 years I have fired hundreds of rounds in .38 Spl +P at the range in the 360PD.

I'd settled on the Barnes 125 gr TAC-XP lead free as my EDC carry round, after shooting about 5 boxes of the stuff - I liked the performance in reviews, and found it to have manageable recoil. The .38 Spl ammo that I'd shot over that time included Buffalo Bore 158 gr EDIT LHPSW LSWCHP at 1000 fps from a snubbie, .38 Spl Gold Dot 135 gr short barrel ammo, both of which I carry in my S&W model 637 Airlite. I also had plenty of old Corbon 147 gr flat point copper jacketed "match" ammo that I'd used up in practice, and I had also tried the Corbon 110 gr .38 Spl +P in the Scandium 360PD and S&W 637. In the 637, the Buffalo Bore 158 gr +p was my goto ammo for hikes and walking the dog at night, with the 135 gr Gold Dot short barrel or Corbon 110 gr DPX for self defense. (and 125 gr Barnes copper HP for the 360PD.)

I gave the 360PD to my son last month, and replaced it with the Model 340, but this trip to the range was my first time ever shooting the 340. I tried several brands of .357 with it, including American Gunner 125 gr, Barnes TAC-XP 125 gr and Vor-TX 140 gr copper, Ficchi 158 gr JHP, and finally the Corbon 158 gr bonded hollow point in case I need a bear load for hiking and walks.

The 158 gr .357 DoubleTap took me surprise, and was painful with the first shot. I quit at 7 rounds, had my son shoot 3 of them, and saved the last 10 for hiking in the country. It was ridiculous. I've ordered DoubleTap 125 grain Bonded JHP (Gold Dot bullets) to try next. The Barnes 140 gr lead free copper hollow point has good penetration and expansion from a snubbie in reviews, so that is what is in the 340 for dog walks at night. At other times I would carry 125 gr TAC-XP all copper HP for 2-legged predators.

Last edited:
Back