Recommend an auto similar to Microtech ludt

deltablade

Gold Member
Seems these LUDTSs are hard to find and maybe discontinued. Is there a current auto similar to them in design and quality? The one I handled years ago had a well designed handle shape and blade length and shape. I look forward to your comments.

It's based off the old Ochs "Black Knife", a ton of makers have done their own versions like Microtech, Paragon and Dalton off the top of my head. Unfortunately, I believe the only one currently in production is the Microtech version but the others pop up somewhat regularly on the secondary market.

Tsujigiri, so I would be getting as much quality in Protech as in Microtech?

They build just as good a knife as Microtech, and the warranty department is far easier to deal with for parts and service.

They build just as good a knife as Microtech, and the warranty department is far easier to deal with for parts and service.
Ehhhh, IMO it’s close but I’d give the edge to Microtech. I’ve had Protechs that had issues straight out of the box.

I have two Pro-Techs.

I believed the hype.

Two were available on the same day, so I bought em. A Custom SnG and a TR-3.

I literally had to finish assembling the former and I am unable to complete the latter.

A set of mistakes I've learned from.

My Microtech Stitch helped me cope. It is fantastic and the C-Q was beyond my skill-set.

It's based off the old Ochs "Black Knife", a ton of makers have done their own versions like Microtech, Paragon and Dalton off the top of my head. Unfortunately, I believe the only one currently in production is the Microtech version but the others pop up somewhat regularly on the secondary market.
The moment I started reading this thread I thought "Chip would probably know the answer!".

I have several Protechs, they are all great knives, I prefer the LG designs. I have one heretic ots, it is awesome as well. Kershaw makes some excellent autos as well.

LUDTs are definitely not discontinued, but Microtech recently released the Gen 3 and many places are sold out until another run comes in. SMKW has the all black previous generation in stock.

Thx for the info. I decided to gamble on the Protech Emerson as I like the G10 handle rather than the Microtech aluminum, and am curious to try the CPM20cv blade.

Definitely. Of course, for any brand you'll people who had issues here and there, but the same is true of Microtech. The difference, though, is that Protech does a much better job of fixing any issues that might arise. Tony Marfione has a history of treating customers... kind of how you'd expect from a litigious narcissist who steals designs.

Thx for the info. I decided to gamble on the Protech Emerson as I like the G10 handle rather than the Microtech aluminum, and am curious to try the CPM20cv blade.

Hope you like it! Emerson certainly does have a talent for ergonomics.

Back