Important Info! Recommending non-BF suppliers - Here is what Spark says

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
OK folks, Blues, Spark, and I have talked this over and here is what Spark says. I believe it is pretty much common sense, and easily followed.

What Spark said is that you can mention a non-BF member supplier with no problem. You can recommend them with no problem. What you can't do is advertise for them by quoting prices for specific items, or posting links to their sales websites.
As Chuck noted, if you are a vendor and aren't a Provider/Dealer level member you can't mention your business or products at all.

Read the below examples and see if it is clear now.

ALLOWED EXAMPLES (not exact info, just samples)
Chuck at AKS sells Micarta for $10 a set of scales and charges $5 shipping. (He is a BF dealer level member, mention and quote anything)
Pop's carries 1095 in 1/5X.25 (No mention of price)
I get my 1095 from Shefield. (Merely a source suggestion)
I found that the lowest price is Tru-Grit. (No price quoted)
GFS has lots of Micarta at low prices and flat rate shipping. (No price quoted)
I found bearings on Amazon for less than $10each (No mention of seller or link)
I buy them on Amazon. Search under "carbide bit #123456". (No price quoted or link)
Call Tracy and see if he still has some left. (No info beyond a source suggestion)

NOT ALLOWED EXAMPLES (underlined part is what crosses the line)
"I get my 1095 from Pop's for $10.50 a foot.
Shefield charges $12 to ship a bar of steel.
Tru-Grit is ruining a special, 5 belts for $35.
GFS charges a flat rate of $28 for shipping.
Amazon seller ABC has it for $10
Tracy sells it for $12/pound.

OK folks, Blues, Spark, and I have talked this over and here is what Spark says. I believe it is pretty much common sense, and easily followed.

What Spark said is that you can mention a non-BF member supplier with no problem. You can recommend them with no problem. What you can't do is advertise for them by quoting prices for specific items, or posting links to their sales websites.
As Chuck noted, if you are a vendor and aren't a Provider/Dealer level member you can't mention your business or products at all.

Read the below examples and see if it is clear now.

ALLOWED EXAMPLES (not exact info, just samples)
Chuck at AKS sells Micarta for $10 a set of scales and charges $5 shipping. (He is a BF dealer level member, mention and quote anything)
Pop's carries 1095 in 1/5X.25 (No mention of price)
I get my 1095 from Shefield. (Merely a source suggestion)
I found that the lowest price is Tru-Grit. (No price quoted)
GFS has lots of Micarta at low prices and flat rate shipping. (No price quoted)
I found bearings on Amazon for less than $10each (No mention of seller or link)
I buy them on Amazon. Search under "carbide bit #123456". (No price quoted or link)
Call Tracy and see if he still has some left. (No info beyond a source suggestion)

NOT ALLOWED EXAMPLES (underlined part is what crosses the line)
"I get my 1095 from Pop's for $10.50 a foot.
Shefield charges $12 to ship a bar of steel.
Tru-Grit is ruining a special, 5 belts for $35.
GFS charges a flat rate of $28 for shipping.
Amazon seller ABC has it for $10
Tracy sells it for $12/pound.
This makes sense except Blues removed a post where I said Popsknifesupply had the best price for steel and shipping, no mention of actual price just that I’ve found them to be the best value. To me this is the same as your example for Tru-grit.

You are correct.
The posts was removed because Blues didn't know what Spark would decide.
It has been discussed and this is the current decision. Your post would be fine under the current rules.

So how do we know who a BF supplier/vendor is? Do we go by who is listed in the Manufacturer's forum? Or? I thought a recent link that got deleted was OK. But obviously not.

So how do we know who a BF supplier/vendor is? Do we go by who is listed in the Manufacturer's forum? Or? I thought a recent link that got deleted was OK. But obviously not.
My understanding is that it’s anyone listed in the two sub forums I’ve boxed in “red” here.

C2E981D8-4501-45E3-8F8E-54414BA49778.jpeg

This list is also helpful...

Stacy, you may want to "stick" this thread...I was going to do it...but it's your forum and your decision. I think it merits it personally.
What about video clips from YOUTUBE is it allowed ? Most of them from knifemakers ? For example I want to share this video . He has very nice work rest on his grinder I want to share that with members here ? But doing that I also advertise knifemaker ?

There is a sticky thread at the top of the Shop Talk page for sharing a video that is from someone other than yourself. If it is relevant to a current thread discussion, then posting the video in that thread is OK. The only warning is that the video CAN NOT be a sales video.

Example not allowed - A video from ABC tool company showing their new surface grinder attachment.
Example allowed - You showing off your new ABC surface grinder in action.

"So how do we know who a BF supplier/vendor is? Do we go by who is listed in the Manufacturer's forum? Or?"
As far as I know, the only knife supply dealer on Bladeforums is Chuck at AKS (Alpha Knife Supply).

Somewhat related:
Knifemaker/Craftsman/Service provider level members are not the same as dealers.
The difference is a dealer sells stuff he buys from other sources, a Knifemaker/Craftsman/Service Provider makes the products he sells himself or does the services himself.

Here is a link to the BladeForums Paid Dealer List:

Suppliers I know who are not listed are:
Greenberg Woods
Niagara Specialty Metals

Correct, you are a craftsman or manufacturer. You make the products you sell.
Chuck is a dealer because he sells the anvils you make, along with many other items that he purchases for resale.

Here is a link to the BladeForums Paid Dealer List:

Suppliers I know who are not listed are:
Greenberg Woods
Niagara Specialty Metals

Thanks Chuck.

Back