Recon Tanto Issue

I've had one of these a few years, love the size, weight, etc. Recently I've been on a downsizing / consolidating kick and started thinking about how to simplify my knife collection.

I was thinking about getting a few SK-5 Recon Tantos to stash around - garage, vehicles, range box, etc., and a nicer San Mai for outdoors / camping stuff (game, food prep mostly).

So Amazon had them on sale last week and I got one (of course) to check out. Unfortunately, the blade had a slight curve to the right two inches or so from the tip and its on the way back to Amazon.

I may have to rethink my plan if the replacement isn't up to par.

Last edited:
I wish I'd gotten one at the $38 price, but I think the Odenwolf W-Catcher is a better knife, and I'm going to get one of those. I've got two Recon Tantos already, but one has a Carbon V blade, so I'm saving it as a collector's piece. My more recent Recon Tanto SK-5 version -- does the sharpened blade come all the way to the hilt? My SK-5 version does, but the photo shows the blade coming to a space for the finger, for better control.

The 7-inch blade is nice. I wish it could be carried horizontally, though. One can buy adaptors for such carry, but it would be nice if it came that way.

Back