Round Knife, where you been all my life?

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
After studying threads in Sheaths & Such, I decided to make some round knives. These started out as .058" 52100 and ended up under .03" behind a convex edge. It took some tweaking but they cut like butter.

Unknown Spalted, Blackwood, and Mesquite burl.
20200102_125217-01.jpeg

IMG_20200102_125857_706.jpg

Two things worth mentioning here:

First, thanks to @sheathmaker @TK Steingass @Horsewright and others for sharing their knowledge in the Sheath forum. The threads that those three have on round knives are the best resources out there.

Second, I'd never used a round knife before I made these. These are game changers to say the least. If anyone is on the fence or wondering if they are worth it, they are, period. Cutting leather with these is incredible, the push cut is so much more efficient. I really wish I would have known the value of these years ago.

I'm gonna send those blocks off to have stabilized, they have some incredible grain. Can't thank you enough for those.
You're quite welcome, I have one nice hunk left and deciding what I'm going to do with it. I'm finally at at a point where I can swing a hammer without too much trouble. Have some interesting things I want to try this year, have the forge in the basment shop relining it so I cans fire it up.

You're quite welcome, I have one nice hunk left and deciding what I'm going to do with it. I'm finally at at a point where I can swing a hammer without too much trouble. Have some interesting things I want to try this year, have the forge in the basment shop relining it so I cans fire it up.
That's awesome man, I hope you can get back at it and fire that sucker up! I'm looking forward to a productive year.

Beautiful and unique pieces.
I imagine sharpening something like that is a bit different.

Thanks man, (what's your IG name?)

Trying to get a photo to show the detail in blackwood is a pain.

I don't have an IG account, I was following the link in your sigline. It lets you scroll down a few rows before it locks you out.

Took this bad boy for a test drive today. I will admit I was a little intimidated at first. Holding it made me feel like both a super villain and a 10 fingered man that was about to be a 9 fingered one. Once I put it to leather, made a few passes and got used to pushing it through leather it all went smoothly. I was surprised how easily it made cutting curves. Top notch craftsmanship. Thanks again John.IMG_20200114_125147_982.jpg

Took this bad boy for a test drive today. I will admit I was a little intimidated at first. Holding it made me feel like both a super villain and a 10 fingered man that was about to be a 9 fingered one. Once I put it to leather, made a few passes and got used to pushing it through leather it all went smoothly. I was surprised how easily it made cutting curves. Top notch craftsmanship. Thanks again John.View attachment 1265531
You're Welcome Tim, I hope it turns out to be of use:thumbsup:

Oh, and don't tell mitch4ging mitch4ging where you live or that might come up missing!!:D

Back