S.A.R Knife

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm not sure why I'm thinking of this as a knife that would be a good tool for a S.A.R. first response person, but I do think of it that way so I'm just going to go with it.

Soory that this isn't a finished knife to look at, but I overcame a super tricky part which was holding me back, and felt like getting the ball rolling. If anyone is out there, and wants to see any WiP pics, let me know.

The tricky part was fitting this guard;

rDcujfY.jpg

Pho0pyh.jpg

FUneTic.jpg

D0sVoay.jpg

The fit isn't 100% yet, but it's looking good and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm anticipating this knife will be complete before Blade Show, so hopefully there isn't much of a wait to see the finished knife.

I'm not sure why I'm thinking of this as a knife that would be a good tool for a S.A.R. first response person, but I do think of it that way so I'm just going to go with it.

Soory that this isn't a finished knife to look at, but I overcame a super tricky part which was holding me back, and felt like getting the ball rolling. If anyone is out there, and wants to see any WiP pics, let me know.

The tricky part was fitting this guard;

rDcujfY.jpg

Pho0pyh.jpg

FUneTic.jpg

D0sVoay.jpg

The fit isn't 100% yet, but it's looking good and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm anticipating this knife will be complete before Blade Show, so hopefully there isn't much of a wait to see the finished knife.
I might be interested in taking that off your hands at Blade…..if available. 🤷🏻👍🏼😋

Absolutely would like to see a WIP, I enjoy your work.
thanks! Ok, I'll grab some pics along the way and post em up :)
I might be interested in taking that off your hands at Blade…..if available. 🤷🏻👍🏼😋
music to my ears! Unfortunately, I don't think they'll allow this in my carry-on lol. But you get right of first refusal👍
it might end up looking horrendous, so I won't hold you to it🤣

Wow Lorien , just wow ! That hamon turned out very nicely and the contrast between it and the rough patch above is both unique and intriguing. Although I lack your imagination and skill, I can’t help but think that you’re organically letting it flow and deciding as ya go (in regards to the “contrast”) It’s exciting to see the progress.

Can’t wait to see how amazing the SAR turns out, once perfected. I’m very curious what you have in mind for the scales/ handle…Best regards and see you at Blade !

Wow Lorien , just wow ! That hamon turned out very nicely and the contrast between it and the rough patch above is both unique and intriguing. Although I lack your imagination and skill, I can’t help but think that you’re organically letting it flow and deciding as ya go (in regards to the “contrast”) It’s exciting to see the progress.

Can’t wait to see how amazing the SAR turns out, once perfected. I’m very curious what you have in mind for the scales/ handle…Best regards and see you at Blade !
thanks man :)

you're right, wrt process- I haven't done this type of etching/polishing before, so it was a little experimental. I got some great advice from Stuart and watched a Walter Sorrells video. Ended up being 8 etching cycles, it's pretty cool to see it gradually build contrast after each polishing

this whole knife has been a 'let it flow' type situation. I never forged a knife before, so the shape I ended up with was totally unplanned. Stuart just set me up with a chunk of steel, and advice along the way so I just kept hammering at it until it was time to go home and there was a knife like shaped piece of steel

hey, I decided to enter Autumn into the Sooke Fine Arts show. Deadline is Thursday, so I have a little work ahead to make a display for it before hoppin on that plane

thanks man :)

you're right, wrt process- I haven't done this type of etching/polishing before, so it was a little experimental. I got some great advice from Stuart and watched a Walter Sorrells video. Ended up being 8 etching cycles, it's pretty cool to see it gradually build contrast after each polishing

this whole knife has been a 'let it flow' type situation. I never forged a knife before, so the shape I ended up with was totally unplanned. Stuart just set me up with a chunk of steel, and advice along the way so I just kept hammering at it until it was time to go home and there was a knife like shaped piece of steel

hey, I decided to enter Autumn into the Sooke Fine Arts show. Deadline is Thursday, so I have a little work ahead to make a display for it before hoppin on that plane
Great stuff ! I look forward to trying my hand at forging, probably at retirement. Not much unspoken for free time these days.

I predict that Autumn places very well at Art Show. Fall colored copper and brass 🍁 leaves would look very cool on the stand. Maybe even a mushroom ir two. If the beauty were at Blade, I’d buy her. After Blade, my pocketsess will be empty, my Precious . Lol !

got the sheath finished last night, so this project is pretty much complete. I may have to etch the blade again, I'm not super happy with the finish so there might be more polishing, too
dHCZmkL.jpg

gpceBia.jpg

got the sheath finished last night, so this project is pretty much complete. I may have to etch the blade again, I'm not super happy with the finish so there might be more polishing, too
dHCZmkL.jpg

gpceBia.jpg
Tell that knife to pull its pants down so we can see the goods! 🤣🤣🤣

Gorgeous sheath Louen. 👌👅❤️

Last edited:
Back