S7 Swords

I've found that the traditional furniture (koshirae/toso) isn't very practical for a user, especially the saya (scabbard/sheath). I've foregone having traditional fittings on the tsuka and removed the menuki, tsuba, and kashira on 2 of my user blades and just set them aside. They just have the rayskin wrapped in ito. They're a tiny bit lighter and might have shifted the balance slighty forward, but still very manageable in-hand. I would definitely consider a kydex saya :) less work, more durable, and easier to carry.

You are going to love them! They are going to be stripped down to the bare essentials, the only thing I'm adding is a stronger full tang.

the full tang just might be what is needed to achieve better balance. this is definitely going to be on the list.

no... you must pay me first.. I am the piper. TWEEEEEEEEEET. er hmmm I don't know the sound of a piper.. you must first complete the rite of passage.. (not sure what it is yet, but you must pass it!)

:E

no... you must pay me first.. I am the piper. TWEEEEEEEEEET. er hmmm I don't know the sound of a piper.. you must first complete the rite of passage.. (not sure what it is yet, but you must pass it!)

:E

I'm in as long as there are no animal sacrifices involved.

I'm in as long as there are no animal sacrifices involved.

Tree sacrifice. I'm hoping hippy chicks will show up naked and guard it. The only problem is that I live in the forest so they might pick the wrong one... muahhhahahaha...

Aspen Sacrifice! I have a bunch to clear to let light in, a 50 footer must go! Pine too just to show off. Then oak, that stuff is tough.

LOL nerdy tree facts - Aspens are the single largest living organism known to man, a grove will share one root system, lol so if you cut one down 10 more will pop up where you chopped it. One year I cut bunch of aspen roots out of my raised bed garden and every place I chopped a root led to a new tree, eventually I had aspens all over the beds...

a renewable resource!

i am all up for the naked hippy chicks, as long as they aren't hairy. i have a debilitating phobia towards hairy women, lol.

a renewable resource!

i am all up for the naked hippy chicks, as long as they aren't hairy. i have a debilitating phobia towards hairy women, lol.

No hairy chicks allowed! I screen all protesters. :D

I can just imagine you with a shaving-sharp mini-poon in hand, with nekkid hippie chix lined up, being inspected for superfluous body hair...

sign me up for the afterparty guest list, lol.

I can just imagine you with a shaving-sharp mini-poon in hand, with nekkid hippie chix lined up, being inspected for superfluous body hair...

sign me up for the afterparty guest list, lol.

hmmm... I may have to spread the word about the tree destruction, sounds nice.

we want pictures.. and it sounds like we need a lottery to see who gets dibs.. O_O

also, is there a slight sweep to these, or is that the trickery of the image O_x

Gooey- do you like the ruki? I am still trying to figure out where my moola will go for a waki sized blade.. I once carved one out of maple.. basically a bokken to practice with so I wouldn't chop my head off.. the length is perfect for all around whoop ass and misc. chop chop!

daniel.. will your's stand up to the ruki and the swamp rats version? I don't like the scrapizashi though.. hmm moo?

Hey sloth, I have the rucki on pre-order. I don't think they've shipped yet.

Daniel's S7 Waki is longer, and looks like it's more weight-biased towards the tip. As for SR-101 vs S7, it's a close call with the advantage to SR-101 for edge retention I think. But if Daniel's S7 HT comes out with results like Scrapyard's SR77, then nothing out there would be tougher unless you venture into exotic territory (my grail steel is Vanadis 4E, but might as well be unobtainium). However, I think the key to bringing S7's performance over the top might be to bring its HRC above 56-57 (tool steel applications) and bring it to 58-59. Might even get away with it when you take Daniel's grinds and blade geometry into consideration. That extra point or two in hardness makes a big difference for the S-series steels (only academically speaking, I have never worked with steel) from what I've read up on. All in all, S7 is about as good as you can get for custom big blades/choppers, realistically speaking. There's CPM-REX121 and Vanadis 4E that would would surpass its properties, and those are extremely exotic having workable hardness at 66+ (Vanadis4E) and 68+(REX121), but they are also very hard to get, expensive, and near impossible to find someone to work with it (I'm getting one of Farid's CPM-REX121 folders :) ). I think the DFK S7 waki will be great, as will his other big S7 blades.

I'll rely on a knifemaker's skill to make a good steel excel, which is what I'm expecting from Daniel.

we want pictures.. and it sounds like we need a lottery to see who gets dibs.. O_O

also, is there a slight sweep to these, or is that the trickery of the image O_x

Gooey- do you like the ruki? I am still trying to figure out where my moola will go for a waki sized blade.. I once carved one out of maple.. basically a bokken to practice with so I wouldn't chop my head off.. the length is perfect for all around whoop ass and misc. chop chop!

daniel.. will your's stand up to the ruki and the swamp rats version? I don't like the scrapizashi though.. hmm moo?

Pictures, soon... I need to finish these up! Lotto, yeah probably, lol... They do have a slight sweep like a Katana does.

I have to say I do think mine will be better, it will be 100% handmade by one person with attention to detail. :D

Hey sloth, I have the rucki on pre-order. I don't think they've shipped yet.

Daniel's S7 Waki is longer, and looks like it's more weight-biased towards the tip. As for SR-101 vs S7, it's a close call with the advantage to SR-101 for edge retention I think. But if Daniel's S7 HT comes out with results like Scrapyard's SR77, then nothing out there would be tougher unless you venture into exotic territory (my grail steel is Vanadis 4E, but might as well be unobtainium). However, I think the key to bringing S7's performance over the top might be to bring its HRC above 56-57 (tool steel applications) and bring it to 58-59. Might even get away with it when you take Daniel's grinds and blade geometry into consideration. That extra point or two in hardness makes a big difference for the S-series steels (only academically speaking, I have never worked with steel) from what I've read up on. All in all, S7 is about as good as you can get for custom big blades/choppers, realistically speaking. There's CPM-REX121 and Vanadis 4E that would would surpass its properties, and those are extremely exotic having workable hardness at 66+ (Vanadis4E) and 68+(REX121), but they are also very hard to get, expensive, and near impossible to find someone to work with it (I'm getting one of Farid's CPM-REX121 folders :) ). I think the DFK S7 waki will be great, as will his other big S7 blades.

I'll rely on a knifemaker's skill to make a good steel excel, which is what I'm expecting from Daniel.

I will be going for 58 RC, that is achieved through an air quench and a 400F temper. I agree on the key being a high hardness, I think for a while some people brought it down softer because they thought it needed to be like most other swords but since it is S7 it has unbeatable toughness at 58 RC! :eek:

I have the Wakichete which I think is going to just slice anything around like crazy since it is .125" thick, my theory is that I can go with a thin steel since it is so tough and laser through objects. It has a double chisel grind. :D

The bigger sword is 5/16" thick and is a beast! force = mass x acceleration on this one!

They both have a weight forward design, I like my choppers with plenty of weight on the tip.

hmmm ok I'll take the Wakichete :) perhaps that one can get the one side horse mat, one side kytro gitd or other gitd micarta on "finger side".. horse mat on palm side :D though you said kydex with wrap.. hmmm

TALK TO ME :D oh did I mention, PICS :D

horse mat contoured to show krypto GITD underneath !

sort of like zis:

havokXsubhilt.jpg

hmmm ok I'll take the Wakichete :) perhaps that one can get the one side horse mat, one side kytro gitd or other gitd micarta on "finger side".. horse mat on palm side :D though you said kydex with wrap.. hmmm

TALK TO ME :D oh did I mention, PICS :D

hey man! I like those ideas, I'm still debating it all, it isn't too late to drill them for scales that's for sure. I'm hoping to find time to get back on these, I worked until 9:30 last night trying to get caught up.

The Havok! :cool:

I have a whole sheet of Crypto coming in by the way, fresh from Shadetree Custom Composites!

Hey Daniel, do you convex the bevel side on your chisel ground choppers?

Hey Daniel, do you convex the bevel side on your chisel ground choppers?

I usually sharpen the knife with a convex micro bevel, as far as convexing the whole grind I occasionally do one. I like a flat main chisel grind, a convexed bevel and a convex tip.

I almost always convex the tip but it depends on the knife. I am making a knife right now that has a chisel tip and a convex main grind with a microbevel... totally different.

Back