Saws

mykel m

Gold Member
Sooo....
I went out on Easter day and compared my Fiskars, Corona and Silky folding saws and thought I'd share my experience with the three.
All three are pull cutters and have approximately 10" blades, with the Fiskars and Coronna having curved blades.
I cut the Fiskars handle down a bit because it was too high for a comfortable grip IMO so that's why it looks like it do BTW.

I'll just go ahead and say the Silky outperformed the other two by a good bit.
It took only 27 pulls to go through the branch with the Gomboy 270 with med. teeth and it took 40 some for the Fiskars and 30 some for the Corona with coarse teeth each.
And just to make sure I counted right I did it again with the same results plus or minus a few pulls for each.
The Silky Gomboy is a supper smooth cutter and really impressed me with its performance.
And it folds down to a more compact package for you back packers.
Well worth the extra cost IMO.(about double the Corona)

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

Then....
after farting around camp a bit I decided to see how the Silky handled big wood and found this blowdown and commenced to sawing away.
I didn't count the pulls but it went silky smooth with nary a sweat broke going through the log/future firewood.
Heck of a saw!
DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

Then yesterday I went out to shoot my new LCR and took the Buck Saw I made to check it out against the Silky.
And again the Silky kicked butt!
It took 56 pulls for the Buck Saw vs 32 for the Silky going through the smaller end of the log I had cut on Easter.
But wait... I then realized the Buck saw cuts on both strokes so that means the BS took 112 strokes to the Silky's 32 and the Silky is half the length and still outperformed the Buck Saw!
Heck of a saw that Silky Gomboy 270 with medium teeth!

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

I've read many a post/review touting the superiority of the Silky brand saws and now see for myself that the reviewers weren't blowing smoke up my skirt.
Well worth the extra cost IMO.

If anyone wants a free Fiskars or Corona let me know, I'll ship it out at no cost to you.:D

Any experience with the Bahco? Around the house I use a Fiskars bow saw but bought a Bahco for my B.O.B., maybe should consider the Silky.

I've had much the same results with Silky. I bought one for SWMBO a few years back and it gets a ton of use. Mostly by me of course. I absolutely love the thing. One day I really should get one for me.:D

No experience with a Bahco, hear good things about them, but I think a Silky will out perform it.

I use my Bahco as much as my Silky but will admit certain models of the Silky can cut faster and some dont but they have a good variety to choose from. For me the savings of the Bahco I am pleased with the performance.

pretty neat tool to have around, enevr used 'em myself but at leats now I know which is best :) thanks myke

I've got an older one made by Buck, that has a wood blade and bone blade, that works pretty good.

I wouldn't blow smoke up your skirt Myke - I am a very happy Silky user.

Here are my 2 favorites -

As you can see they are not back pack saws, not even camp saws, unless you are driving in to your camp.

The one in the orange sheath is a Sugoi 360 with the curved blade and aggressive sharp teeth that will saw through up to 5" soft wood so easily and 3" or 4" hardwoods with a little bit more effort - all one handed.

The folder is a Katanaboy - a 46" overall long tool with a 21" blade that makes me laugh every time I use it. OMG can this saw cut through a log. If you don't have a sharp chain saw this is a good substitute. More sweat involved (a two hander) and a bit more time than sawing with the chain saw, of course, but it is quiet and cuts with a great satisfaction.

I do not hesitate to recommend Silky saws in any length or toothiness. I've had other brands, including 4 or 5 Sandvik and Fiskars of all different sizes - no looking back once I tried the Silkies.

A note about costs - I'm a big proponent of buying local but though both of these are available at a local wood working tool shop the Katanaboy was priced at over $ 200.00. I watched for sales for more than a year when I finally decided to check Amazon. Found the very same saw direct from Japan for $96.00 delivered. I paid just over $ 70.00 for the Sugoi 360. In this case I'd say, shop around - buying from the source is not a bad thing. Saving $100.00 for a superior product is its own reward. :cool:

Last edited:
i have a silky pocketboy (i think that's the model)....good saw. great thread.

That's good to know, I've been thinking about getting that saw. And if your serious, I'll take that corona off your hands;)

Mykel,
I could give the Fiskars a job clearing shooting lanes come deer season.
Brad

Back