Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

I just came across this thread and it made me smile. I still have a sharpfinger that is from the 70’s and skinned lots of game. It has not seen use since I quit hunting but I still take it out and wipe it down every now and then. Great little knife.

Question please Codger, if I may.....I use a 154OT Drop Point when fishing to cut squid etc...its very sharp and I find its easier <for me> to place my thumb anywhere along the Drop Point blade to cut rather than use my 152OT Sharpfinger....I know you're a Sharpfinger 'Disciple' however what are your thoughts on using a Drop Point?....as an aside, many of the various USA Schrade mint knives I had set aside for ""the future"",.. I now find I'm using on a daily basis <not just my Schrade Fishing Knives which I have always put to use>..and really enjoying using the different Schrade Patterns for their intended purposes, rather than sitting in their original box's waiting for an occasional wipe...I also have a much greater appreciation now of the thought/reasons the Baers and their Staff had put into their knives, before Production...USA Schrade Bladeware forever.....Hoo Roo
Good question, Larry. Back in the '60's - '70's I was an outdoorsman and user of knives, not a collector or experimenter. So I bought and used a trio of knives, all Schrade, the 165OT, the 152OT and the 897UH. I never saw the need to add the 154OT if I were even aware of it during it's brief production, 1978-1988. Later, as a collector after the closing, I did try a 154OT a few times but it just didn't feel like it offered me any advantage over the Sharpfinger. Size, materials and carry weight being nearly identical, the loss of the piercing tip was noted. Today I have quite a few of the 156OT/UH in my collection as well as the 154's replacement 158OT/UH. Yet I can certainly see how some users would prefer the drop point blade shape.

I just came across this thread and it made me smile. I still have a sharpfinger that is from the 70’s and skinned lots of game. It has not seen use since I quit hunting but I still take it out and wipe it down every now and then. Great little knife.
A knife with a history of personal use in a lifetime of outdoor adventures remains a good companion even as a relic of nostalgia. Likewise my days of hunting, fishing, hiking, canoeing and camping are over but I prize my original Sharpfinger over all the others in my collection.

A recent acquisition, a Drop point Sharpfinger 154H. A special order subscription bonus for Peterson Publishing "Hunting" magazine. Special black Delrin handle, custom stamped shield and custom tang stamp. Exact dates and quantities unknown. Unlike the "Guns & Ammo" magazine Sharpfinger, I am yet to see the advertisement in the magazines for this one.

154OTH a.jpg154OTH c.jpg

In 1983, noting the response to the limited edition gift boxed Scrimshaw editions, Schrade expanded Sharpfinger marketing by introducing SGS-1 gift sets. Packed in a flat slip-top box with a blue felted tray designed like the predecessor Scrimshaw knives but a bit larger, this was a three piece set containing the best-selling fixed blade, 152OT Sharpfinger, it’s sheath and their best-selling small stockman, the 34OT Middleman.

These sets sold well over the years and were listed in catalogs through 2000. They quickly became popular event enhancement items for Ducks Unlimited, NRA and other organizations and companies. They are often the source of these SFO knives which came from sets which a previous owner has broken up, though some SFO Sharpfingers were ordered boxed singly or packed in bulk. Ornamentation might be limited to a sticker or brochure. Or custom screen printed box lids and trays, or any number of embellishments to the knives themselves.

Here is the Ducks Unlimited issue SDU152UHSGS-9. Whew! The original order was for only 200 sets in 1994-95. Judging by the quantity seen over the ensuing years, there must have been several subsequent orders.

1 SGS-9DU.jpg

SGS-9DU Lid.jpg

Last edited:
Happy 4th of July! From 1989, Ellenville Wawarsing local contribution in 1989. Estimated quantity 200 to 300 pieces.1989 Wawarsing 4th.jpg

1989 SC502 4th Of July.jpg

In 1948, John Cotter founded Cotter & Company, a retailer-owned company that included 25 independently owned and operated stores. With the purchase of Hibbard, Spencer and Bartlett in 1963, Cotter not only acquired the company, but also the True Value trademark—a long-standing brand and presence since 1932.

1988 was the 25th anniversary of Cotter’s True Value Hardware trademark logo founding and the 40th anniversary of Cotter’s founding. Cotter ordered a special factory order though not for the anniversary occasions, TV88, a SC502 Scrimshaw colored “North American Whitetail” deer bust art, in a presentation box with sheath, in a clampack store rack display packaging. Quantity ordered according to records was 5,000 pieces, not mentioned on the knife or packaging. I also have one of these in the more familiar fold-down plain white box suggesting they were sent to the company packaged both ways (or repackaged by a store or customer). After 35 years, it is surprising to see this issue still in it's original package.TV88 Fold Down Box.jpg

502SC LE Color Deer Bust 4.jpg.TV88 b.jpgTV88 aa.jpg

Last edited:
Something different this time. A knife from Schrade's sister company, Western. WHAAT?? In 1991 Camillus bought Western Cutlery and brought design and production inhouse to the factory in Camillus, New York. After a few years of cobranding, a modernized line was produced. In 2005-2006 the line which had molded Kraton handles, 420 stainless blades and was multibranded, The pattern I chose from this line is the aggressive combination edge upswept skinner, the Camillus Western Buckmasters BM32. It's relationship to the traditional Schrade Sharpfinger (and Camillus Gran'Pa GP152) is readily apparent. Only made those two years and evidently not in great volume as Schrade had a few years earlier., Camillus fell on hard times, closing at the end of February, 2007. Camillus Western BM32 c.jpgCamillus Western BM32 f.jpgCamillus Western BM32 c.jpgCamillus Western BM32 f.jpgCamillus Western BM32 d.jpg

How about an odd colored 152OT. I don't know who this one was made for yet. But some time after mid-2001 judging by the grind. A curiosity no doubt. It isn't the blank 502SC I am used to seeing. This one has the stock sawcut texture which was not molded into the Scrimshaw knives. But is the undyed "ivory" Delrin molded in the stock Old Timer molds with stock shield and tang stamp.

152OTW White d.jpg

Last edited:
Beginning not long after Schrade introduced their new patented “I-Beam” clampack packaging in the mid 1980’s, they began producing “Bonus Packs” which included various free items with “graphicly enhanced cards” to help attract buyers. Bonus items I have noted are a Brunton compass, a red vinyl poncho, a AAA flashlight, Schrade playing cards, Arkansas sharpening stones and a knife care kit. These were offered with various patterns of Old Timer knives.

In early June of 1999 an in-house New Product Sheet was issued and distributed for production of a bonus Sharpfinger Clampack with a Schrade knife care kit, 1520TCKP. No individual ordering customer was listed but rather “All levels/categories including major sporting goods and hardware retailers.

The SAK-2 Knife Care Kit was introduced in 1982 and contains: • 202 Oil • Utility cloth. • Sharpening stone. • Carry case • Maintenance/sharpening tips.

The included Sharpfinger knife was the standard production of that date with no special features denoting the bonus. It had the then-usual plain ground 1095HC blade, standard tang stamp, dyed sawcut Delrin handle and Old Timer shield. The sheath was the common leather handle snap sheath.

The quantity produced is unknown. They were ordered to be shipped by August 15th ’99 — December 15th ‘99. Timed to be retailed during the fall, winter, spring hunting and gift giving seasons.

As of this writing it has been nearly 35 years since these were produced in what was intended to be disposable short-term packaging. It is not common to find unopened new old stock of these today. In part because of retail buyers’ habit of disposing of packaging soon after purchase, partly because the plastic used for the clampack shells had little UV inhibitors leading to a portion becoming discolored and brittle.152OTCPK c.png

Another bonus Sharpfinger clampack. In 2001 Schrade made special clampacks featuring the Sharpfinger with a bonus lapel pin for IHEA fund raising in cooperation with Walmart. The knife itself is standard production with no special features to identify it once separated from the packaging. This 152OTCPH clampack is fairly uncommon to find in new in the packaging condition these days.

2001 152OTCPH-IHEA.jpg2001 152OTCPH-IHEA pin.jpg

Here is a special factory order Sharpfinger which appears occasionally. Made for a SGS-1 gift set for Bass Pro Shops in August, 2001. Here is the new product order sheet as transcribed by lrv back in 2018 in response to a member inquiry:

SFO for the Bass Pro Gift set

NEW ITEM LISTING REVISION
CATALOG #:SGS1BP PRODUCT FAMILY: Gift Set
DESCRIPTION:
CONTENTS:New H152 Knife H834 Bulk (S0905450)
PACKAGING:
OUANTITY: 500
Distribution:
DATE: 6/6/01
Bass Pro has accepted a New Gift Set consisting of our existing H834 knife with ss blades that will have an existing "Bass Pro Shops" logo blade etch on the clip
blade and existing "Bass Pro "shield. The other knife will be our 152 knife with
Burgundy Delrin Saw Cut handles with New Bass Pro shield. 152 Must have
Heritage tang stamp & Stainless Steel blade. Blade should be etched with
existing "Bass Pro Shops" blade etch. We will pack both knives in our existing
SGSI black box with "Bass Pro Shops' screened on lid. New vac tray must have
existing Schrade Cutlery Mylar logo on it.

Shield # 12593 (for H834)
New Shield # (for H152) Made in House
7020124 - SGS1 Gift Box- Needs part number for screening Bass Pro Shops
7180711 - Warranty
7070019 - Sleeve
Shipped 8/1/01

Heritage Bass Pro Gift Set a.jpg

Heritage Bass Pro Gift Set b.jpg

Heritage Bass Pro Gift Set c.jpg

500 produced would be ten per U.S. state if there were none sent to Bass Pro stores in Canada at that time.

Another rarely seen color Delrin on Sharpfingers, a true yellow color. This one has a smooth handle without scrimshaw stamping or etch but a 502SC tang stamp (1993 or later) on a plain ground (pre-August 2001) blade. I've not seen one SFO marked with stamp, blade etch or shield, so this may well have been a material color sample from the factory sample room, but with no provenance such as an order or samplemaker's marks. It could even be a yet-undiscovered SMKW order. I don't trust the box stickers for that.502SC Yellow Sample.jpg

I recently posted on another forum that the Sharpfinger I bought 42 years ago as my first real hunting knife was my favorite ever. That particular knife has been deployed with me to Southwest Asia 4 times as well as accompanying me to a survival course for the Army has always been my go-to and last one I would ever get rid of.

Another true yellow Delrin Sharpfinger. This one has a sawcut texture handle with the standard Old Timer shield, no etch but a stock 152 tang stamp on a plain ground (pre-August 2001) blade. Again, I've not seen one SFO marked with stamp, blade etch or shield, so this may also have been a material color sample from the factory sample room, but with no provenance such as an order or samplemaker's marks. Like it's smooth Delrin 502SC cousin, it could possibly be a yet-undiscovered SMKW order.152OTY Guffey a.jpg

I recently posted on another forum that the Sharpfinger I bought 42 years ago as my first real hunting knife was my favorite ever. That particular knife has been deployed with me to Southwest Asia 4 times as well as accompanying me to a survival course for the Army has always been my go-to and last one I would ever get rid of.
Welcome to the forum! The Schrade Sharpfinger certainly did develop a devoted following among it's more than three million purchasers. And in fact, with many of those originals still available on the secondary market, nearly every domestic maker and importer has marketed their own version since 2004.

Like you, I learned to use, care for and appreciate my original from the 70's and never found a better blade for my uses. Key being as my farmer father taught me, respect a good tool and use it for it's intended purpose. Every one I see damaged is caused by using it as a different tool or neglected maintenance. Here is my original. Original Sharpfinger.JPG

Here is a knife I recently came across though it was made almost ten years ago.

Canal Street Cutlery, founded in 2005 and staffed mostly by former Imperial Schrade management and cutlers, briefly produced a version of the Sharpfinger beginning in 2013. The 8 1/2" High Country Skinner designed by Oleh Stecyk, was produced with chestnut handles (estimated less than 500 pcs.), with "Patriot Kirinite" (Fordite) handles and also as the SFO “NRA19” circa 2013, with black horn handles and adapted metal bolsters from a lockback knife in their line. Mirror polished D2 steel, there were 200 pieces of the NRA19 issue made. The company closed in 2020. Oleh Stecyk evidently had design improvement thoughts over the previous forty years which included adding a bolster and grind changes.

CSC High Mountain Skinner  Patriot Kirinite.jpgCanal Street Cutlery NRA a.jpg

Thank you for the welcome, I can see the influence of the Sharpfinger but I still prefer the original the bolster does nothing for me.

Thank you for the welcome, I can see the influence of the Sharpfinger but I still prefer the original the bolster does nothing for me.
Oh I don't disagree. In fact I would likely find the CSC version disconcerting because of it's increased size and weight though slight.

CSC Sharpfinger Albers a.jpg

We must recall however that the Canal Street knife was never intended to be an exact copy of the smaller inexpensive sportsman's tool, the ISC Sharpfinger. CSC produced in much smaller volumes for an upscale collector market. They invested more in cutler time, materials and packaging to produce a higher quality knife that could demand a much higher retail price. While the High Country Skinner could certainly be used as a field tool, the very details that made it unique reduced it's durability in those tasks.

Never know what oddities you will run across in the World Of Sharpfingers. This one is a remaindered blade from the 1975 G.D.O.T. issue mounted with smooth black (Delrin? Wood?) handle, brass rivets and no shield or etch. It;s story is unknown as with many of the odd ones, there is no packaging or clues to it's origin. Except... the brass rivets are smaller than the originals used which suggests that this is a "pallet knife", a group of factory blades exported post 2004 to have handles fitted (usually wood) and reimported for sales here.

G.D.O.T. Bllank Guffey a.jpg

Here is the complete original knife as produced and sold in 1975.

GDOT #3113 a.jpg

GDOT #3113 d.jpg

Back