SCHRADE+ U.S.A. stamp question

I recently acquired an unsharpened blade blank with the stamp SCHRADE+ U.S.A., the U.S.A. is centered under the SCHRADE+. This appears to be a Sharpfinger extra that was not factory finished. I've plans on making some nice oak scales and to put an edge on the blade unless it should be left alone. I haven't any luck in finding a stamp like this with an Internet search and I'd like to know more about this blade. Please excuse my ignorance if this has been discussed already, I've not located that thread if it has. Thanks for the help!

I'm still new and slow with technology. Posting pictures has been proven to be a difficult and near impossible task for me. I spent the better part of an hour trying to download a picture and even an app to support a picture transfer, not working for me..... I just can't figure it out, even after reading ALL the how to post pictures threads. I guess I'll just be limited to posting detailed descriptions of my questions in hopes of the seasoned forum members understanding my issue. I understand pictures help and I wish I could, I'd post more if it was easy as FB.

Hi rwads3 from Australia,
Those blades were left-over blanks from Imperial Schrade, intended for their 2003-04 production.
They were sold at the Schrade Close-Down Sale.
A large number of them were then sent to China, to be finished off with poor grade wooden handles.
They were then sold off on eBay as "New U.S. made Schrade knives", some even sold in genuine Schrade Boxes.

I have removed duplicated information.

Last edited:
Hi rwads3 from Australia,
Those blades were left-over blanks from Imperial Schrade, intended for their 2003-04 production.
They were sold at the Schrade Close-Down Sale.
A large number of them were then sent to China, to be finished off with poor grade wooden handles.
They were then sold off on eBay as "New U.S. made Schrade knives", some even sold in genuine Schrade Boxes.

The bone handled knives below, were made about 2002-03 by Imperial Schrade, as a special order.[hard to find now]
The 2004 Wooden handled, 100th Anniversary knife set, never made it to production.
Codger, has a boxed Sharpfinger from the 2004 Wooden handled, 100th Anniversary knife set

medium

medium

medium

medium

The knives below, were made up in China, using unfinished left-over Imperial Schrade blade blanks.
Note: The wooden handles, fitted in China - and the Genuine Schrade box, to deceive buyers.
The made in the U.S.A. paperwork, would fool buyers - unfamiliar with the original Schrade knives.

s-l1600.jpg

This is another Schrade blade, finished off in China.... Ken.
s-l1600.jpg

This Schrade Blade, is listed on eBay as a new "U.S.A. made Schrade knife with box"
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The last pic that you posted of the close up of the tang stamp is like mine, except mine has U.S.A. centered under the SCHRADE+ I've also been told that mine is not hardened and will be too soft to use. It's probably best that I use it as a collectors type item.....

Hang on there just a sec Koldgold.I see your point about addressing the Ebay sellers offering those wooden re-handled Sharpfingers in Plus Steel.I bought a few of them and praise them for several reasons...

*It was nice to have a rust resistant Sharpfinger

*If you look at the Sharpfinger blade made in China for both Taylor and BTI Tools or handle one in person...two completely different blades.At least these were the original blades by Schrade Cutlery USA which are an upswept skinner with 1/4" in false edge above the finger guard.The Taylor Cutlery model is thicker,lighter,blade is 1/4" shorter and reflects a clip-point since China puts edge right above the finger guard.From observing them initially they appear to have been edged at the Ellenville factory.Most likely heat treated by Schrade USA as well since it sharpens up great and doesn't reflect a dime store knife in edge retention.

*I can't complain about the wood quality other than it's smoothly finished.My only issue was of the three I purchased one of them wasn't riveted quite as well as one of the scales had a tad bit of play.Easily fixed with gentle squeeze of a bench vise though.

They were $35 a pop and I was happy to give Schrade USA blades a good home.The reason Schrade Cutlery didn't offer the delrin scales is because they were disposed of.There was probably some legality with Taylor owning the rights and that the Schrade factory couldn't use any of the original Old Timer or Uncle Henry scales when they sold off the remaining blades.Schrade Cutlery used Pakkawood to whip up a substitute for the original scales and had some assembled and some sold as a bag containing the blade,rivets,and scales...a sub-assembled set.At least that's what I learned from SMKW who was the biggest buyer of those blades.

Now I'll give this to the Pakkawood scaled Plus Steel models...they're rare now...but weren't three years ago.I'm glad these were cranked out so people would pick these over the Taylor Cutlery version,which is inferior.

Last edited:
As this is a fouram for Imperial Schrade knives, made from 1904 to 2004 when they closed down.
My post above, was ment to show New Collectors, that Old Unfinished Schrade Blades, are not "New U.S.made knives - with box and paperwork"
And pointing out, Genuine Schrade Sharpfingers are stiil about for well under $95 [the asking price for a knives made in China, on eBay]
The Genuine Sharpfingers are still about, and sell from $30 to $50 from time to time.

This thread, showing the overlap between original Schrade parts and the Chinese connection, is an excellent discussion for future readers, and has a legitimate place here. On a related note, I would like to know if the blades were indeed heat-treated. If so, I might be tempted to seek out some of the 165 OT blades with Chinese handles and have them re-handled.

Last edited:
... I might be tempted to seek out some of the 165 OT blades with Chinese handles and have them re-handled.

My point in this thread is: Genuine Schrade knives like the 165OT, that were made till the 1990's - are still selling on ebay.
There is a 165OT with sheath, sitting on $30 today.
For my money, an Old Schrade knife that left the Schrade Factory, is a better buy then an unfinished blade.
Heat-treated or not heat-treated is one question. By whom is an other question. Ken

Hi Koldgold, I see you are in Aus as me to. Wondering if you maybe able to help please. Could you give me a rough price guide on what a ulster 3OT would be worth here. Not having any luck getting an idea as yet. It's in used condition but still a tidy knife. Thanks Wal

ebay is the only way I know to get a rough price guide.
I do not sell knive, I tend to Collect them only. Some times I could find a knife for you.
Sorry I can not help... Ken

My point in this thread is: Genuine Schrade knives like the 165OT, that were made till the 1990's - are still selling on ebay.
There is a 165OT with sheath, sitting on $30 today. For my money, an Old Schrade knife that left the Schrade Factory, is a better buy then an unfinished blade. Heat-treated or not heat-treated is one question. By whom is an other question. Ken
Ken, if you are going to quote me, please do not quote me out of context with part of it missing. I had said that I would be interested in some of these blades IF THEY HAD BEEN HEAT-TREATED. Nobody in China would be heat-treating them, so your phrase "by whom is an other (sic) question" is irrelevant. If there is a pristine Schrade 165OT with sheath on ebay today for $30, I have not been able to find it. I watch with several different search parameters more than once a day and have done so for years and have never seen an excellent original 165OT with sheath sell for $30. But occasionally some of these U.S. blades with Chinese handles DO sell for a reasonable price. And that is the attraction. I have 26 completely different 165 pattern original Schrade knives. Some of them are so rare that almost no collectors have ever seen one. I don't need or want another $30 pitted Schrade knife with no serial number or other desirable feature. I have all the user knives I could ever want. But It would be interesting to me to examine one of these Chinese-handled knives and have some nice handles put thereon by one of several talented craftsmen that I know. I see that another member has used one or more of the sharpfingers that have been re-handled in China and believes that the heat-treating has been done. I suspect that he is right, but it is still an unknown. Truthfully, I collect these knives but when I go to use a knife in the kitchen or in the field, it will probably be something completely different. I don't buy Schrade knives to use but I do have a tiny few Schrade knives that are users, a 25OT folding hunter, a Schrade full-size stockman, and a fillet knife. All the others are collectibles and will never cut anything.

Cal, I did not quote you out of context. I English; "... " indicates I used some of your quote.
That part of you quote is precisely what you posted.
If anyone needs to read your "full quote", they can still read the full post.

I do not know why Australian's and American's have problems communicating in English, some times.
In your last post you say "... If there is a pristine Schrade 165OT with sheath on ebay today for $30, I have not been able to find it".
Did I really say there was a pristine knife selling on eBay for $30, I do not think so!
In my last post I said,
If I needed a good knife to use, I would use an old Genuine Schrade knife [like the one for sale on ebay NOW for $30.

I do not understand what you mean by; "... I don't need or want another $30 pitted Schrade knife with no serial number or other desirable feature. I have all the user knives I could ever want."

Cal, I'm not trying to sell you or anyone else, a $30 knife. I just stated my opinion... Ken

Man, I wish I could stumble across a $20 Sharpfinger! When they hit eBay for that price, they don't last long!

This knife like many more, stay around for days on auction sites - often with very little bids.

I bought one of the 165 pattern knives several years back when SMKW was selling them. The blade was stamped schrade plus so stainless of course. Here's an interesting tidbit. A former Schrade employee who has done a lot of custom work on Schrades ( bet you can guess who) was kind enough to remanded for me. He was straight forward and said he had some mascara and stag but didn't think the cost was worth it. He said he had some old Schrader delrin handle he could put on it for just the labor and that's what I had him do. Here's the interesting part. He emailed me to see if I received the knife in the mail. He said he had to adjust the handle because when the Chinese put the wood handles on the rivet holes were off and the contour of the handle was off. The handles looked like they were a factory fit Mr. ******** got through tho"

Just chiming in, replacement blade for sale on eBay are good steel and hold an edge after they are sharpen for the first time. Just FYI

Back