Photos SCISSORS AND SHEARS MOUNTAIN

Mmm I`ve always liked collecting "Sharpies" - allsorts of kitchen knives, razors and cutting tools and I really do not need or have anymore room for kitchen knives.
However, I do like scissors and shears and so does my seamstress and upholsterer girlfriend and the pile of scissors has grown a bit especially in the last year and now we have quite a variety and have pairs to do most jobs.

HEAVYWEIGHT-INDUSTRIAL-SCISSORS.jpg

This first top picture is heavyweight tailors shears from William Whiteley, Sheffield, England, Mundial from Brasil, ELK 10" shears from Finland and Beta orange-handled 12" industrial shears from Italy.They are all over a pound and the four 12" pairs weigh a pound and a half.
They all have serrated lower blades which are great for fine and slippy fabrics like silk and satin.
I know these are not as good as vintage 13", 14", 15", 16" vintage tailors and sailmakers shears from the 19th and 20th century, but they are all new, strong and sharp.
WHITELEY_AND_WILKINSON_SCISSORS.jpg

This second picture down is all English William Whiteley and Wilkinson of Sheffield industrial shears and scissors which I love.
ASSORTED_SCISSORS_2.jpg

The third pic down is assorted scissors comprising of red handle crab scissors, retro forged carbons, green handle garden scissors and multi purpose scissors from Japan, England and China.
ASSORTED_SCISSORS_1.jpg

The fourth pic down is an assortment of long vets scissors, Olfa and CK electricians snips, C Jet tools turquoise handle multi purpose shears imported from America, big red/grey gardening scissors and orange EMT bandage shears.
ASSORTED_SCISSORS_3.jpg

The fifth pic down is assorted cheapie Chinese scissors.
HAIRDRESSING_AND_NAIL_SCISSORS.jpg

The sixth pic down is hairdressing, grooming and nail scissors.
KAI_SERRATED_TAILORS_SHEARS.jpg

The seventh pic down is two Japanese Kai serrated tailors shears - the 7 series and the 5 series which are both excellent.
PINKING_SHEARS_AND_SEWING_SCISSORS.jpg

The eighth pic down is Sheffield William Whiteley 332 pinking shears and vintage German Solingen pinking shears plus assorted sewing and embroidery scissors.

I forgot to show my sheep shearing shears, tinsnips, bonsai scissors and secateurs - nevermind.

Last edited:
The reason we have so many is because my other half does alterations/tailoring and upholstery for the needy & homeless and I do my best cooking and feeding them in town.Now in winter it`s very busy indeed !

We give a lot of scissors, needles and thread and knives and chopping boards away because it gets people cooking and mending clothes themselves - spreading a bit of love - we are both old hippies haha !

It doesn`t even matter if people don`t use them - they can share them or pass `em on and it does a bit of good.

Last edited:
INDIAN_BRASS_SCISSORS.jpg

My girlfriend has promised not to buy anymore scissors after these new ones landed and I said I won`t get anymore knives.
I might just get one decent cut-throat straight razor because mine is not the best quality steel and it`s a bit rough.
We have no room for them and we don`t need them plus we are giving them away to people who are less fortunate than ourselves - to help them cook and mend clothes etc.
Some hand-made Indian brass handled ones arrived ( which weigh 699 grams - 1.5 pounds ) together with some all stainless ones, a titanium-coated pair, some budget orange ones and some good serrated gardening scissors.
The two bottom ones are second sets.

Since you seem to have vast knowledge on scissors and shears, would you mind giving any recommendations to me? Specifically I am looking for gardening shears recommendations for my wife.

Also kudos to you and your significant other for helping out your community! It is inspiring.

Since you seem to have vast knowledge on scissors and shears, would you mind giving any recommendations to me? Specifically I am looking for gardening shears recommendations for my wife.

Also kudos to you and your significant other for helping out your community! It is inspiring.
Thank you PenisMightier if your wife is looking for hedge/topiary shears and you want ultimate sharpness and precision I would go for Japanese Okatsune, Niwaki, Matsunaga, Toyama Hamano brands because they are not too heavy and the steel is fantastic - they are not cheap but will last a lifetime if they are cleaned and oiled after use and storage.Generally Japanese shears are lighter than American, German and Swiss models but take a bit more looking after - like thoroughly cleaning, drying and oiling after every use - I think they are worth it for the performance - they take almost no effort to use and are perfect for ladies.
The good Japanese ones start about $100 but they are a buy once heirloom option.

If you wanted more robust industrial shears I would go for something like Carl Kammerling - C.K. Golden CeKa Hedge Shears which I own and they have never been sharpened but still cut hedges effortlessly after more than 40 years - they`re about $90-$100 but they last forever - the steel is mega tough as well..
They are made for hard commercial use and even have a shock absorber in the middle of the blades - to save your wrist from pain and injury.

If your lady wanted smaller garden shears I would go for some really tough, heavy serrated ones called Kent & Stowe Garden Scissors with grey and pink handles ( shown above ) which cut through stems half inch thick plus thick carpet , multiple layers of cardboard and tough plastic packaging - I have 3 pairs because they are so tough and durable - they are great in the kitchen, garden or for hobbies and they are not expensive - less than $20 on Amazon/ebay with p&p.
Also another good model Stateside is the CJet tools scissors shown above with the turquoise handles which are about $20 all inc.
If you let me know your budget and intended use I could advise you on specific models for your wife`s needs.

Last edited:
Thank you PenisMightier if your wife is looking for hedge/topiary shears and you want ultimate sharpness and precision I would go for Japanese Okatsune, Niwaki, Matsunaga, Toyama Hamano brands because they are not too heavy and the steel is fantastic - they are not cheap but will last a lifetime if they are cleaned and oiled after use and storage.Generally Japanese shears are lighter than American, German and Swiss models but take a bit more looking after - like thoroughly cleaning, drying and oiling after every use - I think they are worth it for the performance - they take almost no effort to use and are perfect for ladies.
The good Japanese ones start about $100 but they are a buy once heirloom option.

If you wanted more robust industrial shears I would go for something like Carl Kammerling - C.K. Golden CeKa Hedge Shears which I own and they have never been sharpened but still cut hedges effortlessly after more than 40 years - they`re about $90-$100 but they last forever - the steel is mega tough as well..
They are made for hard commercial use and even have a shock absorber in the middle of the blades - to save your wrist from pain and injury.

If your lady wanted smaller garden shears I would go for some really tough, heavy serrated ones called Kent & Stowe Garden Scissors with grey and pink handles ( shown above ) which cut through stems half inch thick plus thick carpet , multiple layers of cardboard and tough plastic packaging - I have 3 pairs because they are so tough and durable - they are great in the kitchen, garden or for hobbies and they are not expensive - less than $20 on Amazon/ebay with p&p.
Also another good model Stateside is the CJet tools scissors shown above with the turquoise handles which are about $20 all inc.
If you let me know your budget and intended use I could advise you on specific models for your wife`s needs.
Wow, thank you for all the info and recommendations, I really appreciate it!

She is looking for pruning shears to harvest flowers and maybe a smaller pair of sharp delicate scissors for taking leaves off the cut flowers. Mostly lighter gardening stuff. I would probably be the one to take care of them for her, but I don't mind having to oil and care for stuff like carbon steel. Some of my favorite knives are carbon steel and I already take care of those.

Budget would probably be $100.00 and under for one or both shears/pruners/secateurs/scissors.

You`re welcome PenisMightier erm I think I may be able to dig you out some salient links under your budget for good hand hedge shears and secateurs / scissors for the garden.
I`m a bit busy this week but I`ll get on the case for you and your wife - no worries.

Back