SDFK is Glorious

…more :

Stabbing (push cut): SSDFKIMG_3842.jpeg
General Appearance and feel: HDFK, according to my tastes. The Sig SDFK is quite sexy, though.IMG_3844.jpegIMG_3843.jpegAll in all, they are both amazing knives and there is much more criteria and variables to judge them by……

Can’t really add to EMCEE EMCEE ’s great photos and write-up.

Besides the small size difference (bigger is of course always better :) ), the main difference is the swedge. You can sharpen it on your SSDFK for an inch and have a fighter (Bowie style). Conversely, the HDFK is a better “batoner”. That’s it, l love them both.

Despite a thicker spine, the SDFK has a slightly narrower primary grind than the HDFK, which will give it a slight advantage in cutting ability in some applications.

The HDFK is meaningfully lighter (it is obvious to me in the hand and in use) and has some additional hand grips that may make it a slightly better camp and carry knife for some people, though they're both pretty reasonable stout woods knives. And, although the SDFK is practically indestructible, the HDFK has an even more durable tip for prying. Although the SDFK probably wins in an overall prying contest.

Both of them, if it ever fails for any reason other than intentionally breaking it I will repair, replace or refund. (Broken tips are repointed, broken scales are replaced with the material of my choosing). You can't break these knives without tools, and I dare you to try. And if they break with the use of tools they are covered unless you were doing it to break it on purpose.

The HDFK is perfectly balanced for its intended purpose. The SDFK is a good well balanced knife but not quite as perfect as the HDFK.

The HDFK represents some of our finest work and an important collaboration with Lorien.

The SDFK is less complicated to produce and is subsequently a better value. It has been a while since we produced the HDFK and there have been a few years in there with some really gnarly inflation so direct cost comparisons are not obvious to make, but the SDFK is a little bit better bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Despite a thicker spine, the SDFK has a slightly narrower primary grind than the HDFK, which will give it a slight advantage in cutting ability in some applications.

The HDFK is meaningfully lighter (it is obvious to me in the hand and in use) and has some additional hand grips that may make it a slightly better camp and carry knife for some people, though they're both pretty reasonable stout woods knives. And, although the SDFK is practically indestructible, the HDFK has an even more durable tip for prying. Although the SDFK probably wins in an overall prying contest.

Both of them, if it ever fails for any reason other than intentionally breaking it I will repair, replace or refund. (Broken tips are repointed, broken scales are replaced with the material of my choosing). You can't break these knives without tools, and I dare you to try. And if they break with the use of tools they are covered unless you were doing it to break it on purpose.

The HDFK is perfectly balanced for its intended purpose. The SDFK is a good well balanced knife but not quite as perfect as the HDFK.

The HDFK represents some of our finest work and an important collaboration with Lorien.

The SDFK is less complicated to produce and is subsequently a better value. It has been a while since we produced the HDFK and there have been a few years in there with some really gnarly inflation so direct cost comparisons are not obvious to make, but the SDFK is a little bit better bang for your buck.
Thanks for taking the time to write this out. Very much appreciate your insights!

Nathan:
Your loyal followers are so blessed to have such honest and well thought out knives coming from CPK. Knowing that y’all test the knives and stand behind them (only releasing them once you are pleased) is very comforting. For whatever our differences may be as knife users, we all may at some time need to rely on them in a serious shtf situation and I love having that faith in a knife that it will not let me down. I have some great knives, but the SDFK is with me anytime off the road system.

I believe in only using tools and equipment that you trust and I am picky about them with being miles away from people at the property. Having your knives is comforting. Sorry for the rant, I just want to thank you for being an honorable perfectionist and for making fantastic knives.

I couldn’t agree more with B beeinak

And the SDFK is just one great example!
View attachment 2225965

03e7bbf5815d9d5da76414f48e92ee23.jpg

J/K ... love both knives.

Blues Blues yes, you do need to be color coordinating your knives. Would have thought you would have known that, jeez!

I can't help myself. I hate getting dressed up...and the first thing I always did after school was get out of my school clothes.

(Anyway, who do you think actually writes the rules around here?...I can see I need to make some amendments. 🤣 🍻 )

That poor girl looks cold. I should give her a hug.

Picked up an SDFK from a nice member a couple weeks ago. Definitely got some heft to her. My biggest CPK yet. Sure looks and feels like it will do some work.

Unfortunately this is the most action it’s seen so far on my first squash of the year lol. Been a hot one here and got planted too late unfortunately, and had a lot of bugs.

SDFK next to some others for size comparison. From left to right EDC 2, DEK 2, DEK 1, BFK, UF2, and the SDFK.

Pictures deleted to make space for new ones

Last edited:
Not much SDFK love.

Got a new dress for the gal and got her nails done since I first received her. Oiled her up and she’s ready for a night out in the woods 😃. Haven’t got much use yet, other than terrifying my chili and vegetables plants with it haha 🤣 so no action shots yet

Pics deleted to try and make enough room for new ones

Last edited:
Back