Shard

Burchtree

KnifeMaker & Moderator
I dubbed this "the Shard" because it was made out of a much bigger knife. :D Originally a camp knife that got cracked in a quench, this is what the metal decided it wanted to be instead. The W-2 blade is 4 inches long and it is 8 1/4 inches overall.

Thanks for giving her a look. :)

shard.jpg

Pretty knife!

I like the way you look at it. And you can't argue with success--that knife knew it was in there!!

Larry

Another excellent knife. I've never met someone who can do as much with broken crap or who turns out masterpieces while he's "taking a break from my real stuff." Sheesh!

What are you finishing the steel to before etching? And what do you do after etching? I took this one to 400 grit, etched in some really old cruddy ferric chloride (which is probably the problem), then rubbed out with 0000 steel wool to even it up a bit. Looks nothing like your etch. What's your secret, so I can steal it from you?

chin9.jpg

Thank you to both of you --

Doc -- that is a sweet blade there! I take it to 2000 grit before etching. One popular way to get the oxides off is to rub flitz on the blade --

Forget that. I'd hand sand my hands right off if I went to 2000! My peeps will have to be happy with 400 grit "rustic" finish! :D

Chiro,
If you rub flitz on the blade, you will get the lighter/cleaner looking etch. Just etch like you normally do, then afterwards rub flitz on the blade with you finger, it really makes the temper line stand out.
Kyle Fuglesten

Nice Job. Way to use those, ooops, knives that got away just a little ;).

Larry

Back