Recommendation? sharpening breakfast knives?

Got a sharpening job for 6 butterknives. Micro serrated. What would you do? Those things aren't really supposed to be sharp I thought...
Not surprising there are no serious clips on YouTube of "colleagues" doing that. Only the see-if-I-can-make-it-shave stuff. But I can't give back a butter knife to a client shaving sharp. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Somebody pullin' your leg?
Definitely not. Willing to pay for it. I a glad about your reaction because I started to think maybe I am crazy and ignorant about it. A serrated bread knife I could do and it would make sense. This is misty. I will ask him directly. Maybe he wants an edge like a steak knife.

Are you set up to sharpen that kind of serrations? Pretty hard to do without removing them, or adding another bevel.

Personally, wouldn't even try, but nobody's paying me to do it, either.

Are you set up to sharpen that kind of serrations? Pretty hard to do without removing them, or adding another bevel.

Personally, wouldn't even try, but nobody's paying me to do it, either.
Exactly my thoughts. A new bevel on the flat side or remove it all and get a regular edge. I tried making a new edge on the back side on a similar knife. Result is not great. Hardly feeling like something is significantly sharp plus a looks not fantastic on the back. Can buff away most of the "work" but hmm, I do not like it. I discarded that option.

If someone asked me to do that, I'd just plainedge them.

ETA: Actually, I would ask what they are for and go from there...

You can use small jewelers files to get in there, or diamond files that have a taper. I have people bring them in all the time. I charge more for them but they still bring them.

But I can't give back a butter knife to a client shaving sharp.
Unless that’s what they want, right?

Seems like the obvious answer is a text or phone call to the client - otherwise you’re just guessing and might guess wrong.

Back