Sheath makers.... lets see what you have been working on.

JH10 Sheath
BQ09wMc.jpg

eWDrKco.jpg

Post moved to Busse forum. Still sometimes confused about where my Infi knives belong :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm going to share the way I make some of the sheaths that I carry in muddy terrain, when I can't find kydex, or when I find kydex too wide or too heavy for my ultralight backpacking.

Both the knife and the sword used in the video are from Busse Company Group, so I thought of sharing it here. For the Free Rein I have been looking for a more traditional, katana-like sheath, and I couldn't find any to purchase. So I created it.

I am curious if anyone else has used this method and can share additional tips from experience.

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm going to share the way I make some of the sheaths that I carry in muddy terrain, when I can't find kydex, or when I find kydex too wide or too heavy for my ultralight backpacking.

Both the knife and the sword used in the video are from Busse Company Group, so I thought of sharing it here. For the Free Rein I have been looking for a more traditional, katana-like sheath, and I couldn't find any to purchase. So I created it.

I am curious if anyone else has used this method and can share additional tips from experience.

Cheers!
Never heard of anyone making a sheath that way, but that's pretty ingenious! And now that you've shown it, it seems so obvious.
You could really make it tough if you used epoxy impregnated glass fiber cloth. But then, it would be very prone to dulling the edge, probably. But I've used that to build wood/glass-epoxy sea kayaks. Very strong, very lightweight.

But then, it would be very prone to dulling the edge, probably.
Edge dulling is not a problem, if the sheath is slightly wider than the knife blade and tighter on that side. You can see in my video that the inside profile is triangular. The blade is thick, so its grind will be stopped by the narrowing walls and the edge will never come in contact with that narrowing end of the sheath.

Edge dulling is not a problem, if the sheath is slightly wider than the knife blade and tighter on that side. You can see in my video that the inside profile is triangular. The blade is thick, so its grind will be stopped by the narrowing walls and the edge will never come in contact with that narrowing end of the sheath.
So the method you use ends up being a very rigid sheath, even with the paper and nylon? That's pretty cool!

So the method you use ends up being a very rigid sheath, even with the paper and nylon? That's pretty cool!
Exactly! 🙂

The paper (even soaked in resin and properly dried) is relatively soft and brittle. Thus, for the sword one I have first used a thin webbing as 1st layer on top of the paper (artificial silk; I don't know how it's called in English). That is maleable enough so that it preserved the exact shape of the paper sheath and I haven't tie it up too hard, to avoid breaking the paper. Once that first layer dried and hardened, I was able to follow up on the outside with 3 layers of webbing similar in thickness and density with the car safety belts (but narrower). And I could wrap that one around very tight. Once the resin soaking these extra-layers of thick webbing hardens, it becomes extremely rigid and durable. It is like a sort of micarta.

BTW: the paper I have used on the sword sheath is a thick A3 one (I think it's closer to cardboard than to printable paper). The one I used for the knife sheath is ordinary printer paper.

On one of my machetes, I have a sheath made the same way, but with coton patches cut out from some old pants (instead of webbing). The patches were not even sewed together (just pasted with resin to each other). Its only downside is that it looks like a vagabond's gear. But it is just as sturdy as the ones in the above video, and I'm using it for more than 10 years now. The machete is always razor sharp (no matter how many times I pull it in and out), until I start chopping with it. 👌👍

Last edited:
Exactly! 🙂

The paper (even soaked in resin and properly dried) is relatively soft and brittle. Thus, for the sword one I have first used a thin webbing as 1st layer on top of the paper (artificial silk; I don't know how it's called in English). That is maleable enough so that it preserved the exact shape of the paper sheath and I haven't tie it up too hard, to avoid breaking the paper. Once that first layer dried and hardened, I was able to follow up on the outside with 3 layers of webbing similar in thickness and density with the car safety belts (but narrower). And I could wrap that one around very tight. Once the resin soaking these extra-layers of thick webbing hardens, it becomes extremely rigid and durable. It is like a sort of micarta.

BTW: the paper I have used on the sword sheath is a thick A3 one (I think it's closer to cardboard than to printable paper). The one I used for the knife sheath is ordinary printer paper.

On one of my machetes, I have a sheath made the same way, but with coton patches cut out from some old pants (instead of webbing). The patches were not even sewed together (just pasted with resin to each other). Its only downside is that it looks like a vagabond's gear. But it is just as sturdy as the ones in the above video, and I'm using it for more than 10 years now. The machete is always razor sharp (no matter how many times I pull it in and out), until I start chopping with it. 👌👍
That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the details.

Hi,

Cheers!
This is great!
I got a bunch of crazy ideas bouncing around my head right now.
Thanks for the creativity and inspiration 🤘🍺🤘

Back