Sirupate 14" - First Impressions

Hey everyone,

I purchased my first Kailash khukuri back in April, and received it last week. I had heard so much positive feedback about them and was eager to place an order. I own three khukuris from Himalayan Imports, and though I love and have used them extensively, I've always wanted a khukuri that has a more martial or weapon-like feel to it. At the same time, all of my khukuris are users, and this blade should still be able to serve as a sturdy camp knife. After going back and forth with Andrew a bit, I settled on a 14" Sirupate with a black kydex sheath, desert camo micarta handle, traditional rat-tail construction, and copper hardware.

I noted the lightness of the blade before even opening the shipping container. I opened the box to find a lovingly packed khukuri wrapped in Nepalese newspaper, tied with twine, and coated in a generous amount of oil. Despite this, there were some fine lines of rust along both sides of the blade. This is to be expected with such a long journey, and a few minutes’ work with a scotch-brite pad cleaned it right up. The result was pretty stunning:

sWMHmZD.jpg

gPBRu5l.jpg

Handling the blade, I again noticed the lightness, as well as the balance; it has just enough forward weight to want to pull the tip downward when holding it vertical as pictured. I opted for the medium-sized 4.75" handle and am happy with this choice - it fits my hand perfectly and gives me just a little room to choke up/down on the grip. The traditional rings in the middle help lock the last two fingers of my left hand in place, which, when combined with the acute point, would make for a very effective thrust.

I've never owned anything with a micarta handle before - my other knives and swords all have grips made out of traditional materials. Because of this, the micarta feels a bit foreign to me; it almost reminds me of something that was 3D printed. That said, the desert camo pattern is very cool--in photos it looks like an exotic wood grain, but in person it reminds me of snakeskin. I wanted a bold design, so I chose copper hardware - I was a bit nervous that it might look incongruous, but I think it came out great. The copper will age nicely and darken a bit, and I may or may not oil the micarta.

RgTrQA3.jpg

Andrew and Bisnu were kind enough to configure the kydex sheath for left hand draw at my request. However, after trying it out I decided to switch it to a right-handed configuration, as I prefer to draw it straight up with my left hand. I find this faster and more comfortable to sheath and unsheathe when hiking or walking around a campsite, and flipping the blade from reverse to forward grip isn't too tricky, given how nimble it is.

I couldn't help but compare the Kailash Sirupate to my HI Khukuris. I'll state again that I love the HI blades and have the upmost respect for the company and their community. You can tell from the photo that these khukuris have been with me on many adventures and have served me well:

79NaIIW.jpg

The models pictured are, from top to bottom:

Kailash Sirupate 14" blade
Angkhola Dui Chirra 18" (total length)
WWII 16.5" (total length)
Foxy Folly 12" (total length)

In terms of feel and handling, the difference between the Kailash and HI khukuris is night and day. The Kailash feels lively and nimble in the hand - it's as much a short sword or large fighting knife as it is a tool. The HI khukuris, while rugged and tough as hell, feel like khukuri-shaped hatchets, or sharp metal bars with handles. Below you can see the difference in spine thickness between the Kailash Sirupate and the HI Dui Chirra:

Ai3Kte7.jpg

They're both effective blades that are simply constructed with different philosophies. It's worth noting that the Dui Chirra and Sirupate have different spine thicknesses by design, however, all of my HI khukuris do not have much distal taper, if any. The Kailash Sirupate tapers nicely and it shows when handling the blade.

Time will tell how the Sirupate holds up to use - I haven't cut anything with it yet, but the edge is very sharp, and I have no doubt it will perform well. Overall, my first impressions are extremely positive, and I want to thank Andrew, Bisnu, and the rest of the Kailash team for their excellent craftsmanship and great service.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey there!
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review and give your impressions on so many aspects of the knife. Great photos too!

Great to hear you think the options you ended up going for are a good match- especially the handle size. An uncomfy handle can be a real dealbreaker at times!
We get a lot of comments from people wanting a wood grain-like micarta option and the desert camo is often chosen for this reason. You're right that up close it has a very different look- very finely rough and clearly layered.
Feel free to also experiment with giving it a light sanding- this can often expose a bit of fabric and provide a softer, plusher feel vs from factory.

The sirupate profile does make it hard to compare vs these HI but you're very right about the importance of taper for the way a blade feels in hand. We've found that it doesn't negatively impact chopping power as much as one might expect either- potentially why it is so prevalent on historical examples.
Our blades in general tend towards the lighter side of things but we're also taking some steps to increase blade weights and spine thicknesses for certain models- both for specific intended utilities as well as greater historical accuracy on certain models.

I've passed on your kind words to the team and look forward to an update once the blade has seen some miles :)

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Last edited:
Hi Maya_steel, that is a beautiful blade. I always thought the desert camo was much lighter in color, but for some reason, yours has much more darker tones and looks great with the copper. I wonder if they all come out that way. That Sirupate is an intriguing, even very useful design. I shied away from it since I first saw its use to be more machete like and I already had 3 machetes, plus I wanted something that could also chop well. But even though it could fill that purpose, its usefulness goes way beyond cutting brush and things that get in your way.

I can see now why many carried that style Khukuri in wartime over the other popular models. That shape may not have as awesome a scissor like cutting effect as some of the more curved blades, but nonetheless, it would do great damage. What is appealing is how much better it can thrust. They say these Khukuri are not designed for that and more for slashing, but it is hard to imagine the Sirupate not being used that way when needed. The question is though, will the hand slide up onto the blade when you try. I still have to wonder if those rings alone will keep your hand positioned snug enough. Maybe they just never considered using it that way. Has anyone ever tried it with hay bales or some soft target? I know guards throw these blades off balance, but that Sirupate seems to beg for one. How hard would it be, if right behind the rear of the cho, you let the steel come down to form a guard that ended at the bolster, similar to what you have done with the Plain Jane Bowie?

Oh yes, one more use for these Khukuri that no one mentions. Most of us love to sharpen our knives and then test them on paper. Inevitably, we have many little snips of paper on the floor around our desk. I had to laugh the first time I used my HSI to stab one of those little pieces of paper on the floor. The tip on these blades is so pointed and fine, that it picks them up with ease. No more bending over trying to find and edge on the paper to lift it up. Just stab them with your Sirupate :).

Last edited:
The colour of micarta can differ quite a bit whether it is oiled or not- this is a nicely saturated example.
Scholagladiatoria did some stabbing testing with an mk3 into steel here:
An integral blade heel guard wouldn't be hard to execute. The only things standing in the way are tradition and some stress concerns- we could sort it out though.
Aluminium guards have been discussed, however these cannot be welded to steel and would be simply pinned in place. There are also galvanic corrosion concerns. We have been doing some recent prototypes with micarta guards as another alternative.

There has been some discussion that the internal kaudi on the chitlange provides a small ramp to stop the hand sliding onto the blade. I don't agree with this though- if you ask a smith to leave out a cho on a khukuri they naturally leave a flat spot with small peak just as seen on a chitlange- implying that the geometry of that area is not planned with specific intent in mind.
An overlooked characteristic of many earlier khukuris is a swollen bolster area. Here's an image from Peter Dekker.
If we assume that the handle ring is placed between the middle and ring fingers this means that there is 2 fingers worth of grip between the handle ring and the flare. This is quite a small space and implies quite small hands. If we project that two fingers of space in front of the hand there is a lot of unused space in that grip towards the bolster. Notably this area is also very wide for such a small hand and could be perceived as "forwards flare" that helps to keep the hand in location and prevent sliding up on the blade.

In general though this doesn't seem to be an issue in terms of actual use of khukuris. Sliding up onto the edge during use is not a reported issue. While these blades certainly can stab they are not historically optimised for it (especially into hard targets as seen in the above video). Finally many blades older than 100 years show handle shapes and more intense handle rings that seemed to provide more redundancy against sliding up a blade- especially compared to more modern examples as well as the mk3 shown in that video.

Take care,

Grizzly - these were my thoughts exactly—the blade shape of the Sirupate seems optimized for stabbing compared to other khukuris. I was also not totally drawn to the Sirupate initially, but after describing what I was looking for to Andrew, he helped me to realize that the Sirupate was the best fit. I’m glad I listened to his advice, I truly cannot overstate how good this knife feels in my hand. It’s so nimble and well balanced, but still feels powerful.

I now realize that adding a hand guard would make this a real thrusting weapon, but I really like the look of the traditional bolster on khukuris.

Thanks for posting the Matt Easton video - he’s one of my favorite YouTubers and also is a huge fan of Kailash Blades!

I have a camping trip to Acadia National Park on 9/7 - I can’t wait for the chance to try this blade out in the field. I’ll post here once I have the chance to test it :)

Hey everyone,

I purchased my first Kailash khukuri back in April, and received it last week. I had heard so much positive feedback about them and was eager to place an order. I own three khukuris from Himalayan Imports, and though I love and have used them extensively, I've always wanted a khukuri that has a more martial or weapon-like feel to it. At the same time, all of my khukuris are users, and this blade should still be able to serve as a sturdy camp knife. After going back and forth with Andrew a bit, I settled on a 14" Sirupate with a black kydex sheath, desert camo micarta handle, traditional rat-tail construction, and copper hardware.

I noted the lightness of the blade before even opening the shipping container. I opened the box to find a lovingly packed khukuri wrapped in Nepalese newspaper, tied with twine, and coated in a generous amount of oil. Despite this, there were some fine lines of rust along both sides of the blade. This is to be expected with such a long journey, and a few minutes’ work with a scotch-brite pad cleaned it right up. The result was pretty stunning:

sWMHmZD.jpg

gPBRu5l.jpg

Handling the blade, I again noticed the lightness, as well as the balance; it has just enough forward weight to want to pull the tip downward when holding it vertical as pictured. I opted for the medium-sized 4.75" handle and am happy with this choice - it fits my hand perfectly and gives me just a little room to choke up/down on the grip. The traditional rings in the middle help lock the last two fingers of my left hand in place, which, when combined with the acute point, would make for a very effective thrust.

I've never owned anything with a micarta handle before - my other knives and swords all have grips made out of traditional materials. Because of this, the micarta feels a bit foreign to me; it almost reminds me of something that was 3D printed. That said, the desert camo pattern is very cool--in photos it looks like an exotic wood grain, but in person it reminds me of snakeskin. I wanted a bold design, so I chose copper hardware - I was a bit nervous that it might look incongruous, but I think it came out great. The copper will age nicely and darken a bit, and I may or may not oil the micarta.

RgTrQA3.jpg

Andrew and Bisnu were kind enough to configure the kydex sheath for left hand draw at my request. However, after trying it out I decided to switch it to a right-handed configuration, as I prefer to draw it straight up with my left hand. I find this faster and more comfortable to sheath and unsheathe when hiking or walking around a campsite, and flipping the blade from reverse to forward grip isn't too tricky, given how nimble it is.

I couldn't help but compare the Kailash Sirupate to my HI Khukuris. I'll state again that I love the HI blades and have the upmost respect for the company and their community. You can tell from the photo that these khukuris have been with me on many adventures and have served me well:

79NaIIW.jpg

In terms of feel and handling, the difference between the Kailash and HI khukuris is night and day. The Kailash feels lively and nimble in the hand - it's as much a short sword or large fighting knife as it is a tool. The HI khukuris, while rugged and tough as hell, feel like khukuri-shaped hatchets, or sharp metal bars with handles. Below you can see the difference in spine thickness between the Kailash Sirupate and the HI Dui Chirra:

Ai3Kte7.jpg

They're both effective blades that are simply constructed with different philosophies. It's worth noting that the Dui Chirra and Sirupate have different spine thicknesses by design, however, all of my HI khukuris do not have much distal taper, if any. The Kailash Sirupate tapers nicely and it shows when handling the blade.

Time will tell how the Sirupate holds up to use - I haven't cut anything with it yet, but the edge is very sharp, and I have no doubt it will perform well. Overall, my first impressions are extremely positive, and I want to thank Andrew, Bisnu, and the rest of the Kailash team for their excellent craftsmanship and great service.

Cheers!

I have the exact same knife, love it. Only I wrapped the handle a bit with rubber tape to make even more comfy.

V0EEaM9h.jpg

1V64qeth.jpg

That's a beauty, Congrats that's one model I do not have. I pretty much like everything about your new Sirupate. Is your blade oil quenched?

Yes, I believe all Kailash blades are oil quenched, but I will let Andrew confirm that

I have the exact same knife, love it. Only I wrapped the handle a bit with rubber tape to make even more comfy.

V0EEaM9h.jpg

1V64qeth.jpg

Yes, I read your first impressions post, and it helped me make the final decision to go with the sirupate. Thank you for sharing - that’s a beautiful blade, and I’m impressed with what it’s done to those branches.

I’m bringing the sirupate camping next weekend, and I intend to put it through its paces. I’ll report back with photos :)

Yes, I believe all Kailash blades are oil quenched, but I will let Andrew confirm that

Yes, I read your first impressions post, and it helped me make the final decision to go with the sirupate. Thank you for sharing - that’s a beautiful blade, and I’m impressed with what it’s done to those branches.

I’m bringing the sirupate camping next weekend, and I intend to put it through its paces. I’ll report back with photos :)
I just ordered some kevlar cut resistant gloves. Why? 7 stitches to my thumb. I was cutting with my new 11.5 HSI with the performance edge of course and was determined to cut through some overgrown vines growing along a fence and up a neighbor's garage that were about 2 or 3 feet into my mil's back yard. My machete hadn't done much to them a few weeks ago and I tried the khukuri the other day. I was at first cutting away from my other hand but when that didn't work, I stupidly tried cutting the vine the other way and it deflected down the vine towards my thumb. Luckily, it didn't go deep enough to cut tendons, but deep and long enough for 7 stitches. So today, I ordered some kevlar gloves to use in case my mind goes stupid again and also for the kids to use also. Something to think about. One slip with these big blades and it's gotcha time if you're not paying attention. I ordered some level 5 for the kitchen and or gardening for me and the daughter and level 9 for outdoors work.

Unless requested otherwise by those with a traditional lean, then all are oil quenched :)

I just ordered some kevlar cut resistant gloves. Why? 7 stitches to my thumb. I was cutting with my new 11.5 HSI with the performance edge of course and was determined to cut through some overgrown vines growing along a fence and up a neighbor's garage that were about 2 or 3 feet into my mil's back yard. My machete hadn't done much to them a few weeks ago and I tried the khukuri the other day. I was at first cutting away from my other hand but when that didn't work, I stupidly tried cutting the vine the other way and it deflected down the vine towards my thumb. Luckily, it didn't go deep enough to cut tendons, but deep and long enough for 7 stitches. So today, I ordered some kevlar gloves to use in case my mind goes stupid again and also for the kids to use also. Something to think about. One slip with these big blades and it's gotcha time if you're not paying attention. I ordered some level 5 for the kitchen and or gardening for me and the daughter and level 9 for outdoors work.
Ow! Big blades can definitely be unforgiving if you're not careful. Particularly when you're getting tired from a long day the overswings can be very dangerous.

Okay - returned from Acadia and am finally sitting down to write the follow up.

TL;DR - the Kailash Sirupate was fantastic.

It performed all of the camp duties I wanted it to - batoning firewood, whittling logs to make kindling, and clearing brush - very well. I won't say I put it through abusive testing, but I didn't hold back on any of these tasks. We got a batch of particularly sappy firewood that was very tough to baton - the Sirupate performed the best at this out of all of my khukuris, and once I wiped it clean with an oiled cloth, showed no signs of damage or wear.

I brought the Kailash with me on all of our hikes - I really appreciated the light weight of the blade and ruggedness of the kydex sheath. My other khukuris are much thicker choppers, so when clearing brush, I had to adjust my technique to focus on generating enough tip speed to make up for the relative lack of mass. Once I understood this, it proved to be just as effective, if not more so.

In all of my appreciation for the breathtaking scenery (if you have a chance to visit Acadia National Park, I *highly* recommend it), I didn't end up taking many action shots of the Sirupate (for shame!). Below is a quick picture I grabbed on the last day as we were packing up.

Needless to say, I was pleased and impressed - I can't wait for the next opportunity to use the Kailash Sirupate!

Great to hear the blade performed well! (doesn't look like that image link has worked though)
Sirupates really are very handy and versatile blades. While they may not hit the nail on the head for a particular customers' exact needs it's very rarely that they're not amongst the better options in our lineup.
Thanks for taking the time to write up a review and leave some feedback- it helps a lot.
Take care,

So true! I have learned to always stop and at least rest at the very first sign of fatigue, same with axes & hatchets.
I have to chuckle at your comment. At 76, with rheumatoid arthritis and heart disease, I'm almost always on the verge of fatigue. But still, I enjoy working with these big knives and always have. As with most things that can be dangerous, I and all of us have to be very much aware of what we are doing and how we are doing it. In this case, my focus went to a determination to cut those vines which over road my basic knowledge of always cutting away from yourself with any blade. My bad. Hopefully, those gloves will provide a bit of safety when this old geezer plays with them again.

Also, thank you Andrew for your recommendation for that 11.5 HSI. Now that I've spent more time with it, I've grown to really like how it handles. I think with just a bit of a small guard on the front of the handle, it would be about perfect. With my small exposure to these Khukuri, I imagine that both the 11.5 HSI and the Sirupate would make excellent blades for many looking for one to try. I wonder if when ordering, we would supply an outline of our hand, if that might help your smiths shape them to size in a way that would benefit the buyer.

Hey there,
Glad to hear that you're warming up to he HSI. So far our handle measurement system is working and it has the advantage of being simpler. We've recently altered how we apply these measurements for certain handle styles which are disproportionately restrictive for their lengths.

Hey everyone,

sWMHmZD.jpg

gPBRu5l.jpg

RgTrQA3.jpg

79NaIIW.jpg

Ai3Kte7.jpg

Cheers!
Hiya Maya_steel: , After reading this review of the 14" Sirupate , you may well have just made my mind up for me . At present I am awaiting my first Kailash khukuri which is a 10.5" MSI with a few personal choice changes to the model shown on site , ie a pensioner grind , rounding off the spine angle for a more gentle curve , then a normal 4.75" white rosewood handle with a slight more curvature to it with brass hardware (thin style butt cap ., Brown salyani traditional scabbard , hopefully all this will help to make it a bit leaner at the tip and lighter in the hand with a decent balance . Anyway back to your Sirupate , I am now also looking to get the 14" Sirupate with the 4.75" handle also with a few personal changes which although adds to the expense would hopefully make the type of lively blade that could be used in a light / medium bushcraft role but also as a short sword / fighting role khukuri just as you described your sirupate ! Andrew has been a great help trying to make sense of what Im after which I appreciate , but after reading your views on this particular model my mind is backtracking to maybe buying the sirupate as it is without the grind changes ( apart from rounding the spine off) as you seem to be more than satisfied with your purchase and it sounds like it has performed the tasks you have asked of it . One of the things I was concerned about was the spine thickness at the bolster being only 6.5mm on a 14" rat tail blade ( I thought maybe 8mm would be more preferable but Andrew knows what he is talking about . ? Also if I remember rightly the weight for a 14" is around 530g ?Could you tell me the weight of your sirupate ? I will be asking for a brown western leather scabbard with attachments for a Baldrick style webbing strap to fit over one shoulder and across the chest with the khukuri facing cutting edge down and at an approximate 45 degree angle for ease of unsheathing . Thanks and great looking sirupate

This is what a HSI 11.5 looks like with a rounded off spine.

There is no doubt in my mind that if I were to order a 14" Sirupate, that I would definitely have a finger guard installed. The one they used for my mini is wider and a little heavier than some you can find going back and looking at other photos on their instagram pages. The lighter narrower ones if they can get them again would save weight. On my Mini, Andrew had them increase the spine a little to improve the balance with the added guard weight. The Mini actually weight a tad more than my HSI. I still think that us westerners are too used to these finger guards to not get them installed. Of course if you want to go traditional, that's another thing. I wish I had one on the HSI also. I also wish my HSI was a little thicker and heavier. But, as Andrew says, they are lighter and faster with all the tapering they do. It chops pretty well as is, but I still wish its finished weight with performance edge was more than the 440 grams it came out as. Or, as light and fast as it is, I wish I had the finger guard to allow it to be used in more ways if needed. I'd have liked closer to 500 to 550. I guess that is why there are so many variations of these Khukuri and why people wind up buying more than one of two.

Another mod that would be nice is if the brass butt cap could be rounder rather than pointy at the top and bottom. Keep the flare but reduce those points. That is not the standard HSI butt cap on mine. I asked Andrew to change it and I think it may be the one they use for the Angkhola. I'd almost consider the wood MK1 handle, but I've never felt one. I wanted the MK1 to begin with but didn't order it. I'd still like one with the weight reduced a little.

Last edited:
This is what a HSI 11.5 looks like with a rounded off spine.

There is no doubt in my mind that if I were to order a 14" Sirupate, that I would definitely have a finger guard installed. The one they used for my mini is wider and a little heavier than some you can find going back and looking at other photos on their instagram pages. The lighter narrower ones if they can get them again would save weight. On my Mini, Andrew had them increase the spine a little to improve the balance with the added guard weight. The Mini actually weight a tad more than my HSI. I still think that us westerners are too used to these finger guards to not get them installed. Of course if you want to go traditional, that's another thing. I wish I had one on the HSI also. I also wish my HSI was a little thicker and heavier. But, as Andrew says, they are lighter and faster with all the tapering they do. It chops pretty well as is, but I still wish its finished weight with performance edge was more than the 440 grams it came out as. Or, as light and fast as it is, I wish I had the finger guard to allow it to be used in more ways if needed. I'd have liked closer to 500 to 550. I guess that is why there are so many variations of these Khukuri and why people wind up buying more than one of two.

Another mod that would be nice is if the brass butt cap could be rounder rather than pointy at the top and bottom. Keep the flare but reduce those points. That is not the standard HSI butt cap on mine. I asked Andrew to change it and I think it may be the one they use for the Angkhola. I'd almost consider the wood MK1 handle, but I've never felt one. I wanted the MK1 to begin with but didn't order it. I'd still like one with the weight reduced a little.
Hi , I take it that is leather handle made up of leather washers ? How does it feel in the chopping mode does it absorb much of the shock when striking an object ? Thinking about asking for one of these on a 14" Sirupate but with the additional brass rings but no raised centre ring as I (think) it may be easier to handle ?

Both myself and my 23 yr old grandson thought the HSI chopped and felt better in the hand than the 9" Mini. I had quite a few of those branches to process. I'm still not sure what I think about the leather washers. I can't say I felt much difference that day between the horn on the mini and the leather on the HSI. It must absorb some shock just by not being as hard as horn or wood. When I simply handle the HSI in the house, I'm a little disappointed in the leather. It just doesn't seem to be soft like I'd expected. That buff hide leather must be tough. Now when you handle the buff hide leather of the std dap, it feels soft but on the handle it feels much stiffer and hard. That may be because of how they cut and then stack the washers. The surface is not much different, ,meaning it feels hard, not much different that solid wood or the other choices. I think the problem I have with the leather is that there are no rings carved into it like the wood, horn and micarta have. So, that is why I wish it had a finger guard. I know these Khukuri are not used to stab, but they could with a finger guard, esp something like a Sirupate. Now when chopping, the hand seems to just rest on the flare at the back of the grip with no problems. So, without a finger guard and without those rings to catch and secure your fingers to the grip, my hand feels unsecure and slides around and would slide up onto the blade if ever used to stab something.

Now that is when just handling it in the house. When chopping, you exert more pressure on the grip and I didn't notice it as a problem. I'm tempted to start treating this leather like I would a baseball glove and see if it will soften up some to add some grippiness. Again, in the house, my hand just seems to slide around on that hard leather and it is not a secure feel for me. Now when chopping, the hand seems to just rest on the flare at the back of the grip.

I'll bet what bothers me about the leather is that I was once spoiled by a Cold Steel 7.5" Recon Scout with its Kraton, now KraEx grip. I always liked the feel of that softer grip. The 9" Mini was bought to fill the same purpose the RS filled, being smaller than most Khukuri and easier and lighter to use hunting or camping or just out in the woods. I think they both chop better than the RS did.

If I order another, I think I'll go with either a micarta or wood handle of the MK1.
If we ever intend to hand these down, that micarta should remain stable over the years, unlike the wood or horn which often needs to be replaced. Look at our leather washer handles on some of the Kabars and other knives that used them. When not treated and left to dry out, they fall apart also.

I've read where many seem to like their leather washer handles, but I can't say I've read yet a comparison and what their thoughts were. Maybe others will chime in or maybe you could start a thread asking about everyone's opinions who have had them on Khukuri.

Both myself and my 23 yr old grandson thought the HSI chopped and felt better in the hand than the 9" Mini. I had quite a few of those branches to process. I'm still not sure what I think about the leather washers. I can't say I felt much difference that day between the horn on the mini and the leather on the HSI. It must absorb some shock just by not being as hard as horn or wood. When I simply handle the HSI in the house, I'm a little disappointed in the leather. It just doesn't seem to be soft like I'd expected. That buff hide leather must be tough. Now when you handle the buff hide leather of the std dap, it feels soft but on the handle it feels much stiffer and hard. That may be because of how they cut and then stack the washers. The surface is not much different, ,meaning it feels hard, not much different that solid wood or the other choices. I think the problem I have with the leather is that there are no rings carved into it like the wood, horn and micarta have. So, that is why I wish it had a finger guard. I know these Khukuri are not used to stab, but they could with a finger guard, esp something like a Sirupate. Now when chopping, the hand seems to just rest on the flare at the back of the grip with no problems. So, without a finger guard and without those rings to catch and secure your fingers to the grip, my hand feels unsecure and slides around and would slide up onto the blade if ever used to stab something.

Now that is when just handling it in the house. When chopping, you exert more pressure on the grip and I didn't notice it as a problem. I'm tempted to start treating this leather like I would a baseball glove and see if it will soften up some to add some grippiness. Again, in the house, my hand just seems to slide around on that hard leather and it is not a secure feel for me. Now when chopping, the hand seems to just rest on the flare at the back of the grip.

I'll bet what bothers me about the leather is that I was once spoiled by a Cold Steel 7.5" Recon Scout with its Kraton, now KraEx grip. I always liked the feel of that softer grip. The 9" Mini was bought to fill the same purpose the RS filled, being smaller than most Khukuri and easier and lighter to use hunting or camping or just out in the woods. I think they both chop better than the RS did.

If I order another, I think I'll go with either a micarta or wood handle of the MK1.
If we ever intend to hand these down, that micarta should remain stable over the years, unlike the wood or horn which often needs to be replaced. Look at our leather washer handles on some of the Kabars and other knives that used them. When not treated and left to dry out, they fall apart also.

I've read where many seem to like their leather washer handles, but I can't say I've read yet a comparison and what their thoughts were. Maybe others will chime in or maybe you could start a thread asking about everyone's opinions who have had them on Khukuri.
Thanks for that good reply Grizzly3 . Its now making me think as to what handle I want if I order a 14" sirupate . I am a traditionalist at heart and will probably settle for a white rosewood handle which I can treat over a period of time like my other khukuri handles with Danish oil . I think this is the secret to help preserve your khukuris , knives and swords , regular care and treatment , but like a lot of other vauables / heirlooms passed down , future generations often dont care for them the same way and they deteriorate over time . With khukuris from reputable manufacturers like Kailash a khukuri should last for generations if cared for and obviously within the boundaries of how they are used . Regarding absorbing some of the shock , I thought the leather might achieve this as possibly the Micarta might ? I suppose we will have to see if other members join in this conversation and give their views . One point I would like to ask Andrew is , has he ever thought about stabilising his wood handles which at least would help to proof them from water , heat and cold conditions ? I wouldnt have a clue how easy this would be for his team to actually achieve or how expensive , any thoughts Andrew ?
As i said Im a traditionalist and really like and appreciate the styling , profiling and ergonomics of the Nepalese khukuri so Ive never eally thought about finger guards but I can see the point of them , wonder why they were never made that way although I do believe there were models made with proper handles and knuckle guards in some cases .

Back