Slipjoint Book

As my passion for slipjoints grows I find myself thirsting for knowledge - I have learnt so much by hanging out here, from people like Gus and Nifrand, to name two. I am looking for an 'identification' book - lots of juicy pics of slipjoints old and new, also with a bit of history of various patterns and makers.
Any suggestions? I have seen several books online but as I can't physically can't thumb through them I am unsure of which is best. Thanks.

Doc:find a Barnes & Noble and browse throughthe knife books.There are a bunch.

Some authors to look for are Bernard Levine, Jim Sargent, Bruce Voyles, C. Houston Price, James Parker and Roy Ritchie with Ron Stewart. Levin's Guide to Knives and Their Values is my favorite, but I refer to books by all of the above quite a bit.

If you go with the Bernard Levine guide get a copy of the fourth edition of the book. The fifth edition was published without Bernard's input and is very flawed. Mr. Levine still has copies of the 4th edition if you want one.

n2s

Another book that might be of interest to you would be Knife Album by Colonel Robert Mayes. This book has lots of pictures, a lot of them are not all that good, but this book is interesting none the less. It is like a huge catalog of old knives. The copy I have is a third printing from 1975.

Another great ref. for older knife markings (tang stamps) is Goins.
If I am not mistaken the title is Goins Encylopedia of Cutlery Markings.

"Knife World" magazine has lots of slipjoint articles (www.knifeworld.com). The 4th edition of Levines Guide, as mentioned in other posts, is very good if you can still find one. Note that Knife World also deals in knife books, both new and used. Ken Warner's "Practical Book of Knives" was a good one. I've subscribed to Knife World for many years and read it happily. Blade Magazine has (for me) gone way down hill but Knife World is just as good as ever.

Hi rep,
I agree with you on Knife World. My favorite of all of them.

I'm gona hate myself ,but checkout E-bay for knife books.
I've found some killer deals there on all kinds of knife books.
Some you can't get anywhere esle.

Tightwad pegged a great source. I have also gotten a few good deals via the Amazon out of print service. I have had to wait, but all but one request came back at a reasonable price. (The Antique Bowie knife book came back a "little steep".

The new price guides are good to have, but when you couple them with the old ones they have more to offer combined. Many of the old ones can be had for a song, if you take the time to look around a little.

Back