So, David....

.....what can we expect to see from OE/ET for '02? I'm unable to make SHOT so please tell me here :)

To: Dexter

Wishing you a Happy New Year and sorry to hear you can't make it to the Shot Show. Now that it's officially 2002 it's time to unveil our new items for the year. We are now finalizing our 2002 catalog which lists all our new items and will have this available in the next two weeks. If any one is interested to receive our new 2002 catalog drop us an e-mail with your mailing address.

Our focus for 2002 is on the Hunting/Outdoor market and we have serveral exciting new products for the outdoorsman.

GAME PROCESSOR
The Game Processor is the most complete butchering set for the big game hunter, wing shooter and angler. This set also doubles as an ideal set of cutting tools for camping and outdoor cooking. The 12 piece Game Processor includes a 3” Caping knife, 4-1/4” Skinner, 5-1/2” Boning-Fillet knife, 8” Butcher knife, Smith’s Tungsten Carbide V-Sharpener, Carving Fork, 10” Wood-Bone Saw, Ribcage Spreader, Game Shears, Cutting Board and a 6-pack of Game Cleaning Gloves. This portable set stores in a durable plastic hard-side carry case with individual slots to hold each piece. Each knife is hand ground shaving sharp from 420 stainless steel with textured Kraton handles for a secure non-slip grip. MSRP: $79.99

TROPHY-SKINNER
The Trophy-Skinner is the perfect size knife for field dressing Whitetail deer. The Trophy Skinner is a scaled down version of our award winning Kodi-Skinner with a 3-1/2 AUS-8A stainless steel blade and rubberized Kraton handle. The cutting hook on top of the blade opens game like a zipper. The Trophy Skinner comes complete with a full-grain leather belt sheath. MSRP: $58.99

TROPHY-PAK
The Trophy-Pak is the ultimate knife-saw combo for Whitetail deer. This set combines the 3-1/2 Trophy Skinner with the 6” Kodi-Saw on a compact leather belt sheath. $86.99

WHITETAIL-PAK
The Whitetail-Pak combines our best selling Whitetail Skinner with the 6" Kodi-Saw on a compact full grain leather belt sheath. MSRP: $82.99

GAME SHEARS
Our heavy duty Game Shears make easy work of field dressing ducks, geese, turkey, pheasant, small game and fish. The Game Shears feature full-tang 420 stainless steel construction, durable Bakelite handles, spring-action, serrated cutting edge and special bone breaking notch. The Game Shears comes complete with a full grain leather belt sheath. MSRP: $19.80

STEEL STICK
A must have item for every big game hunter, the Steel Stick is a pivoting steel bar to spread open the brisket for field dressing. Spreading the brisket allows easy access to the abdomen for removing viscera and enables quicker cooling of fresh game meat. The Steel Stick comes complete with a nylon belt sheath. MSRP: $9.80

Thanks you for your attention and we look forward to any of your comments our new products.

Hi David - thanks and Happy New Year! Thanks for the update, sounds like you guys have been quite busy as of late. Looking forward to seeing you and the new products at Blade later this year.

Was at the Gunshow last week, mostly looking for paragees to give as gifts this year. No one carried any Outdoor Edge at all.

There was a load of CRKT stuff there. I think OE is much more bang for the buck than CRKT and recommend OE whenever I can. So any explanation for the failure to penetrate the market?

I try to buy your products but it's hard to. Sure, there is on-line, and that's where I've got what I have so far.

Keep trying.

Phil

Originally posted by phatch
I think OE is much more bang for the buck than CRKT and recommend OE whenever I can. So any explanation for the failure to penetrate the market?

Phil

Im also recommend OE whenever I can. Talk about value! :eek:

As far as an explanation... For one there is a glut in the tactical folder market. One would think that OE would do well even in a saturated market. The bang for the buck factor is large with OE.

The biggest difference is that Columbia River has done an excellent job of market penetration. They really promote their product well.

I would love to see OE continue to bring us those awesome folder designs. As much as I hate to say it, it does make good business since for OE to find a niche and it looks like they have chosen the hunting/outdoor market.

As a true knife lover, designer and businessman there is nothing I would have enjoyed more than to continue developing our Edge-Tech line of folders. I really put my heart and soul as well as considerable financial investment into the Field-Lite, Impulse, Magna and Paragee line however the market response was only limited. I fully agree that even in a flooded market our products should have sold well but this was not the case. Initially our dealers and distributors bought these models but the response and sell through from the consumer level was disappointing at best. There are a number of BF members and specifically those that have posted in this forum that have acknowledged the innovative designs, quality and value of our knives. Unfortunately this was not the case for the market as a whole. I did have several new products for this market in development as well as good feedback from forum members on what people wanted to see in the future. None the less I had to make the clear choice to focus on our core market of hunting and outdoor knives. This does not mean we won't be developing any folders but for now we are going to stick with what we do best. Again thank you for all the support and positive feedback.

Dang!

I just found the Paragee a couple weeks ago at (gasp!) the Remmington store and I love it! What a great knife for the cost, and compared to my other lower-cost production folders, it really is top-notch. Now if I could just stop thinking about a Ralph custom... ;)

Well, good luck with your next try in the market. I'm sure if you keep the quality as it is in the Paragee you'll eventually find a solid customer base.

-Al-

David,

Not that my opinion really matters, but I totally support and understand your decision. It is a very sound business decision. The longevity and success of your company must be a priority.

It is just sad that more people didn't realize what they are missing out on.

Back