SOG Altair FX: Good knife poor sheath

I was really looking forward to getting this since it weighs in at 2.6 oz with decent steel (CPM 154) and integrating it into my hiking/backpacking system. I think this knife and it's folder peer is meant to be a BM Bugout killer. Long story short, the knife was high quality but the mounting system on the sheath made mounting it difficult and insecure. Would love to try an aftermarket kydex sheath with this.

I ended up mounting it into a chest rig where it just disappears until needed. At $150 MSRP, I wouldn't buy this again but with an updated sheath and a lower price point (~$100) I would.

Nice looking knife for sure. Sorry the sheath did not fit your liking. Hoping the Kydex sheath on the new Trident FX is as good as it sounds. Hopefully be getting this one in Feb. Wanting a defense/tactical fixed for a EDC. The latest Sogs look pretty quality lately.

Nice looking knife for sure. Sorry the sheath did not fit your liking. Hoping the Kydex sheath on the new Trident FX is as good as it sounds. Hopefully be getting this one in Feb. Wanting a defense/tactical fixed for a EDC. The latest Sogs look pretty quality lately.
Agreed, I think Sog got bought they are upping their game and aiming for more diverse markets. It is frustrating to see their other products with cool sheaths but some of those are also overly complicated. It seems like a basic kydex or polymer sheath with standard attachment points would be a better formula. I don’t even think there is a production cost savings for them. KISS

Nice looking knife that Altair FX. What appeals to me about Sog lately is the grip ergonomics and shape which contours to the hand. My Trident AT-XR offers plenty of real estate for grip. Now onto a fixed for EDC. That Altair sure looks sturdy and blade length is about right.

Back