SOG super bowie handle mod

deltablade

Gold Member
I have had this knife for awhile, yet the handle always felt clunky to me, too big for my hand, so the knife just didnt feel right. While I hated to alter such an iconic knife, I figured I might as well try to make it more suitable for me. Well, wahlah!! It worked . I removed .1" from each side of the front of the handle just back of the guard in a slight concave pattern and smoothed into rear of handle;
then reshaped the finger grip just behind the guard by removing the shoulder next to the guard and hence making the finger grip flow more smoothly into the guard;
then removing just a touch of leather along the bottom edges of the handle to make it less blocky and slightly more oval in profile.
The knife feels so much better now.
I then treated the rough leather and the entire handle with Obanauf's Heavy Duty LP and soaked it in with a hair dryer, then added a couple coats Obanauf's leather oil, then let it dry, and finished with leather cream and a polishing cloth.

Boque mo betah

8GVqRnL.jpg

aWpF5hy.jpg

here is a "before" photo of the handle before modifications which shows the shoulder between the first finger grip and the guard. It feels so much better now after removing the shoulder and making this finger grip a smooth arc all the way to the guard. The SOG Tech bowie is configured this way from the factory

XXlhlS6.jpg

Last edited:
Now I see the dif. Great idea. Don't know if I will do, but I will see later today. Thanks.

I have the Bowie and the Super Bowie, feel the same way about the supers handle being waaaay to big. Would love to see the supers blade mated to the regular bowies handle size.

I have had this knife for awhile, yet the handle always felt clunky to me, too big for my hand, so the knife just didnt feel right. While I hated to alter such an iconic knife, I figured I might as well try to make it more suitable for me. Well, wahlah!! It worked . I removed .1" from each side of the front of the handle just back of the guard in a slight concave pattern and smoothed into rear of handle;
then reshaped the finger grip just behind the guard by removing the shoulder next to the guard and hence making the finger grip flow more smoothly into the guard;
then removing just a touch of leather along the bottom edges of the handle to make it less blocky and slightly more oval in profile.
The knife feels so much better now.
I then treated the rough leather and the entire handle with Obanauf's Heavy Duty LP and soaked it in with a hair dryer, then added a couple coats Obanauf's leather oil, then let it dry, and finished with leather cream and a polishing cloth.

Boque mo betah

8GVqRnL.jpg

aWpF5hy.jpg

here is a "before" photo of the handle before modifications which shows the shoulder between the first finger grip and the guard. It feels so much better now after removing the shoulder and making this finger grip a smooth arc all the way to the guard. The SOG Tech bowie is configured this way from the factory

XXlhlS6.jpg
How you proceeded in order to not erase the Ti finish on the guard and buttcap ?
You dissasembled the knife and extracted the stacked leather handle to work on it securely ?

How you proceeded in order to not erase the Ti finish on the guard and buttcap ?
You dissasembled the knife and extracted the stacked leather handle to work on it securely ?
I just dremel and sand paper to widen finger grove with handle intact, did not disassemble

If you do, let me know how u like it.
I like that very much man!
QUESTION : Its the first time i see a SOG Super Bowie engraved markings on the OTHER side of the blade.
I never seen that on the entire net...
where did you get it ?
Did you still have it ?
How it hold up after theses years ?

Back