some projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, jess JUST started the program. 18 months, shortened semester breaks, no vacations. 2 days a week in full time class, 2.5 days a week in clinicals.

Ah memories....:rolleyes::barf::D

hehe, seriously christof, she will be done before you know it. It really does fly by. It is hard though, for her, and you. Lots of long hours, and time alone for you. Its all worth it in the end....

Ah memories....:rolleyes::barf::D

hehe, seriously christof, she will be done before you know it. It really does fly by. It is hard though, for her, and you. Lots of long hours, and time alone for you. Its all worth it in the end....

You can lose your job, but you can't lose your education. Even though it is a lot of work, getting her credentials is a great thing, especially in these days of economic uncertainty. I hope she does well. I used to teach human physiology to 2nd year nurses through the Dept. Biology. I was known as a tough ass :D

However, one nurse I taught and was working did tell me that she took a lot from my class and she indicated that having some mechanistic understanding of the body systems really helped her make sense of different therapeutic approaches. Still after telling me that, she wasn't very gentle in sticking me with the vaccine needle as I recall :eek:

Well, Jess will be fine, it's just a lot of work! She regularly gets asked why she's not in medical school, and destroys the curve in half of her classes.

Here's some of my projects in progress (not all of them)

project-1.jpg

The top two are MINE!! ALL MINE!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA! I love them Christof and can't wait to get some pics posted up.

The necker on the top looks very useful. Could serve as a bird and trout. Looks like a great knife for sitting around and whittling.
Nothing in particular, just making wood chips and chewin' the fat. Stick required, beer optional but recommended.

I'm working on some more, that's the pattern 2 necker design. I think I may just call it the 'whittlin man' after a particular song....

I'm still varying the handle a bit on the in progress ones. I think the slight indent up front is a good idea, and it feels good, but I'm waiting for feedback :D

I'm working on some more, that's the pattern 2 necker design. I think I may just call it the 'whittlin man' after a particular song....

I'm still varying the handle a bit on the in progress ones. I think the slight indent up front is a good idea, and it feels good, but I'm waiting for feedback :D

Feedback coming soon! The indent does feels good and is a good idea!

More photos!

01182009-1.jpg

On top is a Spanish Dirk style fighter. Might be a bit big as a deer finishing knife for archery hunting, but make a nice boar knife. Also a... well, a fighter :) Blade is 14 inches, OAL is 20.5 and it's 8670M steel, which is WAY underrated. Really nice in a large blade like this. Not a light american style fighter, but not ridiculous- a bit under 1.5 pounds overall.

Argentine lignum vitae handle, stainless pins. I have a few scratches to sand out on the blade where I was dumb finishing the handle, and a bit of polish on the handle, spine and tang. Sierra is going to have fun with the sheath and then she's up for sale - not an order! Depending on the sheath and final finish happiness level I'll probably be going $300 to $350 on this.

Next down is Bearthedog's next knife, an ultralight hiker, currently at 220 grit, I'm going to finish it out to 600 today, start buffing and get scales on tomorrow, I hope.

Next a fat pinned ipe handles small leuku pattern bushcrafter, an order that's pretty local. That one is just on final handle polish, bluing, and sheathwork.

Then next on the right are two small knives, a purpleheart necker that I dunno what I'm doign with yet (not an order, but not perfect pin placement, either), and a thinned out bird and trout with San Diego Zoo grown black acacia wood for the handle. Another non-order, probably go up for sale once the sheath is done and I'm finished with the tang polish and handle buffing. That one is sweet and I like it a lot. The convex is thinnnnn and acute, taper grind goes halfway or more up the blade.

Over on the bottom left is my prettiest knife yet for pure finish quality. Another non order, I've been messing with this off and on since November. Soft mirror on the blade, shiny black walnut scales. Sierra will be doing a flap type sheath for that with some tooling on it. I'm excited about this. All it needs is final edge stropping and etching.

And here is a drop point PSK knife with a pouch sheath, putting that one up for sale soon, it's actually done, but what the hell-

01182009-2.jpg

more photos:

01182009-3.jpg

01182009-4.jpg

And here's some coming through heat treating now, done with quenching, initial temper, vinegar soak and second temper. (I do 2 hours first time and 1.5 hours second, then the spine draw for differential)

01182009-11.jpg

Top down:

slim fighter with partial double edge on top, that's an order. So is the sgian dubh below it.

Third and fourth are some EDC spearpoints, one may be spoken for. All those 4 will be polished up well.

5,6, and 7 are a skinner and two leuku pattern bushcrafters, the bottom one has a few off centered epoxy holes, the pin holes will all line up :D

Those are lookin' great Christof!

That Spanish dirk is something else. And the finish on the clip point is really nice. Really they are all looking fantastic. Especially like the Sgian Dubh.

those skinny scandi neckers look awsome, especially the strait spine ones. if you were using that spanish dirk as a deer finishing knofe in bowhunting, you might as well not bring your bow, and just kill the deer with that dirk :D

wow, very very nice. I was about to comment that I really liked that naked one with no scales, but decided to read the post first. Figures it would be for Reuben! I REALLY like that black acacia, how did you come across some of that which was grown at the SD Zoo? I was just there not that long ago. It is a beautiful wood.

Haha! So you want a light hiker, too :D In acacia!

My father in law is a horticulturalist there, has been working with the collection for something like 30 years and has some wood floating around. Pretty cool stuff

Man o man those are nice. That dirk is badass. I cant wait to get mine!!

I love that PSK too. Very cool.

Awesome as usual dude.

Yah- I have 3 projects I just keep not photographing- the wharncliffe, a seax with a bone handle, and a larger hunter utility. Mostly because they aren't pretty yet :) The wharnie is actually why the clip point is getting all buffed out for practice

Seax with bone handle sounds interesting. What kind of bone? Stabilized?

How, if at all, does a Seax differ from a Scramsax? Is it just a language issue? Or were they different knives with different purposes? Great words though, just like saying 'seax.'

Seax with bone handle sounds interesting. What kind of bone? Stabilized?

How, if at all, does a Seax differ from a Scramsax? Is it just a language issue? Or were they different knives with different purposes? Great words though, just like saying 'seax.'

as far as i know, they are synonyms for a knife carried in northern europe, mostly used by the saxons, hence the name. vikings also used them for some period of time, i think.

Well, seax means "knife", more or less. The classic 5th-11th century seax throughout northern and northwestern europe (or basically, wherever those two ravens flew) is what we'd call a wharncliffe, extrem drop point, even sometimes a spearpoint style blade. Etymilogically, scramasax means "food knife", but is generally synonymous with seax for 'shorter' blades. The longer broad and langseax categories wouldn't generally be called scramasaxi.

The 'modern seax' model I do, with the sloping spine dropped point style, isn't far off from traditional, but I do a full tange with a dropping handle instead of a straight stick tang.

In fact, the biggest problem I have with wharncliffes over about 2.5 inches in blade is that I often end up with creeping 'seaxitis'

The larger seaxen, incidentally, were very much sidearms. Fun stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back