Stainless 3V

Can anyone tell me about Stainless 3V ??? Is it going to be as good as the old 3V just stainless? and when it's going to be available ??? I'm looking to have a hard using folder made and i would imagine that this would be the ultimate steel to use !!!

Thank You In Advance, Mario C.

Bronco

Hi Mario,
I don't believe stainless 3V is available to the general public just yet, but many of our prominent makers such as Jerry Hossom, Tom Mayo, Darrel Ralph and others, are all eagerly awaiting its release. Unfortunately nobody will really know just how good this new steel is until the aforementioned gents have had an opportunity to really put the stuff through its paces (and folks like Paul Bos have had an opportunity to perfect the heat treat regimen), but if what the people at Crucible say is to be believed, then stainless 3V should retain a good deal of 3V's incredible toughness and obviously show increased corrosion resistance advantages. I don't think it's fair to expect that stainless 3V will be just as tough as 3V, but who knows. It should be interesting.
smile.gif

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the stainless version of 3V to be as tough as 3V. However it should be stronger and more wear resistant. Has CPM said anything about the toughness at all? I assume it has to be tougher than CPM-420V (S90V)?

-Cliff

Jerry Hossom would be the guy to contact about this stuff... Scott the engineer at Crucible told me he will be getting some of the first batch.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

It is my understanding that the target specifications for the Stainless 3V, to be called S30V, are "tougher than A2 and more wear resistant than D2". That along with being stainless should make it a pretty appealing steel for most any application.

Last I heard, May is to be the introduction month. After some testing, I'll be glad to offer my thoughts on how it performs.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The New Tom & Jerry Show

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GaKnife:
It is my understanding that the target specifications for the Stainless 3V, to be called S30V, are "tougher than A2 and more wear resistant than D2". That along with being stainless should make it a pretty appealing steel for most any application.
</font>

If Crucible does indeed succeed in devising a steel that is tougher than A2 and more wear resistant than D2, and is at or beyond D2 in corrosion resistance, this stuff will become perhaps the best balanced material for the widest range of knife uses around. It could be noticeably better than BG-42 all around.

In today's marketplace, you usually get 2 or 3 of the 4 traits you want:

Really tough & very good but not super edge holding without being stainless (3V, 52100, Vascowear).

Stainless and great edge holding with a tendency for some brittleness at high Rockwell numbers and not particularly tough(440V for sure, and 420V).

Stainless and semi-tough but with mediocre edge holding (420, 440A).

Super stainless & great edge retention but won't hold a razor edge for very long, and not exactly prybar tough, and super pricey (Stellite/Talonite).

S30V: Toughness of A2, edge retention of D2, and corrosion resistance. Now for the price...?

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 04-19-2001).]

That sounds like a decent combination to me as well, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

-Cliff

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cliff Stamp:
That sounds like a decent combination to me as well, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

-Cliff
</font>

what can one say but agree with the mighty Cliff...

you guys have already got it made into knives and it hasnt been produced yet... it may end up being the best steel around, but if it takes forever to grind and makes the knifemaker go crazy getting the scratches out.. well there might not be many people using it......i for one will NOT use vascowear ever again11
smile.gif

Tom,

Ah Vasco Wear! Fond memories. . . I polished a blade I made out of Vasco Wear once. . . . it was the best two years of my life.
smile.gif

Jerry Busse

Back