Starter Leatherworking Tools

I started making knives a few months ago, and would like to make my own leather sheaths for them. I’m wondering what the minimum necessary tools are to get started making sheaths for fixed blades. I’ve been looking at the beginners leathercrafting toolkit from Weaver Leather Supply, but I’m not sure if that’s a good option. I’ve noticed that Weaver Leather Supply has very expensive tools compared to amazon stuff (though I do understand that the amazon tools are lower quality), but I’m wondering if there are decent leatherworking tools on amazon to be had for far less than those on weaver leather supply.
Thanks

I started making knives a few months ago, and would like to make my own leather sheaths for them. I’m wondering what the minimum necessary tools are to get started making sheaths for fixed blades. I’ve been looking at the beginners leathercrafting toolkit from Weaver Leather Supply, but I’m not sure if that’s a good option. I’ve noticed that Weaver Leather Supply has very expensive tools compared to amazon stuff (though I do understand that the amazon tools are lower quality), but I’m wondering if there are decent leatherworking tools on amazon to be had for far less than those on weaver leather supply.
Thanks

Leather working is kinda funny in that regards. Its one of the few things I can think of where the cheapies work better than the expensive tools......., sometimes. Most of the time the good ones do work better than the cheapies. So there are exceptions to that rule. Two that I can think of are stitching groovers and creasers. Day in and day out we use cheap Tandy stitching groovers. Why? Cause they work. We've got 4 or 5 of em between me and the wife and I and we just leave em set at the sizes we commonly use. They were like $15 each when we bought them. We have several very expensive stitching groovers. Each costing way more than that beginners kit from Weaver. My wife, Nichole, occasionally uses one of hers for some specific thing. I don't ever use those that I have. Actually kinda dislike em, a lot. The other tool I use on a daily basis that for me the cheapie Tandy tool works better than the good ones, an adjustable creaser. I don't adjust it. I've got it set where I use it. I have several other good creasers. But I use this one. Why cause it works.

Hope that helps some.

There is lots of great and very knowledgeable advice here free for the taking. I've found that if you ask specific questions you'll get better more informative answers. Such as. Instead of asking: "How do I make a sheath?" Ask: "I want to make a sheath for a knife 8"s in overall length, whats a good weight of leather to use?" Or, "My last sheath the stitching towards the bottom really wandered around some, its not very straight. How can I get this better?" Those kinds of questions helps us to help you better.

Another suggestion I would have is to look at a lot of good work. Try to see what separates good work from not so good. There's some good stuff on You Tube and the internet. There's also a lot of what not to do.

When ya ask questions feel free to either start a new thread or post in Whacha Got Going On. Welcome to Blade Forums and Sheaths and Such

Leather working is kinda funny in that regards. Its one of the few things I can think of where the cheapies work better than the expensive tools......., sometimes. Most of the time the good ones do work better than the cheapies. So there are exceptions to that rule. Two that I can think of are stitching groovers and creasers. Day in and day out we use cheap Tandy stitching groovers. Why? Cause they work. We've got 4 or 5 of em between me and the wife and I and we just leave em set at the sizes we commonly use. They were like $15 each when we bought them. We have several very expensive stitching groovers. Each costing way more than that beginners kit from Weaver. My wife, Nichole, occasionally uses one of hers for some specific thing. I don't ever use those that I have. Actually kinda dislike em, a lot. The other tool I use on a daily basis that for me the cheapie Tandy tool works better than the good ones, an adjustable creaser. I don't adjust it. I've got it set where I use it. I have several other good creasers. But I use this one. Why cause it works.

Hope that helps some.

There is lots of great and very knowledgeable advice here free for the taking. I've found that if you ask specific questions you'll get better more informative answers. Such as. Instead of asking: "How do I make a sheath?" Ask: "I want to make a sheath for a knife 8"s in overall length, whats a good weight of leather to use?" Or, "My last sheath the stitching towards the bottom really wandered around some, its not very straight. How can I get this better?" Those kinds of questions helps us to help you better.

Another suggestion I would have is to look at a lot of good work. Try to see what separates good work from not so good. There's some good stuff on You Tube and the internet. There's also a lot of what not to do.

When ya ask questions feel free to either start a new thread or post in Whacha Got Going On. Welcome to Blade Forums and Sheaths and Such
Preciate it, that helps a bunch.

I’m new to the Forum myself, but have been leather working for almost 30 years. My best advice to get started in leather working would be to seek out a local supply house like a Tandy Leather or a saddle maker. They can show you basic tools and how to use them. If you have a Tandy Leather store near you, they will most likely have classes, will sell everything you need either in kit form or piece at a time. They may also have a referral list of local leather craftsmen who can show you and advise how to master basic to advanced techniques.

Leatherwork runs a gamut from very basic to advanced to the point of art form. Think of it like learning to draw. You can express a face from a simple smiley face to the Mona Lisa.

I have taught my children and Scout Troops basics and I have created some decent pieces one could regard as the work of Elves from Lord of the Rings. Everyone is a beginner at one time.

I would suggest ordering a catalog from Tandy. Besides offering tools, they provide patterns and instructionals within their pages. You can also purchase patterns, kits and tools for all levels of expertise from Novice to Master. Start with a simple project, like a simple pancake knife sheath. Unless you want to do design work and tooling right off the batt, focus on tools that punch holes for hand stitching, installing snaps and rivets, cutting, thinning and gluing.

Use sources like YouTube, Pinterest, and different online forums. It can be an inexpensive way to create basic goods like sheaths, bags, pouches, belts, etc. It can also become a profit generating hobby. What you put into it will determine what you get out of it.

Before you start your project, decide what you want the project to do. I like Pinterest for ideas. For example I have a knife I want a sheath for. It mine came with one, what do I like about it, what would I change? What other features would I like? Do I want it to just hang on my belt on my side? Right or left handed? Do I also want it to look western style, tactical, both? Write down your favorite features, take that list with you when you go to Tandy. Pics on your phone are even better.

Last advice, don’t waste leather or fixtures just practicing, practice with a goal like a finished sheath. You can always remake it if it doesn’t suit your needs, but you will learn from each project to do better the next.

Most importantly, don’t get discouraged. Rome wasn’t built in a single day!

Back