Suggestions for a sharpener?

TCW

Hi,
I'd like to get a sharpening stone of some sort. I'm new to sharpening, and it would be for a few folders that I own - 2 have 50/50 serrations and 2 are plain blades. Shopuld a get a stone or a gadget that you run your knife through. For the serrated edges should I get one of those rods that narrows and comes to a point?

Thanks!
TCW:)

This gets asked alot. The search function will give you many hours of reading on the topic.

That said, I think you'll find that the Spyderco Sharpmaker 204 is widely praised around here. It'll sharpen just about anything you have in home or shop and is relatively easy to use.

BTW, Welcome aboard!

Hi TCW. This is my first post, but on a subject I have some experience with. You should definitely get a stone and practice the basics of sharpening. There are several resources available here at BladeForums and elsewhere to help you. After that, you can't go wrong with a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204. I have used a clamp-on system like the Gatco and Lansky and got good results. They seem to me though to be somewhat time consuming. (can you spent too much time sharpening?):) I now use the Sharpmaker almost exclusively. The only drawback might be that the sharpening angles are pre-set with just two choices. The Spyderco is very easy to set up and use. I would call it fun to use. It will put a great edge on everything you own, including the serrations. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.
I'm sure others will chime in with more definitive info.
I have to tell the rest of you that I'm stoked to be part of this forum that I've enjoyed reading over the last year.

Mike

I prefer bench stones. I can sharpen pretty much any tool no matter how big or small with the different stones I've accumulated over time.

A good starter set is the tri-hone from www.woodcraft.com . They have two different models, I have the cheap one with the wooden base. The stones may need to be dressed ( smoothed/flattened) lightly with some fine grit sandpaper when you get them, but they're good stones. Especially for the price. The coarse stone is way too coarse for most sharpening, but will come in handy once in awhile.
With just that , you can get a shaving sharp edge. But if you want super sharp, I would also get a ceramic stone to finish off the edge with, and possibly a strop. It depends on what kind of edge you want. I have alot of carving tools along with my EDC/work knives so I want a really well polished edge.
For the serrations, theres a few things you can do. The best I've found is a cheap diamond file. Its half round, has a flat side and a fish hook groove. Costs about $10 and works good for serrations. YOu can also get a gouge slip if you want to do the serrations with an oil stone. The trouble is that most of them are tapered, and will only fit the serrations well in one spot. so that part of the stone will wear more quickly and sharpening will take awhile.

Hope that helps.

Back