Swamp Rat Proudly Introduces The Free Rein Wakizashi . . .September 21, 2022 At 9:00 PM Eastern

Any idea when some demonstration videos will be up? I'm dying to see this thing in action. I ordered the stonewash and man oh man am i excited. This is my first sword and my first swamprat. I have a 14 inch kukuri from nepal its almost a sword but not quite lol.

The Bossman gave me Free Rein to run Swamp Rat as I see fit, and I see fit to pass the Free Rein on to you!

The Free Rein In SR-3V is Coming Wednesday, September 21, 2022 @ 9:00 PM Eastern on all 3 Busse Kin Websites!

The Free Rein is the newest Lab Rat to be released from its cage. Featuring an approx. 16" long, SR-3V blade that is .210” thick, with a flat saber bevel.

This one-of-a-kind sword will also feature a full-length, double-rounded spine with a deep fuller for strength and weight reduction.

With the industry-leading Resiprene C handle, you can rest assured that your grip is secure and that you are holding the most shock-resistant, and least vibration transference grip on the planet.

The precision weapon-grade edge is designed to be the ultimate slasher, and our warranty gives you peace of mind that whatever you decide to slash, your blade is covered!

Our production capabilities allow us to offer you this amazing sword at a much lower price than you would expect to pay for a sword of this quality.

I can't tell you how excited we are to bring this to the market at such an important time in the revival of Swamp Rat!

With the introduction of SR-3V at 60-62 Rc, the Free Rein will definitely earn its place as one of the highest-performance and toughest swords available on the market today.

Free Rein Specs:

Overall Length: Approx. 23.25”
Blade Steel: SR-3V
Hardness: 60-62 Rc
Blade Length: Approx. 16”
Blade Thickness: Approx. .210”
Bevel: Flat Saber
Blade Finish: Swamp Comp*, Stonewashed*, and Coated
Handle: Resiprene C
*(Light machining marks may be visible on Swamp Comp and Stonewashed Finishes)

Free Rein Pricing:

Coated: $698.95
(Black, Sage, Muddy Brown, Hammered Silver, Forest Green, Midnight Blue, and Desert Bronze)
Stonewashed: $728.95
Swamp Comp: $748.95

The two options for payment are:
Option 1) $250.00 down payment with the balance due upon completion

Option 2) Pre-pay in full

There is no limit on the number that can be ordered!

Only The Toughest Can Survive The Swamp!

VooDoo

VMC Commander

What is the estimated timeframe for these to start shipping?

Very curious to see how Busse does its first 3v!!! 😎

A bit hefty on the price of admission though, and fwiw, I wasn't too thrilled with the payment model and the whole "buy based on computer renderings" thing. Hope that's not a sign of things to come here in the Swamp! 😬

Last edited:
The machines have been looking like snow globes filled with SR-3V chips!

How much harder is this 3V steel on your tooling compared to SR-101 or Infi? I would guess 3V would give you guys fits to machine but have no idea how you guys process these steels, just thinking about which one would suck most to grind as a sharpener. I'm already not fond of working on Infi and SR-101 on my Aluminum Oxide Tormek wheel, I may be upgrading to the Silicon Carbide wheel soon to keep the stone from getting glazed so rapidly.

How much harder is this 3V steel on your tooling compared to SR-101 or Infi? I would guess 3V would give you guys fits to machine but have no idea how you guys process these steels, just thinking about which one would suck most to grind as a sharpener. I'm already not fond of working on Infi and SR-101 on my Aluminum Oxide Tormek wheel, I may be upgrading to the Silicon Carbide wheel soon to keep the stone from getting glazed so rapidly.
cutting 3v is hard on tooling I'd guess.

I have been told that the carbide tooling basically years the steel rather than cuts if that makes sense.

I'm not vudu tho

A lot has gone into testing different coatings on carbide for our purposes.
That being said, the best I can tell you is that while machining SR-3V it acts like a stainless steel when you don't want it to, and yet it also doesn't act like a stainless steel when you do.
Though machinability of SR-3V is an entirely different animal, modern tooling alongside modern toolpaths can make it very impressive to work with.
I believe the new processes and steels coming out of the swamp are crazy awesome, you Rats have only seen the tip of the iceberg!

That being said, the best I can tell you is that while machining SR-3V it acts like a stainless steel when you don't want it to, and yet it also doesn't act like a stainless steel when you do.
Though machinability of SR-3V is an entirely different animal, modern tooling alongside modern toolpaths can make it very impressive to work with.
I believe the new processes and steels coming out of the swamp are crazy awesome, you Rats have only seen the tip of the iceberg!

So can we get an update on Magnacut? Maybe an estimate on when the first knives will be out with it?

Once there is demonstration vids of the free rein in action, how will we know where to watch the vids? Youtube? Rumble? Vidme?

Anyone know how many weeks in we are? Assuming the wait is 14 weeks?
I was wondering the same thing. Do I need to expect the rest of this to hit my bank account before Christmas or not?
If so that's horrible timing (present buying and all) but I can swing it if I have to.

Back