Tactical Pen to fly or not to fly

I copied the stuff below from the TSA website. They provide no definition of what a tac pen really is. The "final decision" wording indicates that it depends on which officer frisks you. Has anyone put this to the test, or is it simply not worth the trouble?

Tactical Pen​

Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: Yes
For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Do not carry anything advertised as a tactical pen. They have updated lists and pics at TSA.

If you want to carry it on, carry something that doesn't look tactikewl. The first pen I had to "surrender" was Christmas Eve flying out of Kuwait (and it wasn't even a "tactical pen", THAT was in my attache case with the laptop). The next one was a tacpen. At that point I put the Lightfoot away and carried a flashlight pen and a 701.

Get an all steel X701 Zebra and a fat 38201 Sharpie to fly "under the radar". Something more expensive desired...a Fisher Clutch

Last edited:
I flew with a Zebra 701 with no problems, it's about as close to a "tac" pen as one can get with it still being a "real" pen. I also flew with an Olight M2T Warrior flashlight (1200 lumens) with a slightly crenulated bezel. I figured it's as close to a defensive EDC kit you could get while being under the radar.

Some of the limitations on what you can carry are bonkers. Now that everyone knows the rules nobody is going to hijack a airplane with a boxcutter or tactical pen unless it's a charter flight of nuns. The people on board just through shear numbers will no longer allow that.

My brother in law has always said that knives should be allowed on airplanes, even mandatory. When you check in at the gate they should ask if you have a knife and if you don't they should pull one out of a box and hand it to you, you can give it back when you land. Somebody pulls out a box cutter to hijack an airplane and the other passengers just laugh at them.

Back