Taggedout...thoughts?

Handled one at BLADE and liked how it felt in hand, along with the thin slicey blade. I'm OK with the blade steel, but then I grew up using 1095, and can recall 440C being the fancy stainless. Not real big on the scales - both the color and how they flex.

Soon as I start seeing some aftermarket scales in Micarta or G10 start popping up I'll probably get one.

The blade shape looks really useful and the ergos look pretty good to me. I'm not a huge fan of the opening "slot." It looks ok I guess, and yes, sure, it will work.. typically though, I find non-circular thumbhole openers to be more cumbersome than their round counterparts, or even thumbstuds. idk.. in my head, I look at this knife and immediately see one that was not designed as efficiently as it could have been.. I think that either licensing the round hole opener from Spyderco, or using standard BM thumstuds (orange, to accent the handle) would have made more sense for this design. But what do I know, I'm just some guy on the internet haha..

I love the look of it, love the steel, the thin blade stock and the clip point. I don't like the hunter orange handle, so I'll wait for someone to make green micarta handles for them.

I like the look of this, but not the bright orange scales. Black or olive drab would be great.

But for the steel and the fact that I modded my m4 bailout to a drop point I would be all over this. I predict strong sales.

You know plastic handles work pretty well. If you want something better their are options.

I'm on the fence. Was excited at first due to the steel and orange scales but have cooled off while waiting for the launch. I'd grab one if it had a thumbstud but the lack of one makes sense because the knife is marketed more towards the field/hunting community. I'll be waiting for the first hands-on reviews and then go from there.

Blade geometry and SelectEdge fantastic, guessing BTE numbers will be more consistant and much smaller then most. Seriously love the blade shape, as Enriqua's Pena Trapper and other trappers. Looking for a disassembly to see frame. What is not to like about 2.1oz, again BMC leads the way. Great that they saved weight AND delivered a handle half an inch longer then the Bugout! No experience with BMC cooked CPM 154, interesting choice...
Dreaming beyond bean counting-
So what to do with the half ounce they saved? How about spending on more grip-tillian like DNA but in colored CF-Elite with hollowed out 3D upper / outside surface with built in give, mated to lower / frame mounted 3D foundation? Or a longer lasting, tough, stainess, starting with BMC's verson of s90v and progressing to MC. And of coarse I would gladly pay extra for optional Rockwell number and dimple for my unit, or less expensive batching number range with dimple. Factory dimples are only bad for the dim-witted, which is very harsh language, but sadly true.

Last edited:
Price is too high for what it is. I wish they would have licensed the spyderhole from spyderco like they did on the griptillians. im interested to see how thin it actually be ground behind the edge.

Choice of CPM154 might be a good one for the thin edge as it is a powdered metal composition and I’ve always thought it was confusing to use the same number as 154CM

I splurged and ordered one and it should arrive on Tuesday so I’ll see what it’s like first hand

Some information about the steel seen here

G2

Choice of CPM154 might be a good one for the thin edge as it is a powdered metal composition and I’ve always thought it was confusing to use the same number as 154CM

I splurged and ordered one and it should arrive on Tuesday so I’ll see what it’s like first hand

Some information about the steel seen here

G2
You're right, and it'll matter compared to 154cm, but I'll argue that being a PM steel doesn't mean much anymore since so many steels are PM steels. Once you start in towards a cost of $100 or so, it's hard to find anything but them.

Back