Talwar Question

I gave a 4" serrated Talwar to a lady friend about two months ago. We were talking recently and she told me that the knife is no good. I asked in what way. She said the blade is starting to show signs of rust and the handle is peeling . I asked what have you been doing with the knife and she said food prep in the kitchen. Washes after then throws in the dish rack to dry!

The handles are American G-10. Is this material something that should not get wet at any time?

I gave a 4" serrated Talwar to a lady friend about two months ago. We were talking recently and she told me that the knife is no good. I asked in what way. She said the blade is starting to show signs of rust and the handle is peeling . I asked what have you been doing with the knife and she said food prep in the kitchen. Washes after then throws in the dish rack to dry!

The handles are American G-10. Is this material something that should not get wet at any time?
Moisture shouldn’t affect the G10. I’m wondering if she sometimes runs it through a dishwasher, which might get hot enough to do damage. I also wonder what kind of peeling? If G10 gets too dry then it takes on a chalky white appearance that can be remedied with oil. Maybe some kind of solvent/cleaner could damage it…

The rust is not surprising. I’ve had s35vn get rusty before from not maintaining it in wet/salty conditions.

The dish washing detergent is most likely drying out the G10 handle scales.

What, are you nuts? You give her a ring, then you give her the Talwar! Now listen carefully, is the blade AUS8A, CTS-XHP or S35VN? (I have Talwars in the first two, not the third.) Any chance we can get a photo?

The knife, not the girl. Wait, reverse that. Wait, both!

What, are you nuts? You give her a ring, then you give her the Talwar! Now listen carefully, is the blade AUS8A, CTS-XHP or S35VN? (I have Talwars in the first two, not the third.) Any chance we can get a photo?

The knife, not the girl. Wait, reverse that. Wait, both!
AUS8A

I've heard people complain about AUS8A rusting, but have never had that problem. Also, some people have more corrosive body chemistries than others. BreakFree® is superb in protecting guns and knives, and treated steels ward off corrosion, even with samples exposed to salt spray. You also have to shake it before use because it has Teflon particles. That said, this needs to come off before using in the kitchen, as Teflon is dangerous to digest. Even if the knife appears dry, the protecterant is still there. If your girlfriend is going to use the Talwar in the kitchen, it can be cleaned and dried after use, but not soaked in soapy water. That will kill most good knife steels.

Last edited:
I was told many years ago to never put any knife in the dishwasher. Might have been an urban legend, but I have stuck by that advice.

Back