The Arc Thread...

I just opened my Arc yesterday. Being Christmas, I didn't get to mess with it much until last evening watching tv and getting to know it. It is a testament to American ingenuity and quality, well built and smooth.

I doubt I ever carry it without the sheath and will eventually make my own and melt the Chinese one Leatherman includes. I may buy one of their American made leather ones which they should have included. Or I may buy another American Benchcraft leather sheath like the one holding my old SOG.

So, my original plan was to remove the clip. But I think I'm going to wait a few days. It makes it hard to pull out of the sheath for now, as it's all still new and tight, however it's in a perfect place for grip when opening the (Magnacut) knife blade. And, it is also a point of reference, after I get to know it, of where everything is, in the case of darkness and or inability to see what you're doing.

I used the heck out of my old American built SOG's and fully intend to use this one as I own property, build stuff, have a daughter with an old house, have an old house myself and am a constant tinkerer and handyman. I'm smart enough to NOT stick a large steel wire into the cutters incorrectly and will not "try" to break them. If I break them, I have the 40-year warranty because I bought it from Leatherman. As of today, I'm very impressed with it and like it.

A lot.

4jzt9M5.jpg

While most YT reviews have praised it, I've read some hits re: the wire cutter blades. Now, I have little need for a multi-tool at all but initially, this model interested me due to the Magnacut steel blade. I have a Wave and a Wave + but they're extremely light use for me and, most of the time, it's just the pliers I use. One is kept in my vehicle glove box and the other is kept in a kitchen drawer. I have proper tools in both the vehicle and house but it's just a quicker reach for the MT most of the time. Hope to read some field tests here as more Arcs find their way into our community.

Is there a serial # on this thing?

Where?

I'm guessing I don't need to register it since I bought it directly from Leatherman?

I went to the Leatherman site and did register it. Very simple, probably didn't need to, but I did it anyhow.

The Arc sure isn't getting the interest online I thought it would. At least not on this site.

The Arc sure isn't getting the interest online I thought it would. At least not on this site.
I grabbed one of the Garage ones that’s virtually the same and have been actually using it. It’s great but if actually shopping on value and not “latest and greatest” I don’t know how you could possibly justify it vs the Wave that offers a very similar tool set for less than half the price. I can sorta see a $50 premium for Magnacut and other minor enhancements but 105>229 is a crazy leap.

I know it sounds like an a-hole whiney thing to say but the ARK wasn’t made for working person - it was made for knife hobbyist. Not saying they aren’t used by people who get it but many surely aren’t buying it for work.

I know it sounds like an a-hole whiney thing to say but the ARK wasn’t made for working person - it was made for knife hobbyist.

Is there a source for that? I'm not going to argue against the idea that a lot of, or maybe even most of the people who bought an Arc actually did so for reasons other than work (in my opinion most of them simply wanted a cool toy to play with and to show off), but if you're telling me that's what Leatherman intended all along, then... wow. That would be a stunning admission.

Is there a source for that? I'm not going to argue against the idea that a lot of, or maybe even most of the people who bought an Arc actually did so for reasons other than work (in my opinion most of them simply wanted a cool toy to play with and to show off), but if you're telling me that's what Leatherman intended all along, then... wow. That would be a stunning admission.
Not so very clearly put from me.
What I intended to say is that I can’t see ARK as something average working man would get, especially with the economy going down the drain right now. In the last six months here we have read that handful of LARGE construction firms have come bankrupt and unemployement is on the rise. Lot of insecurity about future in the air at the moment, including myself, and if I was some blumber or carpenter looking for new multitool and randomly saw 300€ multitool on the shelf (say, versus 100€ rebar/wave) I would be baffled. Lots of better places to put your money right now like your savings account.

Not so very clearly put from me.
What I intended to say is that I can’t see ARK as something average working man would get, especially with the economy going down the drain right now. In the last six months here we have read that handful of LARGE construction firms have come bankrupt and unemployement is on the rise. Lot of insecurity about future in the air at the moment, including myself, and if I was some blumber or carpenter looking for new multitool and randomly saw 300€ multitool on the shelf (say, versus 100€ rebar/wave) I would be baffled. Lots of better places to put your money right now like your savings account.

All I'm reading is "Leatherman is out of touch", and I would tend to agree with that. But I'm sure their top guys must be very well paid and they must think very highly of themselves. Almost as if they are rock stars.

All of the above is of course just my opinion.
I am sure the..
EEH WCHDEE CHFWEE crowd disagree and I am fine with that.

I'm just an old redneck guitar/mandolin player with some old property and a hunting cabin on 30 acres and I bought one. Hell, a tank of gas and a 12 pack is a hundred dollars. Buncha whiners.

I got a bad cold right after Christmas and didn't get to mess with mine much, but yesterday my daughter stopped by and said her glasses had a lens fall out. Poof! My old SOG couldn't have fixed that.

VxuGIb8.jpg

I’ve been thinking about getting one but would like to handle one to see how the action works and getting the tools deployed. A couple weeks ago I was using my Wave in the cold and I was struggling with cold stiff fingers to get some of the tools out of the well. I have read some mixed feedback where some say the Arc is easy and smooth action to open where others have complained about stiff or rough opening tools.

I really don’t want to lay down that much cash to find out it doesn’t help me. What say you guys that have one? Do the tools in the well come out easy or do you have to work at it ? Thanks in advance.

That's why I bought it. My old SOG Powerlock was about shot after well over a decade of abuse. So I bought a Rebar.

I never bonded with it, it was simply too hard to get used to. I know after a few years it would break in, but I'm not a young man, and I use my multi-tool every day.

The Arc is smooth and easy to get tools out, slick locking, and just a well tuned, quality tool.

Night and day.

That's why I bought it. My old SOG Powerlock was about shot after well over a decade of abuse. So I bought a Rebar.

I never bonded with it, it was simply too hard to get used to. I know after a few years it would break in, but I'm not a young man, and I use my multi-tool every day.

The Arc is smooth and easy to get tools out, slick locking, and just a well tuned, quality tool.

Night and day.
Thanks that’s what I was hoping for cause I’m not as nimble fingered as I used to be especially in the cold. I’m not wanting one just because of the Magnacut blade but for easier better opening and action. I have dedicated knives with Magnacut I use and my multi tool is for backup. The magnacut blade will be nice though and not a deal breaker.

Thanks that’s what I was hoping for cause I’m not as nimble fingered as I used to be especially in the cold.

That was why I couldn't hang with the Rebar. It actually had all the tools I'd need, but it was just so damned stiff. Like I said, my old tool was broken in quite well and I was used to it.

The Arc, however, is just slick and smooth right out of the box.

Back