The "Gaucho" Knife

Now if you want to get fancy, I bet Oosik would be cool. Would it be hard to get in Montana?

Got an idea, make one in the traditional materials for the handle, then make one with a canvas micarta handle in a smaller blade to be a companion knife, or can make matching handles. Ivory micarta would be striking with an off white look, or even burgundy. Also, I think a Brut de forge bolster would be cool and unique, adds character.

Last edited:
dibs on the word ass pointy integral thingy?

looks ok to me.
We usually give Dibs to the thread starter when it comes to an idea thread like this if they're interested then open in up to posters in the thread.

It's gonna be an interesting knife if I can pull it off. The integral bolster was really challenging to forge but I think we'll be in good shape.

We usually give Dibs to the thread starter when it comes to an idea thread like this if they're interested then open in up to posters in the thread.

It's gonna be an interesting knife if I can pull it off. The integral bolster was really challenging to forge but I think we'll be in good shape.
well mostly I was just saying it looks well done kind of ''dibs''

cant wait to see the finished product thanks for the update

Ok I may have missed a true Gaucho and ended up with a weird ass pointy integral thing..... but I think it might be a pretty cool weird ass pointy integral thing when it's done.
View attachment 2033072

There’s something to be said for a long, slender, and nimble blade. It’s looking real good, John.

My boy helping draw the tang out. He's obsessed with forging, who can blame him?
View attachment 2033483

I love this. If he keeps it up, he’ll be the next Liam Hoffman. Thrills me to death when the young ‘uns are interested in learning a craft.

makes sense that hes pressuring you for a pneumatic hammer now
We sat down on New Years Eve to count our blessings and talk about what we wanted to do in 2023. Everything Roy had to say was somehow related to forging, getting me a press, a new forge, a huge shop, it was pretty funny.
There’s something to be said for a long, slender, and nimble blade. It’s looking real good, John.

I love this. If he keeps it up, he’ll be the next Liam Hoffman. Thrills me to death when the young ‘uns are interested in learning a craft.
It's at around 10 1/2" from the plunge right now, I was gonna cut it down a bit but I think it's gonna be pretty nimble where it's at.

If the kids stick with the forging and leatherwork they could have some serious skill in a few years (funny you mention that because Roy found Hoffmans book the other day in the bookshelf and has been reading it). We just revamped the leather room last week and opened up a huge amount of space. Really excited about what they've got going on.

Ok I may have missed a true Gaucho and ended up with a weird ass pointy integral thing..... but I think it might be a pretty cool weird ass pointy integral thing when it's done.
View attachment 2033072
Looks like a Mediterranean dirk or Persian kard. I'm a huge fan of kards, which surprised me more than I thought. I've made a couple kards and they are at the very top of the list of favorite knives I've made.

Looks like a Mediterranean dirk or Persian kard. I'm a huge fan of kards, which surprised me more than I thought. I've made a couple kards and they are at the very top of the list of favorite knives I've made.

Thanks for mentioning that John, I've never seen a Mediterranean Dirk or a Persian kard before but after looking them up they sure are close to what I unintentionally have going on here, especially the dirk.

Thanks for mentioning that John, I've never seen a Mediterranean Dirk or a Persian kard before but after looking them up they sure are close to what I unintentionally have going on here, especially the dirk.
No problem. Yours is looking great and I'm excited to see what you do with it.

No problem. Yours is looking great and I'm excited to see what you do with it.
Thanks John, I'm gonna try to run some bands around the bolster and put a mesquite burl handle topped off with a thin rounded butt cap and a peened tang. Any ideas on how to dress it up other than that?

Oh damn that's nice. I've been wanting to do some carving in a handle for a while. That Spanish notch is epic too.

No clue what I'm doing here.

Drilled a hole to start the spanish notch, will try to cut the rest out with a jeweler's saw. Need to clean up the grinds, maybe grind a swedge in (not sure yet, it's such a clean blade without one) and cut in the rear of the bolster so it'll mate with a handle and clean up the tang. Really hoping this thing works out, I'm diggin it.
20230108_203441-01.jpeg

Back