The history of the American Hone Company. A chance to buy a piece of history.

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
The Story goes like this. (Forgive the length but it is worth reading.) This is a true story based on the facts as I recieved them from an employee of the company.

There was a company out of Olean, New York called the American Hone Company. Sometime in the early 1900s a man named Merle Johnson bought the company and moved it to Moravia Iowa shortly thereafter.

The company Merle bought made honing stones for sharpening knives, scissors, and anything else that had an edge on it. Once Merle settled in Iowa he hired employees to run his new company. One of these employees was named Louis Hiatt. Her job was to make and bake the sharpening stones using the recipes that Merle Johnson bought with the company. Louis was very clever but at this time she had the added benefit of being able to contact the original owners to refine the techniques for baking these stones using the various ingredients of each differing recipe. If something didn't work right she could easily correct it back then.

Of all the various stones American Hone Co. made the most famous stone was called 00 Frictionite. Barber shops and beauty salons all over the world began buying them because they simply worked better than anything else available. Perhaps the biggest customers for these stones were lumberjacks who used them to sharpen their axe heads for competitions. (and still do today if they are lucky enough to have one.)

These stones could be used with water or oil, or they could be used dry. In the industry these stones were referred to as 'hot hones' because they were actually baked to manufacture them using natural ingredients in the form of grit powders from various stones and silica from all over the United States.

Some of the other more famous sharpening instruments were the Sportsmans stick called 'cold hones' because they were not baked but manufactured in a press much as the hot hones were only no baking was needed. Louis saw to it that these stones were made too. These little stones were a hit with fisherman and knife enthusiasts all over the country because they worked so well at sharpening knives, fish hooks, arrows, darts and virtually any other edged instruments carried and used by sportsman.

Customers of this business in Moravia Iowa called simply the American Hone Company included as I said earlier, lumber jacks that still use the products to sharpen their axe heads for competition when and if they can find them. Flute and wind instrument makers used them for sharpening their reed cutting instruments. Violin makers, Barbers, Beauticians, Doctors, Dentists, Outdoorsman and the list goes on and on. My Grandfather had one of these stones and I inherited it from his estate when he died. I can attest to how well they work. If you have one consider yourself lucky because what is out there is all there is.

You see, one Christmas morning not too long ago Louis Hiatt was found dead in her home. And although all the recipes to make these sharpening stones survived her no one has ever been able to make them work. Many people have tried. It soon became apparent to all who knew Louis that the craft of making these stones died with her on that Christmas day. At this time there are no more of the 00 Frictionite stones or 'hot hones' left for sale from American Hone Company. All of the other courser grit stones but less popular stones that were of the 'hot hone' variety have also been sold out.

As of this writing, September 3, 2004, all that is left of this wonderful woman's craft are a few dozen of the 'cold hone' sportsmans sticks. Once they are gone that will conclude the sale of the craft that died with this woman. If you would like to buy a piece of history. You have that opportunity now to do so.. After that all that is left of the art of making these stones is the recipes that no one can duplicate no matter how hard they try.

The business equipment used to make these sharpening stones is for sale at this time also. The recipes go with it when it sells. Anyone interested in trying to revive this lost art may contact the good folks at 1-800-582-2554 to discuss the possibility of acquiring the whole of what remains, or to just purchase one of the few remaining sharpening sticks called the sportsmans hone, contact Annie Scott at the same number.

If the fact that this art died with Louis intriques you like it did me call and purchase a piece of history today for around $11 plus or minus including shipping. Once these last sportsmans hones are sold out that is all that will ever be unless some clever individual can re-discover the lost art of how to make these wonderful sharpening stones again.

I'm amazed that a company whose entire business is manufacturing these stones would have let the whole thing rest on one person's skills. If it was my company, I'd have written the process down somewhere. Who knows, maybe they did, but one day they spilled a soda and couldn't find a paper towel.

I wonder who'll bid on the business equipment for making stones that nobody knows how to make anymore?

It does make one wonder doesn't it? I thought the same thing.

From what I gathered in talking with Annie over the phone the recipes are all written down but there are little details about certain key elements in the pressing of the baked (and unbaked) products they produced that makes the material bind and stay together that are missing or unknown. The recipe sounded like the kind of things I read about how soap was made. I felt similar when my grandmother died and her old lye soap recipes died with her.

I guess it is kind of like a recipe for a heat treatments of steel too for that matter. You can follow the directions and still not get it just the way the guy you learned it from did because you did one thing too long or another too little in the long chain of activities needed to make the end result just right.

Anyway, I thought since it was part of cutlery history I'd post the facts as they were presented to me. I bought three of the remaining sportsmans hones today. I thought maybe someone else may want one or two also.

Many years ago, Unitrode Semiconductor stumbled upon some transistors that had a very strange behavior. I was a wonderful and valuable behavior that could be exploited to build a key radio system and other military and civilian applications too. Unitrode found that about half the batches they made had this strange behavior. Nobody could explain why. But, they went on making them anyway and simply throwing away half the batches. And so it went for years.

Suddenly, the magic stopped happening. They tried and tried, but no batches had the magic behavior. Something must have changed! But every ingredient and every process was checked. Nothing had changed.

A famous consultant was called in. He also checked every raw material and every ingredient. He carefully quizzed every employee about every detail. Nothing had changed. They were doing the process the exact way it had always been done. He interviewed the workers on the other production lines in the building to see if they'd changed anything in their processes that might somehow have affected the critical line. Nothing. He started to interview all of the other employees in the building trying to find any one employee who had changed anything in that building. Every detail was investigated. Finally, he came to the janitor. He was new to the plant. The old janitor was brought back in. Everything was checked and rechecked. Everything was being done exactly as he had done it.

As they were leaving the janitor noticed a rat caught in a rat trap along the outside of the building. The trap was supposed to have killed the rat, but this one was still alive. The old janitor commented on it and, after a bit of prodding, finally confessed that when he found one in a trap still alive, he used to torment the little creature by dipping it slowly into one of the pots of molten material inside the factory.

"Which pot?"

"That one over there," the janitor said pointing to the pot where the material for the magic transistors was prepared.

Investigation found that the rat traps were baited with a poison bait that contained cyanide. When the old janitor had dipped the rats into the pot of molten material, just enough of the cyanide had gotten into the process to give the transistors their magic property.

Unitrode promptly patented the discovery, though not the exact process for introducting the cyanide into the semiconductor.

And to this day, some types of transistors are doped with just a tiny amount of cyanide.

Gollnick said:
Unitrode promptly patented the discovery, though not the exact process for introducting the cyanide into the semiconductor.

And to this day, some types of transistors are doped with just a tiny amount of cyanide.
What an amazing story, and just crazy and bizarre enough to be true.

Advertising is not allowed on this forum.
-Cougar Allen :{)

http://www.mailmsg.com/sounds/spam-song.wav
attachment.php

Sorry, advertising is not allowed on this forum. If you want to advertise on Bladeforums you'll have to get a Gold (or Dealer) Membership and post in the Exchange section. Click on "Upgrade your forums experience, and help support this site" at the top of the page for details. EDIT By the moderator of this forum! It is my forum I can post what I want.
attachment.php

Back