The official “things you can do with a sharpened pry bar thread”

Just received my pry bar and oh my damn! At first when I picked up the box I wondered what Jo must have sent me by accident, because the box was waaaay heavier than expected. I like to pride myself in owning some fairly ridiculous knives, but this thing is crazy even for me! The girth of this thing is insane. The heft of this thing is insane. I guess what I'm saying is, my love for this thing is insane too!

RT97qcZ.jpg

Last edited:
Just received my pry bar and oh my damn! At first when I picked up the box I wondered what Jo must have sent me by accident, because the box was waaaay heavier than expected. I like to pride myself in owning some fairly ridiculous knives, but this thing is crazy even for me! The girth of this thing is insane. The heft of this thing is insane. I guess what I'm saying is, my love for this thing is insane too!

RT97qcZ.jpg
Now I must have one.

I can’t really compare it to Nathan’s other knives as it’s not a knife 😉

With leather work gloves it feels great in the hand holding it like a knife. Without gloves is not comfortable for me.
My hands are on the small side of large if that makes sense.
BFK for reference.

View attachment 2344985View attachment 2344986
Hmm, my hands are on the large side of small? Does that mean it'll fit me well? 🤣

It is, legit, a fantastic scraper. You've never seen such a hard abrasion resistant durable scraping tool. I used it to scrape rust off of a flatbed for about an hour and it was still pretty sharp. I used it today to scrape epoxy off of a fixture. Used it as a hammer. It is fast becoming one of Ben and my favorite shop tools. Because everything is straight and square, it is surprisingly precision. There are things we'd been using wood chisels for that we no longer reach for a chisel. And I cut a (unhardened steel) chain with it, just to see if it would have any problems. It was fine.

a set of non-conducting handles would be good for this pry tool.
imagine there is an earthquake, and a power pole and power lines fall down onto your Ford truck broken down on side of road, and I drive by in my Toyota (which is running fine) and I want to pry you out with my CPK sharpened pry bar, but I could easily be electrocuted. This is a dilemma, and I do not want to be responsible for leaving someone in a broken down Ford truck that is all electrified by a power pole to just waste away from dehydration……but I also do not want to die from electrical shock.

something to consider if you drive a Ford truck.

imagine there is an earthquake, and a power pole and power lines fall down onto your Ford truck broken down on side of road, and I drive by in my Toyota (which is running fine) and I want to pry you out with my CPK sharpened pry bar, but I could easily be electrocuted. This is a dilemma, and I do not want to be responsible for leaving someone in a broken down Ford truck that is all electrified by a power pole to just waste away from dehydration……but I also do not want to die from electrical shock.

Gloves

I’d rather die in my Ford than live with the shame of driving a Toyota.

Just kidding, we have two.

I would be grateful to have your help in the described scenario, but could care less if you get electrocuted in the process as long as I get saved. Does that make me a bad person?

You'd have to take into consideration that absolutely NONE of the production CPKs in the Encyclopedia would fit this particular narrow scenario/use-case.

For one; despite the rest of them having handle scales, they're all full tang, so there's exposed metal between the scales.

For another; the scales are attached with metal screws and posts.

For the narrow use-case you've described, you'd need to have the handles dipped/fully coated in something non-conductive (as all Electrician/Lineman's tools are).

Since these were originally designed without handle scales, this would make the handles even bigger, which might be problematic for some, but an owner could always try having the handles dipped/coated if they wanted to.

As someone already mentioned, it's easier to either use protective/non-conductive gloves, or simply avoid using this particular tool, for that particular use.

You'd have to take into consideration that absolutely NONE of the production CPKs in the Encyclopedia would fit this particular narrow scenario/use-case.

For one; despite the rest of them having handle scales, they're all full tang, so there's exposed metal between the scales.

For the narrow use-case you've described, you'd need to have the handles dipped/fully coated in something non-conductive (as all Electrician/Lineman's tools are).

Since these were originally designed without handle scales, this would make the handles even bigger, which might be problematic for some, but an owner could always try having the handles dipped/coated if they wanted to.

As someone already mentioned, it's easier to either use protective/non-conductive gloves, or simply avoid using this particular tool, for that particular use.
Well, I'll be dipped...

You just described a good reason to get a RMJ Shrike to be a companion tool. Plus, if the occupants of the Ford end up being zombies......

Does silicon tape conduct electricity?
(Aparently it doesn't)

You could just keep a roll handy and Magyver it.

Driving a Ford you would probably need a roll handy anyway.

Last edited:
Back