The perfect 'flop'

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Ok. This came up in a conversation Cliff Stamp and I were having on one of my review threads.

We were talking a while back about folder design though in yet another thread and although Cliff and I do disagree on a lot from time to time and even get a bit disgruntled with each other on rare occasions we do see eye to eye on many things. One is that a folder should be designed with an intended purpose in mind when you sit down to design one and that then it is best to put all elements of it toward the same goal.

When I look at folders for others, for what I plan to use as an EDC and/or write a review of I always look at them as a system, or at least try to. You know, looking at the whole of the system and how it all comes together in balance or as the case may be, out of balance. My HK29 is a prime example of a folder that has a balanced design. Everything comes together to form a system that all melds well together. In other words the pivot and stop strength match up well to the lock and handle strength and the blade thickness and profile match up to the handle style and uses the knife may see. When I see a knife with a big bull pivot and bigger stop but set up with a weaker lock I basically give the knife a lower score in my mind looking at the system that makes up the knife. I've found that both BenchMade and Spyderco make pretty balanced knives. Probably why I prefer them a lot for user knives.

Looking at knives many things can stand out to me at times and some are so outstanding that there is no other word to describe it except for a flop. In other words a disaster of design. Not to be cruel here as it is not my intention. A flop can be very well made so don't take that to mean they are crap. They just don't really do what was intended, or you have to struggle to figure out what the heck it was supposed to be designed for in the first place.

I'm interested in what some of you may see that would categorize a flop to you. Two examples I have in my own collection are the Cold Steel Spectre, which is a very well made super tough strong folder but as I said earlier. Its a flop. The handle which is highly polished slick black Micarta with bolsters in conjunction with the mirror polished blade come together to give off the aura of a gents folder. Yet the blade style is a viscious stabbing or thrusting type short sword at 5mm thick and curved like a talon. So we have a self defense or tactical style blade in a gents folder body. Someone lost their way in the design in other words so I call it a well made flop. Its not an everyday carry knife. Its not quite a gents folder, but not a survival or defense weapon either really so where do you put it? When you have to ask, 'what do you do with that knife?" you may have a flop in the making.

Another example I own is this folding Bowie I have which again is a well made super quality folding knife with beautiful stag handles and a super sharp high quality Soligen steel blade. This one happens to be made by Boker, but there are other brands out there also. This is another one of those knife designs that you look at as a whole and have to ask yourself. What the heck do you do with such a knife? How much chopping can you do with this? I suspect not much and yet, its got aspects of a fixed blade Bowie knife and a folder but does not do either design justice. I call it a flop.

What else can we add to the list? Oh yeah. Try to be kind please. No real reason to be mean or disrespectful. I happen to collect flops when I see them and zero in on knives that I see that qualify at least to me. Some may not be ones that you guys agree with, while others are easier to see what I'm referring to.

Here are some pics of two stand outs in my opinion. And also, for the record, I added the pocket hook opener to the Spectre shown here by the knife that started the Spectre folder idea. The Dawson Spike fixed blade, which is more in balance and easier to hold on to than the folder. So the folder is not exactly factory. I still have trouble opening this one using the thumb stud. It has a really strong detent in it. Without the pocket hook I couldn't even use it really.

STR

Well according to your criterium its a knife thats neither fish nor fowl equates to a flop so by that definition I submit the Boker Smatchet. A fat dagger like thing that seems at home on the end of a really burly spear hunting leopard seal in the great white north.

HS2.jpg

Don't lock into my criteria. Nothing I say is set in stone. I just look at them as described. Your view may be different and I'm interested in that also. Thats a good one you mentioned. At least I think it is.

STR

They just don't really do what was intended, or you have to struggle to figure out what the heck it was supposed to be designed for in the first place.

And people accuse me of trying to stir the pot, good question, though I doubt it will generate sensible dicussion. One of the worst examples I have seen was with the Green Beret, the knife had conflicts between all aspects of the design and some parts which just didn't make any sense such as a raised tang in the grip and multiple sharp points. The main reason a lot of knives are like that is quite simply because they are designed for visual appeal. Just see how often you see a clear description of what a knife was designed for and not some vague commentary on how it is the ultimate of some type of knife. That is fine and all but how about you say exactly what criteria you are using and how the knife is designed to maximize them.

-Cliff

Just see how often you see a clear description of what a knife was designed for and not some vague commentary on how it is the ultimate of some type of knife. That is fine and all but how about you say exactly what criteria you are using and how the knife is designed to maximize them.

Even if not clear. Its nice to at least find that a knife will lean in some direction toward something that you can put your finger on instead of partly in one, partly in another or another still but not really doing anything right. Even if it isn't so clear as to be cut and dry if one area is strong its not a flop. Otherwise you are left wondering what the design was intended for overall. You know, if visual appeal was all they originally wanted when it was designed thats fine as you say, if it is described that way by some statement I guess, like designed for maximum visual appeal or intimidation, which believe it or not I have seen.

As for stirring the pot. Most knives I buy are pretty well balanced or leaning in a strong direction of purpose or design so you don't really question its intent or its purpose much if at all. The true flops don't come up that often I don't think. I mean if you want to be hyper critical I'm sure you can find much to talk about as with anything. This thread is more for my own collecting of them to get other ideas as to what to look for rather than to stir the pot BTW.

STR

That Boker is a beautiful flop, it could be a fighter or the mechanism is for chocking up on the handle for delicate cutting? probably just a wierd collector thing though. I always wondered how the same people who came up with the applegate fairbian dagger came up with a monstrosity like the smatchet?
Did they drop acid and stare at a dagger untill it got fat and out of perspective?

I'm sure the people who came up with the Applegate Fairbairn dagger wouldn't understand why you don't also appreciate their Smatchet. Maybe you just need some historical perspective. There is a niche between knife and short sword. I bet a Roman soldier would have been happy with a Smatchet. His Celtic opponent might have liked one too, maybe a little bit longer. :)

Very good point Esav. As a pure killing weapon it would lean strong in one direction and one direction only wouldn't it? It could function as a superb back up weapon to a long sword for sure and maybe flip some flap jacks in the morning. :D Did the Romans eat flap jacks? :confused:

Seriously I think looking at it from that perspective its apparent it doesn't go on the list. In the hand in that photo it looks small but it may actually be a pretty balanced out piece for what its design was intended for.

STR

I may have been wrong about the smatchet Esav. I am a big fan of the WW2 combatives system those guys produced in fact I see there techniques as much better than most current military hand to hand training. They probably designed specific moves that made the most of the smatchets shape. It is still ugly though especially compared to the SF or AF daggers.

Neh. I can appreciate where your leaning by throwing in the short angle but this wasn't an homage piece to the holy roman empire, it was an overall flop in design and execution.

From Fairbairn circa 1942 on what it is-
"The psychological reaction of any man, when he first takes the smatchet in his hand is full justification for its recommendation as a fighting weapon. He will immediately register all the essential qualities of good soldier - confidence, determination, and aggressiveness. Its balance, weight and killing power, with the point, edge or pommel, combined with the extremely simple training necessary to become efficient in its use, make it the ideal personal weapon for all those not armed with a rifle and bayonet."

This is a wonderful concept albiet ill concieved when both the Colt 1911 and SW M&Ps were around in addition to the Ka Bar. I can't see our boys being outclassed in the least calling for a "Smatchet".

But then again Boker is touting Jim Wagner Reality Based Stabby Thing which brings me to my next flop....

Their soldiers' diet was heavy on grains. MMM ... WAFFLES !!! :D

Just to give you an idea of what a Roman "pugio" looked like
pugiox1.jpg
Armae-Pugio.jpg

The Wagner Boker is an Ugly knife I actually like. It is designed for a specific purpose and seems to have everything a fighting folder needs.
Not to hijack but any other ugly knives?

The Wagner Boker is an Ugly knife I actually like. It is designed for a specific purpose and seems to have everything a fighting folder needs.
Not to hijack but any other ugly knives?

I am not doubting the ability to stab away with the Wagner brand of fighting what I am saying is "blood grooves and the hilt/pocket snagger" are means to a flop. Its gimmicky and over the top, the idea seems to be use it once then leave it in the evidence lock up for a year.

Just and opinion here though, nobody else seems to be into naming what they think of as flops...

Not a knife but the Gerber solstice sucks in practice but looks like it should work great.

Here's a great example of a "flop" (at least in my opinion):

The Benchmade 730 Ares.

I love everything about this knife...great materials, wonderful fit-and-finish, near perfect EDC size, awesome locking mechanism...

But then I actually held one...
The finger groove is in the wrong place for me and makes it one of the most uncomfortable knives that I have ever held.
If it had the same handle as the Stryker it would be nearly perfect.

That's exactly the complaint I have with so many finger grooves and index finger choils. So many are too small for my index finger or the spacing between my fingers and it throws the whole grip off.

STR: This thread is great!! And it has me thinking about "flop" knives. At this very moment, I can not think of any. The two you had listed are good examples though.

I'd like to weigh in "authorized copies" that become value engineered become flops.

I bought a 887 Tarani Police Advocate manufactered in Idaho Falls. The 420 mod steel blade performed as expected, but the inclusion of a thin, failure prone liner lock and overly checkered handles made it ridiculous in use. You could trust it to saw a slot in your jeans pocket or your fingers if it closed on you. Who needs a reproduction bull pivot on a FRN handled knife with a tin foil liner? No balance.

I subsequently bought a SnG. Balance as designed - even thinner in the pocket, just enough weave texture on the G10, solid lockup, superior cutting ability, fitted and finished - which only reinforced my negativity to the Psuedo PSnG. I have a few other inexpensive knives, like a psuedo Kerambit, or Kershaw's Vapor II, which have more balance in design and construction.

The sum of the parts and features can be less than the pile on the assembly bench.

The ATAX.
Something that seems to want to be everything.
Ends up being... nothing...

Back